Author Topic: Testing the Waters - who here likes Star Wars Saga Edition?  (Read 4848 times)

Balthanon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Lands Beyond Reality...
    • Email
Re: Testing the Waters - who here likes Star Wars Saga Edition?
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 02:28:07 PM »
One of the things that you might be missing about saga is that multi-classing is encouraged to the max.  There are no inherent penalties for doing so and getting some nice synergy between classes to make your character really shine at what you want them to do is very nice.

Unfortunately it seems that some of the problems you are having (stats, no Jedi, etc) are more a function of the campaign/GM than the system itself.  I do encourage you to try the rules set without those restrictions placed upon it (if possible).   I think you'll really enjoy it. :)

Multiclassing is definitely something that I don't have issues with using.  There just aren't enough options that are appealing to me at the moment (and open).  You do still have the same inherent limitation with that which occurs in D&D as well-- if you do it too much with classes that don't have full BAB yours is going to be pitifully low.  Of course, up to this point, combat has been fairly rare anyway (on a non-starship scale anyway.)  Skill use has been much more relevant.

Part of it is the restrictions inherent in the campaign, but part of it is that I've been spoiled by 3rd edition as well.  I started playing after most of the class books came out (Defenders of the Faith, Sword and Fist, etc...), so I had a significant number of options from the beginning of play.  Whenever I switch over to another system that only has a book or two, it tends to feel a bit limiting.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 10:46:22 PM »
Condition track is potentially abusable, yes.

But to answer RadicalTaoist, I do. A lot.

oldrobotsneverrust

• Monkey bussiness
    • The Paper Colony
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 01:21:10 AM »
I originally loved SWSE until a series of wonky events ruined my first campaign for me.
My character was a straight up shady gambler and self proclaimed "greatest swordsman in all the galaxies!"
But when it came down to fighting against any sith/jedi, my character was downed in the first two rounds.
Force powers are too broken-- why can a first level sith use force lightning?
But I am bias because of abused skill focus and a few player's who were extremely cagey with their rolls (and ended up with multiple 18's at character creation). Especially when the one's character ruined the campaign, agreed to make a new one, who was a disgustingly anachronistic ghetto smack talking sith lord (?!), and subsequently ruined the same campaign again.
I want to see more books. Especially options for non-jedi characters. We get skimped.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 07:58:41 AM »
I originally loved SWSE until a series of wonky events ruined my first campaign for me.
My character was a straight up shady gambler and self proclaimed "greatest swordsman in all the galaxies!"
But when it came down to fighting against any sith/jedi, my character was downed in the first two rounds.
Force powers are too broken-- why can a first level sith use force lightning?
But I am bias because of abused skill focus and a few player's who were extremely cagey with their rolls (and ended up with multiple 18's at character creation). Especially when the one's character ruined the campaign, agreed to make a new one, who was a disgustingly anachronistic ghetto smack talking sith lord (?!), and subsequently ruined the same campaign again.
So you dislike the system for what is completely the fault of the group/GM?
I want to see more books. Especially options for non-jedi characters. We get skimped.
I have yet to make a Jedi character and haven't felt "skimped".  If you don't have SotG, get it!  It makes playing a Scoundrel (pilot or techie) so much more worthwhile!
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist