Author Topic: questions on controlling undead  (Read 1504 times)

NecroticBanana

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
questions on controlling undead
« on: July 17, 2009, 06:50:24 AM »
Ok guys, its been a while since i've had to use these rules so be gentle.

If you have an ability that allowes you to control more than the normal amount of undead, would it stack with another ability that does something similar?

for instance, you have a magic rod (undead mastery i belive) that increases the amount of HD per caster level (lets say double just for argument sake) you can control, would that stack with something else that would double, for a total of x4 HD of undead?

basically i'm trying to min/max my way to the most undead on the playing field as possible.
You magnificent Bastard

Jesus saves...Allah protects...and Cthulhu thinks you'd make a great sandwich

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

No man should outlive his fictitious wizard -Homer Simpson

Any legal defense starting by: ''I was drunk'' is bound to fail.-Alastar

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
Re: questions on controlling undead
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 07:32:59 AM »
I seem to recall some ruling that combining doubles results in a triple, according to the rules.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 10:32:53 AM »
I seem to recall some ruling that combining doubles results in a triple, according to the rules.
Here's a link to the SRD explaining D&D "multiplication".  So, if both items doubled the HD you could control, then yes, they would together tripple the total.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

NecroticBanana

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 05:15:18 PM »
ok, so anything after the original effect basically grants you half its bonus, but what about spells, i do belive there is a spell out there that really boost the hit dice, does that follow this ruling or does it work normally because its a spell?
You magnificent Bastard

Jesus saves...Allah protects...and Cthulhu thinks you'd make a great sandwich

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

No man should outlive his fictitious wizard -Homer Simpson

Any legal defense starting by: ''I was drunk'' is bound to fail.-Alastar

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 05:22:48 PM »
ok, so anything after the original effect basically grants you half its bonus, but what about spells, i do belive there is a spell out there that really boost the hit dice, does that follow this ruling or does it work normally because its a spell?

If it simply added to the HD, it would apply before any doublings (or triplings) unless it specifically says it applies after, since unless otherwise noted you resolve affects in the most beneficial order.

If it doubled the HD, it would simply be another +100%, for a x4 total.