Author Topic: Character Discussion  (Read 19949 times)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
Character Discussion
« on: July 12, 2009, 02:10:25 PM »
All discussion for character development and OOC chatter should go here. :)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Character Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 02:35:04 PM »
Someone (Generic_PC?) was going with an Elf Predator Druid....
Dropped out, IIRC.
Controller is generally regarded as the most comparatively expendable role, though, and many classes can do some light control on the side (with pulls, pushes, and slides) as well. A Pursuing Avenger, for example, can take an enemy out of the fight for some alone time - and punish him if he wants back in.
Yeah, Generic dropped out due to personal time constraints.

PI also said he "didn't need to join" though we'd all love to have him play that Psion. :D

Heh, everyone's going for the damage. :P

I wouldn't say I'm going for damage over everything else. White Lotus Riposte is, in a way, more defensive, as it discourages enemies from attacking.

Most of my powers lend themselves toward Buffing my allies, healing them, and control. However, I'd be dumb not to try and get at least a little damage in on the enemies as well. :)

On that note, should I stick with Bastard Sword as my implement, or switch it to a glaive or other reach weapon (though I think glaive is the only heavy blade polearm w/ reach)? I'd lose a point of prof bonus and a slight step down in damage. Or maybe Fullblade or Double Sword for more damage/defense, respectively.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 02:37:49 PM by VennDygrem »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 02:43:26 PM »
Someone (Generic_PC?) was going with an Elf Predator Druid....
Dropped out, IIRC.
Controller is generally regarded as the most comparatively expendable role, though, and many classes can do some light control on the side (with pulls, pushes, and slides) as well. A Pursuing Avenger, for example, can take an enemy out of the fight for some alone time - and punish him if he wants back in.
Yeah, Generic dropped out due to personal time constraints.

PI also said he "didn't need to join" though we'd all love to have him play that Psion. :D

Heh, everyone's going for the damage. :P

I wouldn't say I'm going for damage over everything else. White Lotus Riposte is, in a way, more defensive, as it discourages enemies from attacking.

Most of my powers lend themselves toward Buffing my allies, healing them, and control. However, I'd be dumb not to try and get at least a little damage in on the enemies as well. :)

On that note, should I stick with Bastard Sword as my implement, or switch it to a glaive or other reach weapon (though I think glaive is the only heavy blade polearm w/ reach)? I'd lose a point of prof bonus and a slight step down in damage. Or maybe Fullblade or Double Sword for more damage/defense, respectively.
Are you still going with that Artificer?

If so, the Drow Long Knife might be useful, seeing as it's both a Heavy Blade and a Thrown weapon, and plenty of Artificer powers are (or have the option to be) Ranged - Weapon powers. With that feat that lets you use another class's implements (Swordmage -> Heavy Blade) you won't have to swap around and can use it to attack with basically all your powers.

Only 1d6 damage, but it has a +3 Proficiency bonus, so it's pretty decent with the versatility it offers.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 02:49:01 PM »
Well, as you can tell, I'm already using the Bastard Sword as my implement, but I could be persuaded to switch to the long knife. The thrown property is useful in giving me ranged options on most of my Melee-or-Ranged attacks, which comprise one of my at-wills and all my encounter attacks. However, it's a significant hit to damage, which I must consider.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 03:03:47 PM »
'Significant' being 2 points on average? I'd say it's worth it, with the improved versatility and all that, especially since you're not (supposed to be) a Striker.

Besides, do you really want to be in close-combat with only Leather armor and not that great HP/surges? ;)

That's just my opinion ofcourse, YMMV :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 03:08:42 PM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 03:13:37 PM »
97 HP and 11 surges isn't too great? Look who's talking.  :P
Remember, Con is a secondary stat for me. :)

Anyway, Sounds like the Drow Long Knife it is, despite not being nearly as cool and being made for emo-whiny-elves. :D

-------------------
btw Rufei, as per the player roster thread, the artificer can be played melee or ranged, and I'll likely be in melee quite often in order to provide buffs to adjacent allies, which of course is why I wondered if the glaive would be better. However, I can still throw the long knife from behind our glorious meat shields.  :P
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 03:16:08 PM by VennDygrem »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 03:16:09 PM »
Heh, forgot about your secondary in Con, nevermind that part :P

And Drow can be awesome ;)
There's only 1 pest that compromises their badassness :fu

Also, you're basically THROWING A SWORD! How is that not cool? ;)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 03:19:07 PM »
I'm throwing a knife. A really big knife. Which is still pretty awesome.  :D

Rufei

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 04:23:18 PM »
Done and done.

Also, new information has been posted. You do not gain the level + 1 magic item thing until you level up (so don't do it for levels 1-12). Please denote whether or not items are innate or not. You cannot switch between innate and physical, unfortunately.

Also, note the AP rule. The trade-off is more noticeable in Paragon, so make sure that you really want to only have 1 AP per day if you choose the stats.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 04:24:28 PM »
Milestones do not exist.
How does this interact with items that become more powerful with milestones and/or require milestones to work at all, like rings and Power Jewels? Are these items basically nerfed?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 04:29:59 PM »
When you run out of AP, you reach a milestone (for item purposes). You can only use 1 AP per encounter.

It is a slight nerf, so I discourage the usage of those items. It's more of how I've ran things and it's worked out just fine. (You guys are powerful enough anyways. :P)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 04:35:10 PM »
When you run out of AP, you reach a milestone (for item purposes). You can only use 1 AP per encounter.
If we gain another AP after reaching 0 AP, say, through a Solitaire, Symbol of Victory, or Punisher of the Gods, do we retain the milestone for item purposes, or is it gone until the AP is spent again?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 04:39:55 PM »
You retain it. You can only gain 1 milestone after each extended rest.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 06:34:49 PM »
How does the lack of milestones affect the Artificer, whose Arcane Empowerment ability starts with one use, and gains more with each passing milestone in a day?

For the special AP option, it says you spend one AP forever. Does this mean that each day you start with one AP instead of the normal two? This essentially means that characters can only gain a max of 2 AP per day, no matter how many encounters there are in a day. Of course, the same goes as normal, meaning a character can only gain a max of 3, so if there's the chance of more than 3 encounters, we need to be extra careful of whether we spend AP in a given encounter. Not that I'm in any place to complain, but that seems fairly restrictive.

Can an Innate magic enchantment be Disenchanted from a person, as normal for a magic item, resulting in 1/5 the effect's value in Residuum?

Also, I'm sure you're getting around to it, but who in your world would be considered the prevailing god of magic and the arcane? I imagine that would be the primary deity of Il Sanaria, and my character's deity as such. However, being that magic isn't as prevalent in the world, is there a god of magic at all?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:01:50 AM by VennDygrem »

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 08:23:54 PM »
I've nearly finished choosing powers for my character. I've had to do a HUGE amount of reading in order to make sense of some of these abilities.

I was considering going heavy blade before, but now I see a lot of people here are going with Double Blade -- where's it from and what's needed to use it?
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 08:25:49 PM »
I was considering going heavy blade before, but now I see a lot of people here are going with Double Blade -- where's it from and what's needed to use it?
You mean a Double Sword - it's from AV and you need Weapon Proficiency in it. However, for a warlord (who doesn't get multiattacks or benefits from wielding two weapons) it's generally better to use a weapon+shield or a two-handed weapon.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 12:51:27 AM »
@dither: I'm not sure what your stats or build is like, but you might want to go with a reach weapon. It'll allow you to attack while standing behind your allies, and bolster them while they separate you and the enemy. You won't have quite as high an AC or reflex save, though the benefit of being able to hit enemies and also be adjacent to allies is rather useful.

It should be fairly easy for you to get the stats necessary for Heavy Blade Opportunity (if going with a glaive or other heavy blade), or really any of the other weapon group-specific feats, given proper racial choices and placement of level bonuses.

But yes, as Agita pointed out the Double Sword is from the Adventurer's Vault. It's much better for two-weapon rangers, tempest fighters, and anyone else who fights with two weapons. As a Warlord, you're more often granting attacks to other allies, and if you're concerned about better defenses, you're way better off going with a shield and one-handed melee weapon.

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 02:18:52 AM »
How does the lack of milestones affect the Artificer, whose Arcane Empowerment ability starts with one use, and gains more with each passing milestone in a day?

For the special AP option, it says you spend one AP forever. Does this mean that each day you start with one AP instead of the normal two? This essentially means that characters can only gain a max of 2 AP per day, no matter how many encounters there are in a day. Of course, the same goes as normal, meaning a character can only gain a max of 3, so if there's the chance of more than 3 encounters, we need to be extra careful of whether we spend AP in a given encounter. Not that I'm in any place to complain, but that seems fairly restrictive.

Can an Innate magic enchantment be Disenchanted from a person, as normal for a magic item, resulting in 1/5 the effect's value in Residuum?

Also, I'm sure you're getting around to it, but who in your world would be considered the prevailing god of magic and the arcane? I imagine that would be the primary deity of Il Sanaria, and my character's deity as such. However, being that magic isn't as prevalent in the world, is there a god of magic at all?

It is restrictive, but the tendency of my DM style is to do more intense battles in a single day, but limit the number of battles to a low number. I believe I have never done more than 3 encounters in a day before, unless if the party specifically pushes themselves to not perform an extended rest.

An Innate magic enchantment may be disenchanted as normal.

There are those who are devout and practice the arcane, but they are not devout because they worship a god of magic/the arcane, they do so because it is more prevalent in their nation. For those who follow magic to the exclusion of other faiths, they become atheists (of which most reside in Il Sanaria for fear of persecution). The nature of the world has split the arcane and the divine into nearly diametrically opposed ends.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 02:52:26 AM »
Alright, good to know.

Still, how does the lack of actual mile stones affect the Artificer's Arcane Empowerment? Does it only then get 2 daily uses of it total (one to start the day, and one as soon as the character runs out of action points? If so, then if a character never uses its last AP, it never gets that effective milestone)?

And what of my second question in that previous post, about the special AP option?

Anyway, regardless, my character is currently done, sheet should be posted in the other thread any moment now.
--------------------
Here's a question: Does anyone think they'd take a Resistive Formula during an encounter? Grants a +1 power bonus to AC until the end of the encounter, and you can end the bonus as a free action to gain THP equal to your surge value + twice my con mod (total is surge +10 THP).
I'm basically wondering if it's worth keeping Enhanced Resistive Formula as a feat right now. It basically allows a second ally to gain the same benefit (same amount of THP, not their own surge value). It makes it a much more useful ability, but if people think I should save the infusions for healing (which I'm not that good at, really, though my healing doesn't require them to necessarily spend their own surges), then I won't really need the feat.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:25:07 AM by VennDygrem »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 05:04:15 AM »
I'd have to say keep the feat, especially since we have a pretty large party, most of which is melee based :)