Author Topic: in the land of Oz  (Read 5299 times)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: in the land of Oz
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 06:58:25 AM »
I like the idea of a tv tropes Oz world... but I'm still not really feeling the d20 modern thing, though that may stem from my unfamiliarity with the system.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 08:42:26 AM »
I like the idea of a tv tropes Oz world... but I'm still not really feeling the d20 modern thing, though that may stem from my unfamiliarity with the system.

It's an incredibly easy system for someone to adopt quickly if they are proficient in 3.5 and primarily uses a lot of the alternate mechanics from Unearthed Arcane (so nothing is to radically new).

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2009, 02:45:19 PM »

It's an incredibly easy system for someone to adopt quickly if they are proficient in 3.5 and primarily uses a lot of the alternate mechanics from Unearthed Arcane (so nothing is to radically new).
So, personallized spell appearence, spellcraft checks to read someone else's spellbook?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2009, 06:23:50 PM »

So, personallized spell appearence, spellcraft checks to read someone else's spellbook?

No so much that but the two biggest that stand out in my mind are the Armor as Damage Reduction, Class Provided Defensive Bonus and the Vitality/Wound Point System. If you've ever played Star Wars d20 it's exactly the same mechanics.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2009, 09:02:43 PM »
So does that mean we won't have any of the 3.5 stuff to play with?
---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2009, 09:25:09 PM »
So does that mean we won't have any of the 3.5 stuff to play with?

Most likely you, as the players, would be using the classes and mechanics from d20 Modern while I'd be pulling from 3.5 for the creatures and other effects.

If you guys don't want to play d20 Modern that's fine, it's just an idea...

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 05:19:25 AM »
I would rather use 3.5, but I'm open to using some of the unearthed arcana stuff. I like that armor as DR stuff, but it only works in a world where we're not optimizing lancers and shock troopers. The vitality/wound stuff looks interesting, but it does make a PC more frail and wary of combat. Once again, as long as you're not tossing around power attacking crit masters, it's ok. I like how fortification suddenly becomes important though.

---

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 05:51:34 PM »
---

NecroticBanana

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 04:59:38 PM »
i tried doing an Oz setting...it turned out to be too much like Eberron :-/
You magnificent Bastard

Jesus saves...Allah protects...and Cthulhu thinks you'd make a great sandwich

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

No man should outlive his fictitious wizard -Homer Simpson

Any legal defense starting by: ''I was drunk'' is bound to fail.-Alastar

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 01:14:11 AM »
I would rather use 3.5, but I'm open to using some of the unearthed arcana stuff. I like that armor as DR stuff, but it only works in a world where we're not optimizing lancers and shock troopers. The vitality/wound stuff looks interesting, but it does make a PC more frail and wary of combat. Once again, as long as you're not tossing around power attacking crit masters, it's ok. I like how fortification suddenly becomes important though.
I think i'll play a flying monkey sorcerer.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2009, 04:39:12 AM »
Although a flying monkey warlock or DFA seems more appropriate. Ye gods, a flying firebreathing monkey...
---

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2009, 05:11:04 AM »
Although a flying monkey warlock or DFA seems more appropriate. Ye gods, a flying firebreathing monkey...
I don't know, summon winged Mephet again and again and again....