Author Topic: An odd Gestalt 3.5 campaign (still accepting players)  (Read 30372 times)

The Lurker

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: An odd Gestalt 3.5 campaign (still accepting players)
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2009, 09:53:32 PM »
It's the only template I know of that you can apply repeatedly to the same creature.  And it means that you're a mutt.

Please point my out to the part that it says that you can apply it repeatedly to the same creature. It would make sense I guess, at least not if you have 8 pair of wings (or 10 because of Ha-Naga and Chronotyryn) :P

Or I could just grab multiheaded.  That works better.

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2009, 10:03:57 PM »
What LA would I get if I lower Natural Armor to 1, DR to 5, and none of the Special Attacks and Special Abilities ?

The +3 is CR not LA so you wouldn't get an LA even if you didn't lower those things. Excuse me for not clarifying well but I'm under a full-out attack on another thread :P
Never underestimate a halfling!

Sepehr Anvari - Chaos Monk

Velnius Agonista - Halfling Thrower (needs repair)

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2009, 10:05:01 PM »

Agreed. Bear in mind though that the multiheaded template could skyrocket your CR.

The Lurker

« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2009, 10:06:24 PM »

Agreed. Bear in mind though that the multiheaded template could skyrocket your CR.
Noted.  Multiheaded is sexy though.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2009, 11:02:41 PM »
What LA would I get if I lower Natural Armor to 1, DR to 5, and none of the Special Attacks and Special Abilities ?

The +3 is CR not LA so you wouldn't get an LA even if you didn't lower those things. Excuse me for not clarifying well but I'm under a full-out attack on another thread :P

What's the max CR I can get?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2009, 11:10:14 PM »

There is no such thing as a max CR. If your CRs are close then there's no problem even if each of you has CR 80 (though that could lead you to a lot of trouble) :P

Noted.  Multiheaded is sexy though.

Immensely. I love this template. Needless to say, the first time I saw this template with a friend of mine, I immediatedly started having plans for a Great Wyrm with 30 heads :P
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 11:12:56 PM by Nuntius Mortis »

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2009, 11:18:11 PM »

There is no such thing as a max CR. If your CRs are close then there's no problem even if each of you has CR 80 (though that could lead you to a lot of trouble) :P

Hehehe, ok, it sounds like a plan... I think I can make a strong character at LA zero and CR 3... if I have a template that ads to the LA and CR, do I choose one?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2009, 11:32:30 PM »
Hehehe, ok, it sounds like a plan... I think I can make a strong character at LA zero and CR 3...

Of course you do. Actually most characters aren't going to have a very big CR. At least not if they don't get the Multiheaded template (its worth its CR though)  ;)

if I have a template that ads to the LA and CR, do I choose one?

What do you mean? If a template adds both LA and CR, you take both. If it adds only CR you get only CR. If it adds only LA you get only LA.

PS: If you all agree we can make 1 CL=1 CR as well in order to not have big CR differences in the party.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2009, 11:57:08 PM »
PS: If you all agree we can make 1 CL=1 CR as well in order to not have big CR differences in the party.
so then, one CR = one LA

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2009, 12:54:38 AM »
so then, one CR = one LA

For buying out CR via CLs, yes. However, templates that only add CR and don't mention anything about LA gain only CR and no LA.

The Lurker

« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2009, 01:02:18 AM »
I don't know what you're trying to say.  Give an example?

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2009, 01:33:58 AM »

Let's say that after the application of all the templates you end up having CR 12 and 4 CL to spare. As it's already mentioned, you can spend your CL to gain stat boosts or feats. However, you can also spend those CL in order to reduce your CR to 8.

I'm using in order to eliminate big CR differences (usually from the application of a lot of templates).

The Lurker

« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2009, 02:02:46 AM »

Let's say that after the application of all the templates you end up having CR 12 and 4 CL to spare. As it's already mentioned, you can spend your CL to gain stat boosts or feats. However, you can also spend those CL in order to reduce your CR to 8.

I'm using in order to eliminate big CR differences (usually from the application of a lot of templates).
So, since I worked out to be 0 HD 0 LA, should I care?

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2009, 02:04:02 AM »

I'm highly confused...

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2009, 02:17:00 AM »

Because the CLs do not eliminate CR. Yes, you will have 1 HD (all races have 1 HD that trade out for their class level) and 0 LA but you'd still have CR 27 (5 of' em are the class levels).

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2009, 02:20:05 AM »

Because the CLs do not eliminate CR. Yes, you will have 1 HD (all races have 1 HD that trade out for their class level) and 0 LA but you'd still have CR 27 (5 of' em are the class levels).
ECL=HD+LA

HeadofVecna

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2009, 04:36:15 AM »
Feh, generally in character optimization having one's ideas copied is flattering. But this is character generation for a game we're actually going to play. I didn't mind it the first time because the Chronotyryn was just one idea I threw out amongst several. I can also understand glomming Paragon given the unique house rules and interpretation being used. But Fused Aberration and Multiheaded is unique weirdness, the duplication of which would make things feel very samey. In particular, the lernaean option of multiheaded was a key part of what I saw as my character's role in the party, the Tank. So, if possible, I'd like to call dibs.

Also, Lurker, I don't know if the sorcerer levels of the Chronotyryn and Ha-Naga stack for the purposes of buyoff (normally they never would, but all bets are off in this game). If you do glom anyway, or find an alternate way of combining creatures, perhaps a Psionic Elder Brain (Lords of Madness) rather than my ( :whistle) pink snake of doom would be a better choice.

The Lurker

« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2009, 04:48:25 AM »
Feh, generally in character optimization having one's ideas copied is flattering. But this is character generation for a game we're actually going to play. I didn't mind it the first time because the Chronotyryn was just one idea I threw out amongst several. I can also understand glomming Paragon given the unique house rules and interpretation being used. But Fused Aberration and Multiheaded is unique weirdness, the duplication of which would make things feel very samey. In particular, the lernaean option of multiheaded was a key part of what I saw as my character's role in the party, the Tank. So, if possible, I'd like to call dibs.

Also, Lurker, I don't know if the sorcerer levels of the Chronotyryn and Ha-Naga stack for the purposes of buyoff (normally they never would, but all bets are off in this game). If you do glom anyway, or find an alternate way of combining creatures, perhaps a Psionic Elder Brain (Lords of Madness) rather than my ( :whistle) pink snake of doom would be a better choice.
I'm gunna continue to imitate you if you continue to have good ideas.  Sorry, mate.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2009, 04:54:07 AM »
So, Solar Angel with out the Racial HD, SLA, Cleric casting, Change shape, damage reduction 15/epic and evil, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, immunity to acid, cold, and petrification, protective aura, regeneration 15, resistance to electricity 10 and fire 10, spell resistance 32, tongues... whats the LA and CR?

PS, neather of you two will out tank what I'm thinking about doing, soon as I have a good base creature  :evillaugh

The Lurker

« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2009, 05:14:13 AM »
Who needs tanking?  I was just thinking about stunlocking things...