Author Topic: Fridge Logic and You  (Read 17282 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Fridge Logic and You
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2009, 07:03:01 PM »
Given the fact that the soulknife, and similar classes, don't normally qualify for the feats that they are granted as class features, I have to say that the intention of the rules is not to require you to qualify for bonus feats.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2009, 07:12:31 PM »
Even the rogue bonus feats, of much contention?  But I don't want to get into specific examples.  However, the soulknife example brings up a good point, which is fixed bonus feats.  These are obviously meant to be prereq free.  But then the question is should this be the rule or the exception?  I don't really care either way, since it doesn't really matter which way's which, but I do feel that feats that are NOT set, such as Rogue, Fighter, Warblade, Wizard, etc. should not auto-meet prereqs.  Of course, things with very little choice (such as Ranger combat styles and the monk feats) would fall under the same category as Soulknife and company.  The difference in which one's the rule is just that it determines which one doesn't need to have clarifying text stating that they do or do not need to meet prereqs.

Is your stance (and I'm really asking everyone who wishes to weigh in on the matter in a civil fashion) that bonus feats that must be chosen (such as the fighter, rogue, and warblade) free from having to meet the prereqs?  Mine is "no".
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2009, 07:26:36 PM »
They're free from having to meet prerequisites unless specific text in the class description (as is the case with the wizard, fighter, warblade) rules otherwise.
Planetouched Handbook

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2009, 08:06:03 PM »
Since you asked for opinion, I'll throw mine in.

If you're being granted a *specific* feat, then it's simply a matter of the writers forgetting to say "oh, by the way, you ignore the pre-reqs for this feat gifted to you by your class."

If you're granted a non-specific feat - something that could be virtually "any feat"- then it's pretty clear you have to qualify for it.

Once again this is my OPINION, and I'm not looking to pick a side either way, but I think there are some cases where RAI is so incredibly clear that RAW can just suck it, like monks not being proficient with unarmed strikes.  It makes me vomit to even think someone even sort of might suggest "that's RAW and that's how we play it."  That kind of primitive and, entirely semantic and theoretical thinking doesn't apply to anyone's table, sorry.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 10:16:47 PM »
It's not actually that unbalancing, if we assume that categories for feats (such as [epic]) still apply.

I mean, sure you get the odd rogue running around with gape of the serpent and eating people, but he's level ten, and I don't really think there's any seriously unbalancing feat combinations compared to what the spellcasters are throwing around.
Planetouched Handbook

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2009, 11:00:33 PM »
Since we are now talking about opinions and RAI, here's mine:

There are like 3 classes that get a bonus feat they literally cannot qualify for by taking that class to 20. There are another 10 that shouldn't. IE PrCs with feats with pre reqs that meeting is a terrible idea.

It says right in the MM that bonus feats (of all types) don't have to meet pre reqs. Everyone who wrote a non core class can certainly not be blamed for thinking they don't.

Non-Core, classes don't need to meet pre reqs unless they say they do.

Core:
Ranger and Monk explicitly say you don't.
Fighter and Wizard explicitly say you do.

Cleric Domains that give feats are all non Core except War, which is explicitly called out as not needing to meet pre reqs in the MM. You don't have to meet pre reqs for Domain feats.

Rogue feat option was a throwaway. No one ever thought a Rogue would actually take that anyway, and no one thought about Epic feats. There is no possible RAI for Rogue bonus feats because RAI is that only idiots would ever take a bonus feat, because Improved Evasion and Crippling Strike are so awesome.

So lacking an actual intent, and an actual clear ruling, what should we base it on? Does it screw up the game?

No. Maybe if the Rogue took Epic Spellcasting he might be able to use it to screw the game, he might not be able to for some non pre-req reason. If he has Gape of The Serpent? That's just hilarious, and no more powerful (and actually much less) then 1000 damage on a charge. PTWFing? Again, see 1000 damage charges, but more so.

No Rogue would ever have to ask for PTWFing in my game, because I would just tell them, TWFing gives all iterative attacks without wasting feats.

So what should you do when a Rogue reaches level 10 and wants to not meet pre reqs? Ask him what feat he wants. Ask yourself if a rogue having that feat is going to make your Druid and Wizard feel bad. If they won't mind, why do you?

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2009, 11:10:02 PM »
Compared to casters?  No.  But the tags can be argued to be prereqs, not that I subscribe to that philosophy.  But really it's because I think the game will run more smoothly if bonus feats by default need to meet prereqs, with the exceptions being racial and chosen class feats such as the War Domain clerics and Soulknifes.  Which is probably the majority of bonus feats, come to think of it...

Also, I don't use casters as my balance point....

Anyone else got an opinion they have on how they think it should work?

No Rogue would ever have to ask for PTWFing in my game, because I would just tell them, TWFing gives all iterative attacks without wasting feats.

For the record, this is how I do things as well.

So what do you think it should be?  I'm having a hard time coming with an answer.  All I see is "it would not be unbalanced if..." and then a bunch of stuff on rogues.  This isn't just balance and it's not just for the rogue.  I was asking if you thought it would be better (subjectively) for bonus feats to automatically meat prereqs or not, taking balance, mechanical smoothness, and flavor into account.  And any other category you deem important.  Also, see my post after the errata was brought up.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2009, 11:29:43 PM »
Well as I spelled out in the first half of my post. If Bonus feats as default need to meet pre reqs, it screws like 13 classes. If bonus feats as default don't have to meet pre reqs, there is not a single thing anywhere in the game that takes any kind of damage at all.

What I don't understand is why when given a choice between two possible rulings as the default, one would choose for the default to be something that they know they would have to go back and change the text for like 13 classes.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2009, 11:46:50 PM »
I'm not asking what you think is RAW, I'm asking what you think the rules should be.  That would include fixing the wording (and we all know everything needs wording adjustments anyways) if necessary, consider the wordings to be fixed if the way you think the rules should work would require it.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2009, 12:13:51 AM »
Honestly, I think the rules should be that by default you don't have to meet prereqs for bonus feats.  In a sense, taking however many class levels you need to get the feat is a qualification all its own.
Planetouched Handbook

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2009, 12:41:52 AM »
I'm not asking what you think is RAW, I'm asking what you think the rules should be.  That would include fixing the wording (and we all know everything needs wording adjustments anyways) if necessary, consider the wordings to be fixed if the way you think the rules should work would require it.

Right, but I'm saying that if there are W (Some monster feats) X (Other Monster feats) Y (Some classes) and Z (Other classes) that all have bonus feats, and if the default is you don't have to meet pre reqs, and X and Y have exceptions stating you do have to meet the pre reqs.

That's functionally identical to having the default be you do have to meet pre reqs, but W and Z have exceptions saying you don't.

The only thing that changes is when you develop new classes, you have to remember which one you have to add an exception for.

I think in general the game would be better with the default being that bonus feats don't meet pre reqs because when you give someone a bonus feat, and he isn't a fighter or a wizard, you are trying to give him something that is a fundamental part of the character.

All crusaders stand to the bitter end. All Swashbucklers fight with Dex, all Rangers can TWF (or shoot). You wouldn't give someone a bonus feat that they couldn't use, so bonus feats should all be usable all the time.

Fighters and Wizards are somewhat of an exception, because they both are many choices starting from low level from a set of feats with a great many pre reqs.

Rogues on the other hand get up 4, all very late, and all at the cost of things generally designed to be much better than feats. They represent the crazy uniqueness of anyone who might consider themselves a "Rogue" Han Solo is a rogue, he can do shit no one else at all can do, and not just things that most other Rogues can do.

Honestly, I wish they just took away the Rogue bonus feat option and added a whole bunch more special ability choices in later books instead. And diverging more in theme.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2009, 04:12:00 AM »
under the heading of creating new monsters

Just because the rule is explained under creating new monsters doesn't mean it only applies then, especially when we have both explicit and implicit statements pointing to the conclusion that players and monsters are intended to follow the same rules.

Unless you believe that page 301 is not referring to racial bonus feats.  If page 301 (and the surrounding pages) of the MM is not in fact referring to bonus feats given when creating a new monster

This is silly. It could be referring to creating new monsters but not refer to only racial bonus feats. New monsters have other types of feats after all.

And players and monsters (new monsters included) follow the same rules.

I also believe that the intent of racial bonus feats were to be bonus without meeting prereqs, and then all other bonus feats were not meant to be free from prereqs.  Would you agree with that statement, ignoring what the RAW is for a moment?

I would disagree, as then you still run into the Monk and Cleric and Soulknife etc problems of the class granting feats that they don't qualify for. And that makes as much sense as a monster having Weapon Finesse when it doesn't qualify.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2009, 04:30:19 AM »
Firstly, because JaronK is making a false assumption. He assumes that the rules for monsters are different than the rules for players, despite this never being stated and the exact opposite being the implicit trend throughout all of 3.5. All creatures in 3.5 follow the same rules, unless it specifies otherwise. Creatures includes both monsters and players.

Nope, I actually said the rules are the same for both.  For all creatures, Racial bonus feats don't require prerequisites, while class and level feats do (unless otherwise specified, actually).  But I couldn't get past the first obvious parts to get into the details of why that's true.

After that, it comes down to general versus specific. Unless I am simply blind and have missed it entirely, the PHB feat section never states "You must meet the prerequisite of all bonus feats" (or anything analogous that is so definite). It calls out specific ones for which you must, this is true. But that does not matter, as it only applies to that particular case.

Actually, the PHB does indeed say that very thing, which is the point.  Specifically, page 87 says that there are three ways to get bonus feats... from class bonus feats, from level gained feats, and the human bonus feat (remember that racial bonus feats other than humans didn't exist yet, and so weren't a proper catagory at the time of the writing).  Then it says you need prerequisites for all of them.  So yeah, it says it.  The only one where it doesn't say anything except the specific is racial bonus feats.

To be clear, it says "Additionally, members of some classes get bonus feats as class features." and then in the next paragraph "Some feats have prerequisites.  Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat."  See?  Right there, plain as day.  And again, this is the ONLY entry on bonus feats that's not under the catagory of creature entries.

The MM, on the other hand, specifically states that it is acceptable to have a bonus feat without meeting the prereqs.

Only in the specific case of reading monster entries.  The point I was trying to get to was that "Creature" and "Monster" are actually completely interchangable in the rules (see Dominate Monster for an obvious example... what does it work on?  Creatures).  Both of them as they are actually used (and feel free to try to find any counter example, if I'm wrong it should be easy) mean "any living, unliving, or animated thing which is capable of acting on its own in any way, with an implication (but not requirement) that it's an NPC."  This definition is better than the PHB definition (which excludes Animated Objects, but includes Major Images of creatures... obviously both wrong).  This is not to say all Creatures or Monsters are NPCs... Dominate Monster works just fine on PCs, and Goliaths are a PC race that's a Monsterous Humanoid.  It's just an implication.  Meanwhile, a Race is exactly that same thing, but the implication is that it's designed for PC use.  For example, Kobolds are in the Monster Manual as a Creature and a Monster (it's a Monster entry, but Monster entries also talk about being Creatures) and there they're primarily an NPC, with a seperate entry for what to do when you treat them as Player Characters.  However, in Races of the Dragon they're a Race... and in that book, it's talking primarily about how they exist as a PC race.  But again, it's just an implication... at no point in the rules would changing Race, Monster, or Creature into any of the other names change a rule.

All of which leads to the fact that the Monster Manual is talking about Monsters and Creatures, and the bonus feats thereof.  Since Race is effectively the same, just with a different implication about how it will be used, Monster bonus feats and Creature bonus feats are the same as Racial bonus feats.

The specific case of not needing to meet the prereqs for bonus feats overrules the general need of feats. And the specific case of the bonus feats that do require the prereqs overrules the more general bonus feats bypassing of that need.

Nope, because the PHB specifically says that bonus feats from class levels need prerequisites, and the Monster Manual doesn't talk about that.  What it DOES talk about are bonus feats native to the creature itself (because it's talking about Monster entries, so any time you see the rules for a creature, the MM rule applies).  So yes, the specific overrides the general... which means racial bonus feats ignore prerequisites.  Class feats however specifically need prerequisites as per what I quoted above from the PHB which class them out specifically.

In general, most classes state one way or another whether they ignore prerequisites or not.  Monks and Rangers say they ignore them, Fighters and Wizards say you need them, and so on.  A specific few classes omit this line (they really shouldn't).  And of those, some of them really need the line because they're supposed to have the exception.  RAI is clear enough.

Just because the rule is explained under creating new monsters doesn't mean it only applies then, especially when we have both explicit and implicit statements pointing to the conclusion that players and monsters are intended to follow the same rules.

Actually, location of the rule does tell you what it applies to.  That's why you don't in general get a +30 to all bluff checks to convince someone of a lie... because that rule applies under "Glibness."  This is not to say that Monsters and Players follow different rules at all.  Note that even the errata talks specifically about creatures as well.  Can you think of any rule under the wrong heading like this that does apply outside its heading?  Is there any rule under the heading of a single skill that applies to all skills, or a rule under a single spell that applies to all the time?  A single counter example would be enough.

Basically, there is no rule about ignoring prerequisites that is not directly linked to talking about creature/monster bonus feats (and by directly linked, I mean in a section discussing them), which is the same as a racial feat.  So the rule is, combining the Monster Manual and the PHB, that all feats require prerequisites, unless you're looking at an entry for a creature (so, racial bonus feats), in which case bonus feats don't need prerequisites.  This is the only interpretation that actually uses both the PHB and Monster Manual without dropping one entirely, which is clearly the way to go.

I still can't see how anyone could think that the PHB doesn't clearly state that bonus feats need prerequisites.  It talks about bonus feats, then it says you need prerequisites for all feats.  What more is there really to say?

JaronK

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2009, 09:53:33 AM »
To be clear, it says "Additionally, members of some classes get bonus feats as class features." and then in the next paragraph "Some feats have prerequisites.  Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat."

Bolded and underlined for emphasis. There is no clear relation between the two when they're in separate paragraphs and the quote you yourself use specifies that only some feats have prerequisites. It's entirely reasonable to think that bonus feats are not on this list, even if they would be were they not a bonus feat.

Only in the specific case of reading monster entries.

And all rules that apply to monsters apply to characters.

Nope, because the PHB specifically says that bonus feats from class levels need prerequisites,

No it does not. It never makes that statement.

What it DOES talk about are bonus feats native to the creature itself

False. Even if it was limited to monster entries, many monsters have class levels and would still use the same rules for all bonus feats in their monster entry.

I still can't see how anyone could think that the PHB doesn't clearly state that bonus feats need prerequisites.

Because it never makes that statement directly and the two statements you are trying to link to get that end result are in different paragraphs, and separate paragraphs often mean there has been a change in context or topic.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2009, 01:20:25 PM »
Especially when they're under separate headings.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2009, 05:55:25 PM »
To be clear, it says "Additionally, members of some classes get bonus feats as class features." and then in the next paragraph "Some feats have prerequisites.  Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat."

Bolded and underlined for emphasis. There is no clear relation between the two when they're in separate paragraphs and the quote you yourself use specifies that only some feats have prerequisites. It's entirely reasonable to think that bonus feats are not on this list, even if they would be were they not a bonus feat.
Eh? Yes, some feats do not have any prerequisites. Example, Alertness. See page 89 where is tells you how to feat a feat entry.
FEAT NAME [TYPE OF FEAT]
Description of what the feat does or represents in plain language.
Prerequisite: A minimum ability score, another feat or feats, a minimum base attack bonus, a minimum number of ranks in one or more skills, or a class level that a character must have in order to acquire this feat. This entry is absent if a feat has no prerequisite. A feat may have more than one prerequisite.
Your scraping and you know it.

Honestly, I can fully agree JaronK is correct without a shred of wonder if I'm being inherently biasist.

Acquiring Feats explains when a character is given a feat. By level, as a class bonus, and the human bonus feat. Only the human bonus says anything about meeting requirements. Ignoring all other text would mean feats gained by level ignore prerequisites which is oddly a better excuse later on than half reading the next section and making the same claims. At least you could have gone with "I missed it" or something.

Prerequisites explains some feats have prerequisites, which Ejo is happy to stop reading there and interpret as 'Bonus Feats don't" despite there being feats with nothing listed for prerequisites and the feat explanation on the next page covers exactly that. The rest of the paragraph flat out says you must meet all prerequisites to take the feat, and even after you have it failing to meet the prerequisites means you cannot use the feat.

PHB defines the rules on feats and the PHB is also the primary source. Apparently some of you are willing to argue a chapter explaining feats does not become the default source. Which I suppose is akin to what Ejo was trying to do with the first stance of prerequisites. Check the erratas and quit posting already.

Everything ends right there. Thats it.
There is no other text supporting other arguments.

"But the creating monsters section in the MM says monster bonus feats ignore prerequisites, ha I'm right!" Bull freaking S and you know it. That section is meant for a DM to create an entirely new monster. Not just adding HD to an existing monster or giving it class levels. But to literally to create a new monster. Where in the PHB does it say anything about starting with a Terrasqua's carapace? What about the fact the DM can pick any ability score he or she feels like or assign any special quality or SLAs? Page 7 fails as a point too. Page 301 explains what it means by a bonus feat. Which is not class given bonus feat, not a racial bonus feat, but a DM ignoring the rules granted feat.

Go make a thread arguing you can start with 800 str, SR 100, and can cast as a 25th level cleric because you can create a +0 LA monster with those abilities as defined by the creating a monster section. Just keep it in the house rule section where it belongs and stop thinking your monster is official fact. And while your at it, prepare for advice on how to avoid failing as a DM and how to balance your campaign.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2009, 06:44:39 PM »
Check the erratas and quit posting already.
Really, SorO? You may want to reference the errata yourself for the three core books. Only one mentions bonus feats at all and it states that they do not require prerequisites. :D
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2009, 07:22:15 PM »
Check the erratas and quit posting already.
Really, SorO? You may want to reference the errata yourself for the three core books. Only one mentions bonus feats at all and it states that they do not require prerequisites. :D
I went off your post because I'm lazy. Your quotes from th errata say the PHB is the primary source, which is what I was talking about and I took second quote in the same stride as I did page 7. Only the posted quote directly relates to the DM only section making it even worse of the other side of the argument than page 7.

Oddly I compare the selective reading of "bonus feats" the same as "caster level". WotC should have tried to be a little clearer on stuff, like the folks on the MTG side.

Edit - am I missing a page number I should look at?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 07:26:29 PM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2009, 07:41:04 PM »
Oddly I compare the selective reading of "bonus feats" the same as "caster level". WotC should have tried to be a little clearer on stuff, like the folks on the MTG side.

"Folks on the MtG," as I understand it, have between 1-2 years to playtest everything that gets printed and print roughly 3 expansions per year. Designers on the D&D side probably don't have the same luxury of time and print a couple new books per month. Given the greater complexity of a tabletop roleplaying game, I can only imagine that even 1-2 years wouldn't be enough to test everything that goes into a book.

Even a core rules book.

Also, given that (off the top of my head) several million more people play M:tG than D&D ... and WotC has had MtG in its possession for longer (only, what? 10 years longer?) I can only imagine they've had a lot more time to receive feedback, have received more feedback, and managed to get more of "the kinks" out of Magic (though they continue to add more kinks with every new expansion) than they have D&D.

Just sayin'.  :smirk
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2009, 07:45:15 PM »
The PHB is the primary source... "unless an official errata file says otherwise".  Since the errata itself states that "bonus feats don't require the creature to fulfill any feat prerequisites", it's the one that sticks.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 07:46:48 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook