Author Topic: A New Beginning in Ssan Ryss  (Read 10470 times)

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
A New Beginning in Ssan Ryss
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:34:33 PM »
It's early fall, and the leaves have yet to start changing colors in the North, and likely won't change color at all here in the warm country of Vrynn.

As you arrived in Ssan Ryss, the capital, you passed by many farmhands out in the fields beginning their seasonal harvest and enjoying the beautiful weather.  The city itself is surrounded by high stone walls and sits perched on top of a large, rolling hill. Not quite circular in shape, Ssan Ryss was built to lay across the entirety of the hilltop.  Surrounded by farmland and the occasional small village-like gathering of three or four buildings, likely an inn and a couple homes, Ssan Ryss gives off that 'capital city' feeling.

Arriving in Ssan Ryss, you are immediately aware of the bustle of the city, as people of all walks of life traverse the city. Some are working, some are visiting, and even some are merely liesurely strolling around, seemingly unsure what to do in here.  The proportion of Lizardfolk, both big and small, is far greater than in any other city you've visited recently, and likely rivals the number of humans maneuvering through the streets.  The city seems built around a large, palace-like structure, which any local can tell you is home to the Council, the ruling seven members of Ssan Ryss. All seven serve the 'Lizard Queen,' who rules over Vrynn.  Primarily a figure-head, the Lizard Queen is the honorary title for the ruler of Vrynn. In fact, the capital's name, Ssan Ryss, was the name of the first queen of the Lizardfolk who treatied with humans to form the nation.

Regardless of the reason for your arrival, you find yourself eventually searching for room and board, arriving in a local tavern/inn hybrid manned by a gruff six-and-a-half foot tall lizard.  He stands behind the bar, wiping down mugs with what appears to be a dirty rag, occasionally stopping to refill a drink request.  The bar is only half filled as the orange glow of late afternoon/early evening begins to fill the room.

Knowledge (Local, History, or Nobility) DC 13[spoiler]The current Lizard Queen is actually a Human female, named Queen Ress.[/spoiler]
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
Re: A New Beginning in Ssan Ryss
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 02:55:03 AM »
A tall, somewhat thin man wearing a loose grey robe and leaning on a staff more beaten than the oldest of draft horses wonders into the bar. He bows low with a flourish of his hat, it's bold purple color a stark contrast to his dull robes and worn staff, though he is quite careful that his shining, knee length never touches the ground. His only other possessions are a series of pouches hanging from a scarlet sash around his waist and and a small charm around his neck, depicting a lovely woman's face surrounding by what first appears to be flame, but on closer inspection is a flowing mane of vibrant crimson hair.

He takes a seat near the bar, obviously weary after a long trek into town.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »
The lizard-man looks at the flamboyant purple hat, and the man in grey robes is certain that if he had an eyebrow to raise, the bartender would have done so.  After what seems like a good solid minute, the bartender pries his eyes away from the hat and returns to wiping down the mug in his hand.  Glancing back at the man, he asks, What'll yous havess?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:11:35 AM »
Malachi pays no mind to the bartender's reaction, though he is quick to acknowledge him once he speaks.

Good evening, my fine fellow. Malachi stands from the chair, bowing low in the same motion and tipping his hat with a wide sweep, keeping it held in his hand as he rights himself and smiles.

I'm in need of a good meal and a soft bed, or at least something to fill my stomach and a safe place to close my eyes.

Malachi frowns subtly and hangs his head. I am, however, held at a disadvantage at the current time.

You see, I have no funds, having made a substantial donation to a struggling artist before leaving the last city I visited. Alas, I am also out of general supplies or anything else with which to barter.

Grinning as he places the hat back on his head once more, Malachi continues. Other than my extensive services, that is, be they as an entertainer or a mage.

I am Malachi the Sorceror, and it is a pleasure to meet you. A wink and another bow, this time much smaller. Would you have any tasks I could complete for a meal and a bed, or might know of someone who would?

Malachi looks thoughtful for a moment, and toys with the charm around his neck. Or possibly, barring that, as I know vagabond wanderers such as myself can be such a terrible nuisance, is there a temple dedicated to Sune within the city, that I might ask for help from my fellows among her followers?

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 09:56:36 PM »
A young, but bald man was sitting at the bar. There was something odd about him, like he might have some non-human blood in him, but if he wasn't human he was at least too close to human that you couldn't tell what his heritage actually was. He appeared to to be unarmed and unarmored, wearing light robes with a noticable pouch on his side of the kind mages were known to carry.

He was staring at his half-empty glass, lost in thought. At least until his train of thought was broken by the loud voice of the sorcerer. Dimen took another cursory glance around the room. The one he was waiting for was late.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 06:03:25 PM »
The lizardman's expression is almost comical as he stares at Malachi with what would be raised eyebrows, if he had them.  For a split second Malachi sees what may be anger at the thought of a free loader, but then a look of intrigue passes over the bartender when Malachi mentions the word 'entertainer.'

His head drops ever so slightly as he thinks, but his hands continue to wipe down the mug he's holding. Ssune?  Never heardss of her. He looks up, slightly puzzled. Perhaps the gods are not so familiar to him.  Do you ssing or dancess? He asks the humble Malachi, clearly trying to gauge what manner of entertainment he'd bring and whether it'd be worth a room and meal.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 07:31:44 PM »
A man with an ashen complexion enters the common room wearing a crimson cloak and tabard, with a crimson cloth tied across his temples displaying some sort of black eight-pointed star upon his brow.  He takes in the gentleman with the purple hat and the contemplative look on the lizard's face and waits for their exchange to finish before requesting the meal he had paid for before his departure.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 01:38:23 PM »
[spoiler]
so could Dimen. :P

Okay, fine. He'll at least try.

Gather Information (1d20-2=16)

O_O Someone as ugly and unsociable as Dimen might have a lead on a job!? I'm going to act for now that I've heard of some job with that roll, but whether it's a good job or a bad job AC can decide. :D[/spoiler]

Dimen put his glass down and rose from his chair. "Mr. Sorcerer, looking for work? Well I was just about to tell my friend when he got back," he gestured to Tarwin, "about a potential employer I heard about. Would you also be interested?"

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 02:15:03 PM »
The bartender almost seems to grunt at the interruption of Dimen, but then relaxes as he realizes that this 'entertainer' may end up with some coin after all. Well your problemss sseem to be ssolved. Maybess you come backss when you finish jobss.

He then turns toward Tarwin and nods to the request for food.  Stepping away from the three, he places the rag on the counter behind the bar and pokes his head into the kitchen.  A few muffled words are exchanged, and a portly, bar wench emerges from the kitchen carrying a tray of food.  When she glances around the room, the bartender idly points to Tarwin.  After a swift waddle to the table nearest Tarwin, she smiles, revealing a couple missing teeth, and sets the tray down.  She looks almost like is about to speak to him, when they bartender shoots her an ice cold glare and she turns back to the kitchen with a "hmph!" and distinct pouting of the shoulders.

Meanwhile, Dimen catches the slightest glimpse of a small figure slip into the tavern shadows from outside.  As the light fades from his form, a glimmer reflects off the coppery brooch holding a cloak in place, and Dimen realizes this must be the contact he was told to meet.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 05:32:43 PM »
In most of the parts of the civilized world the massive dragon-like figure would actually be an oddity, a sight to look upon. But here, in the reptilian city of Ssan Ryss he dared to say he could blend in, be a part of a larger picture and settle down, even though he knew he was just fooling himself, as his antiphatic nature could not set roots even in the most prosperous of grounds.
Struggling to clear his mind of those thoughts, Dusk sipped some more of his wine and used his walking stick to reposition himself better on his chair. Then he heard those words that made his brown scales shine. "I am Malachi the sorceror" said the tall man to the bartender, while Dusk was struggling to remember that name from his past years. He grinned when he heard the bartender asking the man about his talents. There's my opening, Dusk told to himself. Maybe i can join him with an instrument, he thought, slowly turning his torso to the tall man.
Suddenly another man interrupted, slightly annoying Dusk. He slowly begun to turn his body to the bar again, when the idea struck him. Employer, huh? Looks like i won't have to employ any music after all.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 10:27:21 PM »
"And that must be him. Give me a moment." the nearly human man with the physique of a body builder says and casually approaches the table where the small cloaked figure has just sat down. He pulls out the chair across from the mysterious stranger and sits down.

"If I am correct, then you would be Mr. Telk't. I am called Dimen and I would like to hear more" he says. "But first, would you mind if my associates join us?"

As he's speaking, he takes a closer look at the figure. He looks for any hint of of nervousness and awaits a response, listening carefully for any hint of falsehood.
[spoiler]Spot (1d20+3=7), Sense Motive (1d20+3=17)[/spoiler]

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 01:05:31 AM »
Malachi pauses a moment to consider his odds with song and dance, and briefly allows himself to recall a song close to his heart before letting the words of the others filter back in.

Hmm? Oh yes, I would be interested indeed to find someone willing to support my stay in this lovely city.

As Dimen approaches the employer, Malachi glances around the room once more, taking note of Dusk with a soft smirk and noticeably grinning as he takes in Tarwin's wardrobe. He picks up his staff and approaches him, curiously inspecting the sash on his forehead. He leans on his staff slightly once he nears and tips his hat once more.

Greetings, stranger. I am Malachi the Sorceror, and I must admire your choice in garments. But I am unfamiliar with the symbol you wear. Would you be so kind as to enlighten me on it's origin?

[spoiler]
Knowledge Arcana, Religion, Planes in order
Bluff to pass off not knowing if he actually does[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 02:12:15 PM »
The scaled, reptilian face looks up towards Dimen as he pulls up a chair.  Dimen immediately notices a scar across his contact's face.  From above the eyebrow to middle of his lip, the scar runs across where his left eye once was.  Immediately, Dimen gets a sense of determination from this man, and also one of satisfaction at the same time. The little maroon-colored kobold in dark, forest green clothing listens and nods as Dimen introduces himself. Yes, I am Telk't.  He glances over at Malachi in his grand hat and Dimen notices a crack in his contact's face as he almost seems to smile.  Of course, gather your group.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 05:32:33 PM »
Dimen turns to Tarwin on the other side of the room and motions for him to come.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 07:32:25 PM »
"I am a servant of Kord," Tarwin answers before turning to meet with his shipmate's contact.  Before he turned away you could see the uneven spokes of the star's arms radiating from the center.

[spoiler] [/spoiler]
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 10:03:40 PM »
Now that everyone was here, Dimen said, "So let's hear the details."

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 01:36:38 PM »
Telk't absentmindedly rubs at the end of the scar near his lip while he waits for the others to arrive.  Only the two of you? He asks, but after a brief pause, continues.  I am Telk't, one of the Border-Guards of Vrynn.  One of the duties we have been assigned by our Lizard Queen is patrolling the areas outside of towns and farms.  In one of my recent expeditions, I discovered a most violent crime scene. I would employ you to aid me in the destruction of the bestial criminal.  However, news of this event should not be widespread, as to avoid hysteria and a marshaling of forces that is unnecessary, so I need you to agree to aid me before I can give you exact details.  I would pay 15 platinum per head, plus reasonable expenses.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 03:15:21 PM »
"Well, there may be three of us if the sorcerer is coming along. You said 'per head'. so I assume there's more than one?" Dimen asked.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »
He shakes his head slowly, I mean 15 platinum per associate you bring, within reason.  Although if there are indeed complications, I will pay for the additional trouble.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 10:47:57 PM »
"It sounds like the work of someone evil at heart.  It would be good to stop him or turn him away from the darkness of his heart.  I accept your offer."