Author Topic: Jacemachine's Futile Crescent  (Read 2375 times)

jacemachine

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Powered by Coffee. Driven by Insanity--
    • MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
Jacemachine's Futile Crescent
« on: July 18, 2009, 02:06:41 PM »
This thread lived and thrived over at Gleemax.
I'm heavily editing it, focusing mostly on my group's gameplay, rather than all the stuff that went into creating it too--

Captain Jack TimberJesus AlvarezBrady Lennox Lars StevensonMy players made it to the Futile Crescent World. I left my players' characters standing on a ridge surveying their present location, and wondering how they managed to get there...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 02:08:51 PM by jacemachine »
Current PbP Games
The Artifact (Prologue) as GM
[d20M] Isle Noir: Bad Karma as GM

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead, playing as Father Ezekiel Ambrose

"When the GM smiles, it's already too late." --Anonymous Doomed Gamer

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
Re: Jacemachine's Futile Crescent
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 02:09:38 PM »
My players are hooked.

The last session before last, they woke up in this Badlands World. I left them hanging ten minutes into their new surroundings until this week.

Last night they began to go about trying to figure out how the hell they got there, and where "there" was.

They'd had some good ideas. Their GPS unit and Sat phone gave them nothing but a "No Signal" response. One of the Smart characters was trying to determine where they could be in the world based upon the flora surrounding them. Typical low thorny brush typical throughout the American West and Through parts of Mexico.

They found the Dead Man on his Horse and went through his belongings-- surprised that everything was either handmade/handstitched or "old" as in the case of the dead man's firearms.

They waited till night to use their navigation skill, to determine where they were at based upon the stars... and they were really disconcerted to discover that they did not recognize the constellations or any othe the stars for that matter.

They pretty much know that they aren't in Kansas anymore.

We got together around 11:30 last night-- didn't start gaming until around 12. They set the limit until about 3:30, but when the time came, no one really wanted to call the session at that point-- despite how tired we all were.
Current PbP Games

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 02:10:53 PM »
My players arrived at the mouth of the Bandits Cave last night. They decided to call the night right there, as two of them needed to be up this morning for work.

I've been using low percentages for random encounters. The world they're in is fairly dead and dying, so the animal life is on a decline.

They've been appropriately focused on the survival aspect of the game. Trying to conserve their water, trying to find game. Keep the horse alive and happy. They've been eating small foxes, rattle snakes, and an armadillo.

They haven't done any recon into the cave yet, so they don't have a week of time to think about their actions. That's fine, anyway. It buys me a week to decide what sort of booty has been collected inside and in what quantities.
Current PbP Games

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 02:12:35 PM »
I come bearing tidings.

The PC's who were standing outside of the cave "when last we left them" sent in their sneakiest and stealthiest. Lars. He made his move silently check, but rolled poorly for his spot... He missed the dust covered carpets with sticks underneath, and he snapped one nice and loud.

Marisole and her brothers hid and awaited to spring upon the intruding PC's. Marisole, in the middle of a bath, was in her birthday suit.

The resulting next few moments went by in a flash. Capt Jack tried to negotiate in Spanish. Lars, who's second language is German, "had no idea" and opened fire towards her two brothers, blowing his last two action points with each shot. The first fell, failing an MDS. Marisole opened fire on Jack catching him in the leg.

Jesus, who is still suffering a -4 on his firearm attacks due to his lack of choosing Personal Firearms Proficiency. His shot hit. She failed her MDS. Fell into the water face first. She drowned before she bled out.

Jesus' first kill: a hot naked chick.

They rescued the hostage girl and are staying the night in the cave.

Hooray for Jesus! He's currently role-playing out his characters mixed emotions about the whole situation.
Current PbP Games

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 02:16:22 PM »
We were able to meet last night. Played from 12 midnight until about 4:30AM today. The players are STILL IN THE BANDITS CAVE. Though now it's theirs, in a fairness. Jesus Alvarez angered his companions by refusing to study the codex one night. Then he deliberately wasted more time to hold off his big reveal even another day.

They hoped that the Bermuda Codex, once translated by Jesus, using his grandfather's journal and notes, would tell them how to use it, so they can get home... It didn't. It only hinted at a greater purpose.

"So basically, your telling us that this thing is the Key to Hell itself? I say we shoot the damn thing and destroy it." - Lars Stevenson (SMT1/FST2)
Current PbP Games

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 02:16:34 PM »
We couldn't get together this week again. The guy who plays Jesus Alvarez keeps screwing with our ability to meet up. And he never returns calls until the day of a hopeful gaming day... then he doesn't even call me back. He calls another player...

*sigh*

I'm about to put his character into an unexplained and unatural coma, brought about by the artifact. The other players will be able to play, but will literally have to make up for the slack of a sleeping Jesus. But at least I a have a reason for the coma: I will hand the player a page that has a dream sequence he experienced that will give more clues... so there. I just may have to do this.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 01:04:39 AM by jacemachine »
Current PbP Games

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 02:26:24 PM »
The PCs traveled to a small town called Echo, where a Seven Samurai situation has occurred. Bandits attack the village, and so the villagers have hired a group of Mercenaries called the Gamble Boys. These men protect the town, yes... but they have taken it over as their own now. The Mayor and the Sheriff have both gone missing.

The PCs, being righteous sorts have decided that they would like to try to rig the large hotel "The Stone Toad Saloon" with TNT and blow the Gamble Boys to hell... the thing is, they can't seem to get them to all be there ate the same time.

Elsewhere in the town, the gravedigger fell into a sinkhole that opened up under him while he'd been digging a grave.

The PC's climbed into the hole to save the gravedigger's life, and then went about exploring the first level of the temple dungeon. They correctly made the "Jim Jones Connection"-- They've been interpreting the skeletal remains in the beds, and examining the mosaic murals on the walls, and images on the tapestries.

Current PbP Games

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 02:31:05 PM »
The players have completely explored the first floor, and will most likely be heading into the depths of the temple at the start of the next session.
As of yet... they haven't encountered anything... hostile or otherwise, in this place. That's about to change.

Okay, so we have this group of Magnificent Seven-like mercenary gunmen who've taken over the town of Echo. CERTAINLY they would be curious as to what these new-comers want, and after word gets to them that they've gone down into a new shaft that leads into some kind of crazy temple thing... they'll certainly want to react.

My thoughts on this is that their leader Gamble sends a small group, maybe 5 in total (One of these men is written to die down there, a planned victim of the Soot Wraiths.)--

So the PC's will have to decide how to contend with an aggressive group of dirty gunmen looking for them, as well as the Soot Wraiths. By the time they get to the Temple Collector or even The Final Rest chamber... the Gamble Boys will have been dispatched. (Both Gamble & Dos are left out of this on purpose, so they make appearances later.)
Current PbP Games

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 02:31:39 PM »
Looking at the stats of the Gamble Boys that will be heading down into the Darkness Below Echo after the PC's, I'm thinking that I should probably kill off Briggs as an example of Soot Wraith nastiness. Especially since he's the toughest. I'll be nice to my players this once.

The others will split up foolishly, and look for the PC's (and TREASURE!!!!)-- where the PC's will be able to manage their executions fairly easily.

Besides, why bother setting up the Gamble Boys In-Story if the PC's won't even get a chance to tussle with them? I mean, once Echo's been imploded, and there is nothing left of it or the Evil Temple below but a crater... They won't get that chance. And I KNOW they would love to. Especially the PC named Lars. He's bloodthirsty.
Current PbP Games

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 02:38:25 PM »
I got a call yesterday morning, saying that we were "on" for last night after we got off work.

The session kicked off with the recapping of the events leading up to the current moment. The PC's noticed the Gamble Boys' footprints in the dust leading down the stairs, then moved cautiously from here on in. Once they hit the second floor down, they found it strangely lacking in any sort of dust. This presented a problem as well, as the footprints were no longer able to be followed... not on the stone floor at any rate.

I recreated various rooms using the varied shapes from D&D Dungeon Tiles and D&D Dungeon Tiles II: Arcane Corridors. This ended up being an incredible boon to the nights session, and the Soot Wraith combat went particularly well. As PC's explored deeper into these rooms, I would lay down more pieces to expand the rooms, to represent areas being revealed by torch-light as the PC's explored deeper.

My d20 Modern Custom Minis worked out excellently.

The rope bridge is where the PC's ended up after slowly making their way through the Pillared Hall, and finding the dead Briggs laying on his back in an offshoot corridor.

We wrapped up around 11:30PM last night with the PC's having decided to use the .50 caliber "key" to open up the door across the rope bridge.

Good times.
Current PbP Games

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 02:40:39 PM »
They stood there facing the intricately carved wooden door. They could see the fallen god's face, bisected at the center of the double doors, wicked teeth smiling, or grimacing.

"What's behind door number one?" Lars said into the darkness.
"My money's on it being a goat." Brady replied in a dry tone.

Captain Jack peered into the darkness behind them. The rickety rope bridge disappeared just outside of the group's circle of light. No movement. No sound. But then again, those... creatures could be on you in a moment's notice and you wouldn't even know it. "Lars, take a looksie at the door's lock, would you please? Jesus, help me watch our rear."
"On it, Cap'." Jesus agreed.

The sounds of Lars and Brady screwing around with the lock mechanism seemed almost like gunshots in the complete silence of the tomb. Still no signs of trouble from the back of the chamber.

"Two things, Captain." Lars said dusting his gloved hands off upon each other, "The lock had been recently screwed with before we got here. Second, we jimmy'd it open."

"Your welcome." Brady interjected towards Lars, who gave him an indifferent shrug, but with a sarcastic smile."

They turned to face the doorway.
"Ready?" Asked Brady. He then attempted to kick the door open. It's impact was momentarily deafening. The heavy door rattled in it's frame, but still it remained closed. The fallen god's expression seemed to mock them.

Seconds later, Brady pulled at a carved wooden handle. The door opened out, towards them.

"Sorry." Brady muttered.

"Careful, Lars." Jack said. Lars nodded his response, then reached into the room with his torch. His head followed, and his initial scan showed no one, or thing waiting just behind the door or in the space near it. He took a cautious step forward, and caught a glimpse of something...

Gold?

His body moved forward, almost robotically, as curiosity overruled caution. The warm glow of the torch revealed...

The plundered riches of a treasure hoard lie before you. A quick scan of the room reveals piles of golden and silver coins spilling over ancient baskets. Statues, urns, weapons, musical instruments, ancient chests, and many objects still buried among the coins and other items. Some sparkle with precious gems or metal, while others appear crafted well, if somewhat mundane. A large stone idol of a bull sits mounted on a heavy wooden pedestal; both bull and pedestal are inlaid with gold. Beautiful and grotesque mosaic murals cover every wall. It depicts a bloody battle, with a high walled city atop a wide mesa in the background.

His eyes picked out a carved bone flute, and a large gold inlaid wooden harp... a flicker of movement from behind the bull idol.

"Brady!" He breathed over his shoulder as loud as he dare, "Movement".
Brady moved into the room behind him. Lars tossed his torch towards the stone bull. It landed just past it, with an audible 'thock' as it hit the flagstone floor.

The torchlight revealed the rear wall of the room. A long wooden rack ran the length, and more treasure spilled from ancient baskets. The large bull idol loomed against this in dark silhouette. The weight of darkness clung to the right and left corners of the room. And no sign of anyone or anything.

Brady handed his torch to Lars and withdrew his maglight.

"You go right, I go left?" Lars suggested. Brady responded with a nod, and the two men moved towards the opposite corners of the room, following the walls as best they could. Heaps of treasure and ancient chests impeaded easy movement.

Lars rounded a corner and an explosive blast thundered through the chamber. For a moment, the room lit up as the flash of a shotgun blast took him from behind. He noted, oddly how he could see his shadow on the wall as it happened. The after image stayed with him, as he flew prone to land on his face. Hard. Then the flame of pain blossomed acrossed his back. It was momentary though, as he passed out he thought, Is this what dying feels like?

Jesus and Capt. Jack had been guarding the entrance to the chamber, staring back into the ropebridge room. Looking cautiously for the shadowy dust and soot creatures.

The sound of the blast seemed like an explosion of thunder, it echoed out of the chamber, and into where the Capt. and Jesus were. The shout of "Lars!" came from Brady. The two men moved as one, their years of familiarity, allowing them to work in silent harmony. They reached the door and peered inside, looking for trouble. None presented itself.
They could see Brady taking cover by the legs of a large golden statue of a man. He motioned towards the oppposite corner of the chamber and there they could see Lars' prone body sprawled over a pile of golden coins. His torch, once Brady's, laying a foot from him.

The two men made their way into the room. Guns drawn, they were looking for any sign of trouble.

A bald, mustachioed man tried to creep by behind treaure piles, behind Lars. But when he realized he was spotted he sprinted the rest of the way to take cover behind the bull idol. An old-style double-barrel shotgun visible in the torchlight.

Jesus immediately rushed forward towards the inert form of Lars. He slid in the last few feet, using Lars as cover. He pointed his gun towards the bull.

"Lars, you still with us compadre?" No answer. He dared not take his eyes off the bull to check for vitals just now. Out of his periphery he saw Jack rush towards the bull idol, and vanish behind it.

Captain Jack was surprised to discover another man completely standing directly in front of him on the other side of the bull idol. Jack had originally intended on shooting the bald bastitch, but his shot now went wild as he managed to dodge a swipe from this new opponent's hatchet. The lead slug caught itself in the man's right foot. He grimaced in pain, and his eyes took on a murderous gleam below the brim of his black derby. He rushed forward despite the pain in his foot, his long black hair flowing out behind him like a widow's veil. He swung his hatchet again at Jack. It's wicked blade slicing the air inches from Jack's chest. Jack fired a second time, and the man took the shot in the chest. Gasping in horror, he clutched at the bleeding socket as the hatchet left his grasp and fell to the treasure covered floor. He followed a moment later with an ignoble thud.

Mustachio jumped around the bull on Jesus' side. He fired a shot and managed to catch Jesus in the rear calf with shot. As he rushed by though Jesus returned fire, and the slug from his grandfather's Colt M1911 sunk into the flesh of the man's leading foot. It immediately collapsed under him, and he fell to his knee. Another shot took him from across the room, as Brady lit up from the muzzle flash of his weapon. Amazingly the shot didn't put him down, and he struggled to get to his feet. Jack, however, was now standing over him. His Glock pressed against the back of the bald man's scalp.

"It's done. Drop it." The captain ordered. The man, defeated, conceeded. His shotgun fell harmlessly to the ground beside him with a clatter.

Jesus checked for Lar's pulse...
Current PbP Games

jacemachine