Author Topic: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer, part IV, never gonna give you up...  (Read 150879 times)

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
Q206If a creature more than 10' tall falls prone, does this provoke an attack of opportunity from those who were standing adjacent to where the top half landed?  The creature didn't technically 'move', yet its body simultaneously passed through more than one threatened square of its enemies, especially when considering all three dimensions.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Q206If a creature more than 10' tall falls prone, does this provoke an attack of opportunity from those who were standing adjacent to where the top half landed?  The creature didn't technically 'move', yet its body simultaneously passed through more than one threatened square of its enemies, especially when considering all three dimensions.

D&D tends to abstract these things - easiest way is to say it fell prone in its own space, which in turn means it didn't "move" through threatened squares. Large critters, specifically, tend to be divided between tall and wide (or not at all). I assume a tall type MIGHT trigger AoOs, but I can't find relevant rules text on this. Rules Compendium fails me in that regard.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Q207 Other than Warlocks and Dragonfire Adepts, are there any base classes that use spell-like abilities as a major class feature?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
Q207 Other than Warlocks and Dragonfire Adepts, are there any base classes that use spell-like abilities as a major class feature?
Do paradyme classes count?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
I don't know what those are, so I'm guessing no. Paragon classes? I so, then not really, since I'm already thinking of using a Primordial Half-ogre.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder

A208:  Factotums cast Wizard/Sorcerer spells as Spell Like Abilities. 

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.

A208:  Factotums cast Wizard/Sorcerer spells as Spell Like Abilities. 

A208. They are unusual in that you prepare them ahead of time, they require somatic, verbal, and material components and cannot contain xp components. And you can apply metamagic to them.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Q209: Does the Beholder PrC from Dragon Magazine consider you a full beholder at the end of it's progression (i.e. Beholder Apotheosis)?  It fuses your eyes into one central one (important!), and changes your type, I know that much.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

SylvanPrincess

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
A205From the SRD:
Attack

Making an attack is a standard action.

but isnt charge a type of attack? couldnt i interpret that to be part of an attack action with a katana, a charge attack action?

psionic lions charge
: "...When you charge, you can make a full attack in the same round. You can manifest this power with an instant thought, quickly enough to gain the benefit of the power as you charge. Manifesting the power is a swift action...."

Locnil

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Is there an erudite handbook anywhere, or basically anything that would help someone build an erudite properly?

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
A205From the SRD:
Attack

Making an attack is a standard action.

but isnt charge a type of attack
? couldnt i interpret that to be part of an attack action with a katana, a charge attack action?

psionic lions charge
: "...When you charge, you can make a full attack in the same round. You can manifest this power with an instant thought, quickly enough to gain the benefit of the power as you charge. Manifesting the power is a swift action...."
No, it's a type of move action that includes an attack:

Again from the SRD:
[spoiler]Charge

Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

SylvanPrincess

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Player's Handbook 3.5> page 154> special attacks> table 8-7.

It IS an attack, a special full round attack.  would that mean i could theoretically use psionic lions charge with strike with no thought?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 04:38:06 PM by SylvanPrincess »

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
Q210

Is there anyway for a player character to create a dead-magic zone?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Q210

A210 : Well, if you're allowing Mongoose, yes.  Quintessential Wizard's Arcane Avatar can shut off the flow of magic with their capstone ability.  Sadly, it also utterly fucks them, and IHS can dispose of it.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer, part IV, never gonna give you up
« Reply #774 on: September 19, 2009, 05:22:06 PM »
Q210

genesis?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
Q210

A210
This is as close as it gets to official (MoF p9f):

While no temporary repair of a dead magic area is known, a wish or miracle spell permanently repairs the Weave within 30 feet of its point of origin (which must be outside the dead magic area, of course). A character with the Tenacious Magic feat must first make a caster level check (DC 14) to repair a wild magic area, whether temporarily or permanently. Multiple spells must be used to repair larger areas. Theoretically, wish and miracle spells could be used to create a dead magic area, but none have come forward with evidence that this is so.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer, part IV, never gonna give you up
« Reply #776 on: September 19, 2009, 11:49:29 PM »
I don't know what those are, so I'm guessing no. Paragon classes? I so, then not really, since I'm already thinking of using a Primordial Half-ogre.
Just curious, any particular reason you need to be large?  A half-giant (XPH) or Eneko (Secrets of Sarlona) would get you the giant type, and powerful build, all for a mere +1 LA and no racial HD.

Q 211: Just making sure, but a Rogue who successfully sneak attacks a troll with a +1 flaming arrow only does 1d6 fire damage, right?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:02:09 AM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
A210 Epic spellcasting  :P

Q212Paladin gains a domain. Are the spells added to his list? He gets the domain power obviously but he doesn't have domain slots...

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Player's Handbook 3.5> page 154> special attacks> table 8-7.

It IS an attack, a special full round attack.  would that mean i could theoretically use psionic lions charge with strike with no thought?

Manifesting Psionic Lion's Charge is a swift action, which is NOT an attack with a katana, and thus you are explicitly forbidden from taking it. It's got nothing to do with what kind of action a charge is.

EDIT: And consider the classes question irrelevant, you're right about taking Half-Giant. I was just focused on trying do something weird with a Half-Ogre, but it didn't really work. Ended up creating a Fochlucan Warlock, which as you can imagine, is a bitch to qualify for and not optimized at all.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:19:21 PM by Bauglir »

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
Q212Paladin gains a domain. Are the spells added to his list? He gets the domain power obviously but he doesn't have domain slots...

A212
Here's the quote again in all its hideous beauty:

If a noncleric enters a prestige class that allows access to a domain, the character still gains access to the domain. She can use the granted power bestowed by the domain normally.

If she is a spellcaster who keeps a spellbook as a wizard does, then she must find or purchase a scroll of that spell and pay the usual price to scribe the spell into her spellbook. In cases where the spell is only divine the wizard may scribe a divine scroll into his book. The wizard then may memorize one domain spell of each level each day.

If the noncleric is a spontaneous caster like a sorcerer or favored soul, then she may select a domain spell to add to her spells known whenever she would have an option to choose a new known spell. A sorcerer does not get to exceed his normal limit of spells known. Once the domain spell is known, the sorcerer may cast it freely.

Unless the prestige class specifies otherwise, such spells are considered arcane spells when cast by arcane spellcasters.