Author Topic: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer, part IV, never gonna give you up...  (Read 150630 times)

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
A61: Champions of Valor web enhancement
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Q62: Most size changing effects in the PHB state that they don't stack. Do they overlap then? And how? If a human wizard casts reduce person and then enlarge person, is he medium size again? Large size?
This space intentionally left blank.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
Q62: Most size changing effects in the PHB state that they don't stack. Do they overlap then? And how? If a human wizard casts reduce person and then enlarge person, is he medium size again? Large size?

I think either reduce or enlarge person specifically states that reduce dispels enlarge, and vice-versa. I think what the PHB is intimating is that if you can't enlarge person on some one with Righteous Might (makes someone large) they don't become huge, and they use the best enhancements from both spells. If you had two spells that change the size of someone in opposite directions the effects, not the spells, cancel out.   

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Q60

Scry and Teleport make up one of D&D most infamous combinations. Scry works anywhere, even across planes, Teleport has a range of hundreds of miles. However neither of their descriptions say they bypass the need for line of effect (although that's how everyone uses them). Is there some bit of text somewhere that Conjuration (Teleportation) and Divination spells are not subject to line of effect?
A60:
Teleportation is a ranger:personal, and touch spell, so LoE isn't brought up there.
Dimension door explicitly says "any spot within range"

I think the specific text on scrying also overrides normal LoE calculations - in effect, lead sheeting is basically the only nonmagical thing that's taken into account.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
Thanks to the Mad Linguist.

Q63

I recall hearing about a Ranger variant presented in the Dragon Magazine. It had much improved casting, including 5th level spells I believe. Does anyone recall which issue of Dragon this is from?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Thanks to the Mad Linguist.

Q63

I recall hearing about a Ranger variant presented in the Dragon Magazine. It had much improved casting, including 5th level spells I believe. Does anyone recall which issue of Dragon this is from?
Mystic Ranger; issue 336.  also gets 0-level spells as well (progression: 5  5  5  4  4  4).  lose all Favored Enemies and Combat Styles.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Q64: Bear with me for a hypothetical question.

Would lining a Full Plate with one inch of lead cost more or less than:

A) a 1/day item of Mindblank
B) a use-activated item of Mindblank
or C) a continuous item of Mindblank?

Assume DM fiat is out of the question since I'm the DM anyway.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
A:64

The lead is definitely cheaper than all of those options but it would be insanely heavy.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email

The lead is definitely cheaper than all of those options but it would be insanely heavy.
Might I recomend a helmet lined with lead, a'la Magneto
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George

Might I recomend a helmet lined with lead, a'la Magneto

Note that lead doesn't actually block mind-affecting spells, unless you've ruled it that way.

Levithix

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Q65

Are there any good items for boosting saves (preferably will but all would help) that give either an unnamed bonus or a bonus other then the obvious resistance bonus?

Runestar

• King Kong
Q65

Are there any good items for boosting saves (preferably will but all would help) that give either an unnamed bonus or a bonus other then the obvious resistance bonus?

Try here.
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1012246
Mic has quite a few items.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Jvirtue55

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Q66

The healing belt out of Magic item comp is that usable only on yourself or also usable on others?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Q66

The healing belt out of Magic item comp is that usable only on yourself or also usable on others?
A 66

You can use it on anyone.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
Q67:Anyone mind giving me a suggestion on a lycanthrope(ignoring racial HD)?

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
A67: that depends on what you want... if you want an airborne ranger, falcon, if you want a barbarian, rhino... it depends on what you're making
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
A 67

As Vinom said, it depends on what you want to do. There's an animal for everything. If you're ignoring racial HD, T-Rex gets style points, but you'd need a way to be Large in order to be one.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
barbarian
^This please

The base creature is going to be large, so no worries 'bout that

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
In that case, Rhino is a good choice, as is a Triceratops. T-Rex, as noted above, is stylish but not incredibly synergistic past the huge Str bonus (and Triceratops actually gets a higher Str). Overall, I'd go triceratops and find some way to make your Gore attack a +1 Valorous weapon. The works.

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
A 67

As Vinom said, it depends on what you want to do. There's an animal for everything. If you're ignoring racial HD, T-Rex gets style points, but you'd need a way to be Large in order to be one.

Would using a Dungeonbred T-Rex as the base animal solve the size problem?