Author Topic: The Sublime Samurai (The Bushido of Nine Swords)  (Read 4270 times)

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
The Sublime Samurai (The Bushido of Nine Swords)
« on: July 21, 2009, 08:38:05 AM »
The Samurai
"I am as my father made me. And as his father made him. I am Bushido." - Gi Rururin, a Sublime Samurai.

HD: d12

Saves: Good Fort, Poor Ref, Poor Will

Alignment: Any Lawful

LV  Base Attack Bonus    Class Features                     M. Known  M. Ready  Stances
1.   +1                  Ancestral Daisho, Daisho Mastery       3         3        1
2.   +2                  Ki Roar, Ki Smite 1/enc                4         3        1
3.   +3                                                         5         3        1
4.   +4                  Ancestor's Blessing                    5         4        1
5.   +5                                                         6         4        2
6.   +6/+1               Improved Duel of Wills                 6         4        2
7.   +7/+2               Ki Smite 2/enc                         7         4        2
8.   +8/+3               Ancestor's Blessing                    7         4        2
9.   +9/+4               Improved Ki Roar                       8         4        2
10.  +10/+5                                                     8         5        3
11.  +11/+6/+1           Greater Duel of Wills                  9         5        3
12.  +12/+7/+2           Ki Smite 3/enc                         9         5        3
13.  +13/+8/+3                                                 10         5        3
14.  +14/+9/+4           Ancestor's Blessing                   10         5        3
15.  +15/+10/5                                                 11         6        4
16.  +16/+11/+6/+1       Superior Duel of Wills                11         6        4
17.  +17/+12/+7/+2       Ki Smite 4/enc                        12         6        4
18.  +18/+13/+8/+3       Greater Ki Roar                       12         6        4
19.  +19/+14/+9/+4       Ancestor's Blessing                   13         6        4
20.  +20/+15/+10/+5      Mastery of Will                       13         7        5

Class Skills (4+Int): As Warblade + Iaijutsu Focus.

Proficiencies: All simple and martial melee weapons, Longbow, Shortbow, Bastard Sword, Light and Medium Armor, no shields.

Maneuvers: A Samurai has access to the Devoted Spirit, Diamond Mind, and White Raven disciplines. He learns and uses these maneuvers in much the same way that a Warblade would, however he recovers them using a unique method. Samurai make extensive use of the Duel of Wills usage of the Intimidate skill (Tome of Battle, pg 27). As such, during any round that a Samurai deals damage to the target of his Duel of Wills with a melee attack, which is not made as part of a Strike, he recovers one expended maneuver. Further, during any round in which the target of a Samurai's Duel of Wills is dropped to 0 hitpoints, whether by the Samurai's hand or not, the Samurai recovers all of his expended maneuvers.

Ancestral Daisho (Su): The Samurai begins play with a Masterwork Katana and a Masterwork Wakazashi, and as he gains levels he may enhance them by spending time in prayer. As a Samurai acquires treasure, he has the option of awakening supernatural properties latent in his Daisho. At any time, a Samurai may retreat to a shrine or temple and spend time in prayer devoted to the ancestral spirits dwelling within his Katana and Wakazashi. This requires a sacrifice of valuables with a total worth equal to 1/2 the price of the effective weapon enhancement bonus the Samurai wishes to obtain. This sacrifice can be of pure coinage, or it can be made with items as well. This ritual requires 24 hours to perform, and during this time he must spend 8 hours in supplications before his blades. The Samurai can awaken either his Katana or his Wakazashi, or both at once if he chooses. If he chooses to awaken both at once, he must sacrifice twice the valuables, but can bestow different enhancements upon each if he chooses.

A Samurai must be at least 4th level to awaken his Daisho to +1 enhancement bonus, and at least 7th level to awaken it to +2. Every two levels after 7th, the enhancement bonus the Samurai is able to awaken in his Daisho increases by 1. Whenever the Samurai performs this ritual he can remove old enhancement bonus to exchange them for an equal amount of new enhancement bonuses. A Samurai's Daisho are not considered to be enchanted or magical items, and the properties awakened in the blades are considered supernatural in nature.

Daisho Mastery (Ex): At 1st level, a Samurai gains Two-Weapon Fighting as the feat, as long as he wields his Ancestral Daisho (his Masterwork Katana and Masterwork Wakazashi). Further, when gaining feats, he may ignore the Dexterity score requirements of any Two-Weapon Fighting feats, but may gain the benefits of them if he wields his Daisho, or if he has the requisite Dexterity score.

Ki Roar (Su): Starting at 2nd level, once per encouner, as a standard action, a Samurai can emit a piercing warcry, heartening his allies, and frightening his enemies. Allies within 60ft gain an immediate saving throw at the original DC against any one effect currently afflicting them. Enemies within 60ft must succeed on a Will save (DC 10+1/2 Samurai level+Samurai's Cha mod) or become Shaken for 5 rounds.

At 9th level, this ability improves, granting allies a +2 bonus to their saving throws, and causing foes to become Frightened for 5 rounds if they fail their saves, or Shaken for 1 round, if they succeed.

At 18th level this ability improves again, allowing allies to make saving throws against any or all effects currently afflicting them, and causing foes to become Panicked for 5 rounds if they fail their saves, or Shaken for 5 rounds, if they succeed.

Ki Smite (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, once per encounter, a Samurai can make a Smiting attack against a foe that damaged an ally, or effected an ally with a spell (or spell-like/supernatural effect) in this round or the previous round (you do not count as your own ally for this ability). This attack gains a bonus to the attack and damage roll equal to your Charisma modifier. Every five levels after 2nd, you gain an additional use of Ki Smite per encounter. Ki Smite can be used in conjunction with any Strike maneuver.

Ancestor's Blessing (Su): Samurai bring themselves closer and closer to divinity each day, constantly working to please their ancestral benefactors, through meditation and the perfection of body. At 4th, 8th, 14th, and 19th levels, select one the following abilities -

Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, Mettle, Improved Uncanny Dodge (requires Uncanny Dodge), Improved Evasion (Requires Evasion), Immunity to Fear, Immunity to Charms and Compulsions, Immunity to all Diseases, Immunity to all Poisons, Damage Reduction 2/-- (can be taken multiple times, stacks), Energy Resistance 10 (Acid, Cold, Electricity or Fire; can be taken multiple times, stacks), +2 divine bonus to a single ability score (can be taken multiple times, stacks), +10 divine bonus to speed (can be taken multiple times, stacks).

Improved Duel of Wills (Ex): Starting at 6th level, a Samurai can instigate a Duel of Wills from 60ft away, and whenever he does he can target any enemies adjacent to the original target as well. The penalties for Submitting increases to -4 to initiative and -2 to attacks. The bonuses for the target Ignoring your challenge increase to +2 to attack rolls. If the target Participates, the bonuses for winning increase to +2 to attacks and damage, and the penalties for losing increase to -2 to attacks and damage.

At 11th level, this ability becomes Greater Duel of Wills, allowing the Samurai to instigate a Duel of Wills from 90ft away, and to target enemies within 10ft of the original target. The penalties for Submitting increases to -6 to initiative and -3 to attacks. The bonuses for the target Ignoring your challenge increase to +3 to attack rolls. If the target Participates, the bonuses for winning increase to +3 to attacks and damage, and the penalties for losing increase to -3 to attacks and damage.

At 16th level, this ability becomes Superior Duel of Wills, allowing the Samurai to instigate a Duel of Wills from 120ft away, and to target enemies within 30ft of the original target. The penalties for Submitting increases to -10 to initiative and -4 to attacks. The bonuses for the target Ignoring your challenge increase to +4 to attack rolls. If the target Participates, the bonuses for winning increase to +4 to attacks and damage, and the penalties for losing increase to -4 to attacks and damage.

A Samurai can choose as many or as few additional targets within the expanded area as he likes whenever he instigates a Duel of Wills, even excluding the original target if he chooses.

Mastery of Will (Ex): At 20th level, a Samurai's Will is a terrifying weapon to behold. Whenever a 20th level Samurai deals damage to an opponent with a Strike he may instigate a Duel of Wills with that opponent. Further, whenever a Samurai targets an opponent with a Duel of Wills, the opponent does not get to choose how to react to that Duel, the Samurai chooses. If an opponent Submits in the middle of combat it must act according to its newly reduced Initiative order.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 03:30:05 AM by bkdubs123 »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: The Sublime Samurai (The Bushido of Nine Swords)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 09:39:10 AM »
All in all, I like it.  I espescially like the flexability of Ancestor's Blessing.

Maneuvers: As Warblade, except for the recovery. During any round in which the Samurai strikes a foe with both his Katana and Wakazashi he may recover a single maneuver as a free action. He may do this any number of times each round, recovering a maneuver for each time he strikes a foe with both weapons. A Samurai can't recover maneuvers during any turn in which he used a Strike.
I have a question about this.  Is this recovery in addition to the warblade's standard recovery or does it replace it?  If it replaces it, I'm not sure I like it so much.  I don't like the idea that a samurai should be forced into using TWF, espescially since most samurai didn't acually fight with both blades at the same time.

I suppose another alternative could be to come up with several different combat styles (THF, Archery, mounted combat, etc) and give out different bonus feats at 1st, 6th, and 11th level as replacements, and modify the recovery method for each fighting style.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:47:34 AM »
I have a question about this.  Is this recovery in addition to the warblade's standard recovery or does it replace it?  If it replaces it, I'm not sure I like it so much.  I don't like the idea that a samurai should be forced into using TWF, espescially since most samurai didn't acually fight with both blades at the same time.

This Samurai's recovery mechanic does replace the normal Warblade's recovery.

I know that Samurai were traditionally either all about the Katana, or were on horseback (usually with a Composite Longbow), and that the Wakazashi was virtually for nothing but seppuku, but this was my aim at bringing the standard DnD 3.5 Samurai back into play. If I were to do the realistic Samurai styles I'd do it as Ranger-esque combat styles as you said, replacing the Two-Weapon Fighting feats with other feats, but also changing up the recovery mechanic, and beyond that, for archery and mounted combat, I'd look into homebrew disciplines to cater to the style even more.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:54:22 AM by bkdubs123 »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 12:29:41 PM »
And my concern isn't even so much from a realism stand point, but more that I just don't feel you should be forced into a sub-standard fighting style.  Granted, with Tiger Claw, you can improve things quite a bit, but without any source of extra per-attack damage, you have very little reason mechanically to pick TWF over just swinging the Katana two-handed for better damage output.  With most maneuvers being standard actions, you're not going to be using that wakizashi much other than for recharging or Tiger Claw manevures.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 06:53:33 PM »
Hrm. I guess, aside from wanting a unique recovery mechanic, I did it because I thought the Warblade's recovery mechanic was too easy for the Samurai. Which looking back seems silly since the classes seem pretty balanced against each other. I guess I should try to think of a new recovery mechanic.

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 07:23:26 PM »
I think the warblade recovery mechanic fits.  *shrug*

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 07:41:51 PM »
I think the warblade recovery mechanic fits.  *shrug*

I like to use unique recovery mechanics when I design new ToB classes. *shrug* The Warblade recovery is perfectly fine though.

Another note: Does the Ancestral Daisho ability make sense to everybody? It's my attempt to streamline and make effective the OA Samurai's ability of the same name. Essentially, you get supernaturally enhanced weapons, at 1/2 the cost (so fighting with two enchanted weapons costs the same for the Samurai as one weapon would normally cost).

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 04:59:25 AM »
Looks good, would love to play it, you're still gonna do the other samurai class too, right?  :bigeye

To gestalt the two... bwehehe, could be fun... maybe... cross-examining now...

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 09:11:13 AM »
Hrm. I guess, aside from wanting a unique recovery mechanic, I did it because I thought the Warblade's recovery mechanic was too easy for the Samurai. Which looking back seems silly since the classes seem pretty balanced against each other. I guess I should try to think of a new recovery mechanic.
Something involving intimidate/demoralize instead of attacks?   That way you're doing something with your action but you don't get to attack that round.  Or that could be one option, and a full attack with your Ancestral Daisho could be the other option.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 01:10:41 PM »
Good Stuff:   I like really the class features.

Especially, the nod to the "OA/Rokugan" ancestral daisho, while keeping the intimidate fuction of the newer(and generally suckier) one.
Bonus points for adding the Ally assitance fuction as well as removing the need for imperious command (not that I don't like "ICmd" but it works as a class ability pretty well)
Also awesome.
  Ancestral Blessing is brilliant.
It reminds me of how I really badly at one point wanted to play a unearth arcana "generic warrior" instead of a fighter. It was early on in my 3.x career so I had just a vague inkling that I was getting shafted playing the class I'd chosen. So it really is in a lot of ways stellar.

Bad stuff:
Initially, I'm not sure I completely like it really. Maybe I have a lingering doubt about making "everything"
Tob style.

Still, that small bias aside. . . a few things
1. Based on warblade. Its basically a variant warblade. I get it, and basically I understand why you choose that, I just tend to think either
A: Samurai are closer to crusaders *basically knights
B: Samurai should have thier own 3 school combination ... like Devoted Spirit, Dimond Mind, White Raven?
Though When it comes to samurai... "our samurai" are different" the old trope about trolls seems to apply.
I just totally see Samurai using "Immortal Fortitude Stance"

2. Two weapon fighting. I'm not saying make them a ranger either. I also understand that choice, CW samurai update. Its just the whole Two-weapon fighting w/o extra damage.
Though Since you went that way with it... I don't think that recovery mechanic is that bad.
  I did for a second but then I realized it just needs a little clarification. Its basically the same thing as the warblade recovery, since in the round the warblade recovers he can't intiate he's just attacking to get them back. So you just made it a bit harder to actually MAKE them fight with two weapons at some point; instead of just "stike,strike, strike, full attack/recover, strike..."
Though it'd be "cool" if it had it's own awesome mechanic. I remember someone suggesting everytime and enemy fell in combat, they'd refresh. Weird but interesting plus that build had a SS like readied manuever pool.

3. Does spell resistance work in your book? (many people think it doesn't) but maybe it should be one of the stackable blessings?
Spell resistance 15,
G.Spell resistance *adds your charisma mod to your spell resistance,
"Kami's Wrath" once per an encounter as an immediate action counter target spell, its caster must make a will save 10+1/2 character level + stat or be dazed for 1 round.
... you get the idea... I'm just chunking darts though, basically the bad is that list could probbably have a few more things on it.

Iujustu Skill. Sad that the factotum gets it but people samurai builds almost always neglects it.

Other stuff.
This is really a good class the more that I think of it.
Inspirationally speaking, though:
 If you took away the "Sublime way" stuff and maybe used a variant on the "Ki pool" of the ninja. (I say based because it needs too be more like pool per encounter ala factotum)
Add a slightly better smite.
Add Iujustu skill + focus.
Add Some cool sounding "ki powers" "Kami this" "honor of whatever", but basically things we know fighters need to do. (movement abilities, actions and the such...)
Something like Factotum + Good Bab + different primary stat = Samurai
Course thats more a topic for another thread.

Overall I give it:

7.7 of 10

\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 06:58:55 PM »
Bad stuff:
Initially, I'm not sure I completely like it really. Maybe I have a lingering doubt about making "everything"
Tob style.

It's just really easy to use ToB. I do a number of my own unique systems, but for this class I chose to use ToB, as I'm coming up with classes for a specific campaign, and yeah, it was just easy.

Quote from: MidnightV
Still, that small bias aside. . . a few things
1. Based on warblade. Its basically a variant warblade. I get it, and basically I understand why you choose that, I just tend to think either
A: Samurai are closer to crusaders *basically knights
B: Samurai should have thier own 3 school combination ... like Devoted Spirit, Dimond Mind, White Raven?
Though When it comes to samurai... "our samurai" are different" the old trope about trolls seems to apply.
I just totally see Samurai using "Immortal Fortitude Stance"

I could see that, and as I was writing the class I was wondering if I should use Devoted Spirit or Diamond Mind. I'll take it into consideration. If I end up choosing to eliminate Tiger Claw, I will completely rewrite the recovery mechanic, but I will leave the Ancestral Daisho, and the first Two-Weapon Fighting feat.

Quote from: MidnightV
3. Does spell resistance work in your book? (many people think it doesn't) but maybe it should be one of the stackable blessings?
Spell resistance 15,
G.Spell resistance *adds your charisma mod to your spell resistance,
"Kami's Wrath" once per an encounter as an immediate action counter target spell, its caster must make a will save 10+1/2 character level + stat or be dazed for 1 round.
... you get the idea... I'm just chunking darts though, basically the bad is that list could probbably have a few more things on it.

I've gone back and forth with SR. It works in every campaign I've ever played in, but I see the arguments for how, in some campaigns, it could be entirely worthless. It is something to consider, you're right, and that Kami's Wrath feature is pretty nifty.

Iujustu Skill. Sad that the factotum gets it but people samurai builds almost always neglects it.

Here you're absolutely right.

Other stuff.
This is really a good class the more that I think of it.
Inspirationally speaking, though:
 If you took away the "Sublime way" stuff and maybe used a variant on the "Ki pool" of the ninja. (I say based because it needs too be more like pool per encounter ala factotum)
Add a slightly better smite.
Add Iujustu skill + focus.
Add Some cool sounding "ki powers" "Kami this" "honor of whatever", but basically things we know fighters need to do. (movement abilities, actions and the such...)
Something like Factotum + Good Bab + different primary stat = Samurai
Course thats more a topic for another thread.

Indeed, this is all cool stuff, but in the end would be an entirely different approach to a reworked Samurai. Perhaps you could work on it? I'd like to see how your ideas would come together. I'd help out even!

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 07:40:28 PM »
Indeed, this is all cool stuff, but in the end would be an entirely different approach to a reworked Samurai. Perhaps you could work on it? I'd like to see how your ideas would come together. I'd help out even!
and frankly thats one of the best compliments someone you could recieve from someone who's work you respect. Thank you bkdubs123.

I'll get to work on it tommorow morning. (my off day)
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 07:44:13 PM »
Okay, I've decided to go with many suggestions given in this thread by RobbyPants and MidnightV. Two-Weapon Fighting is no longer a requirement of the class, merely encouraged. The recovery mechanic has been entirely rewritten, and to replace the two-weapon fighting feats, I have given improvements to the Duel of Wills mechanic as expressed in Tome of Battle as a new usage of the Intimidate skill. The class' disciplines have been changed to Devoted Spirit, Diamond Mind, and White Raven. I may put Tiger Claw back in there to further encourage two-weapon fighting. If I don't I will be changing Ki Smite to Daisho Smite, which will be a standard action attack with both weapons, no penalties to attack, and with a bonus to the damage of each attack equal to the Samurai's Charisma modifier.

Phew!

@MidnightV: Don't mention it! I have to work tomorrow, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 08:43:31 PM »
Just a note, since the other choices are cherry, no Iron Heart? You'd think that's what they'd be all about.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 09:00:06 PM »
Just a note, since the other choices are cherry, no Iron Heart? You'd think that's what they'd be all about.

The other choices are "cherry?" Iron Heart just seems like a discipline everyone should have. I'm torn about it myself since it's so generic and solid, but I really do think that Devoted Spirit, Diamond Mind, and White Raven captures the spirit of the Samurai completely without Iron Heart being necessary.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 09:15:07 PM »
It is the most generic melee discipline, yes. Cherry means good, sorry, usually only use it around the one friend who taught me it (and thus understands it...)

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 09:19:18 PM »
It is the most generic melee discipline, yes. Cherry means good, sorry, usually only use it around the one friend who taught me it (and thus understands it...)

Ah, I see. I wasn't sure. :D

Iron Heart also happens to be, probably, the most powerful, all-around useful, discipline as well, and as such it is a balance consideration on my part. The combination of Devoted Spirit and Diamond Mind is already quite potent.