Author Topic: Play-by-Post GM'ing: Tips, Tricks, & GM tactics  (Read 5011 times)

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
Re: Play-by-Post GM'ing: Tips, Tricks, & GM tactics
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 03:54:46 PM »
5) What makes a Bad PbP gaming experience? This can be from the POV of GM but many of us are players as well. Without naming names or games, rather-- what sort of bad experiences have you had in PbP?

Mostly the same stuff that contributes to a bad game IRL: GM or player has weird ideas about alignment ... makes massive, unsettling changes to the game world, or makes a list of house rules longer than the original rules ... since it continues to be a social game, having a belligerent DM or players with tiny pricks who decide to compensate by being big dicks themselves ... having a DM railroad the characters into any of the annoying standard fantasy tropes, like making Failure Is The Only Option, for example.

I can't really think of any problems that pertain exclusively to PbP games. Maybe "never being online" ?
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 04:06:21 PM »
Players or DMs prone to sudden disappearing acts with no forewarning (even if they come back) suck too (in the sense that they can kill the fun, not that they're necessarily bad players/DMs).
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 04:16:46 PM »
Players or DMs prone to sudden disappearing acts with no forewarning (even if they come back) suck too (in the sense that they can kill the fun, not that they're necessarily bad players/DMs).
^This^

Also, PbP's getting deleted/ended without any warning.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 04:25:33 PM »
First of all, let me say that if someone were to do a Ghostbusters PbP, I'd be all over it. (Wasn't there a system for it?)

In regards to question number 5, I'd have to say that a bad PbP game is one in which the players are not putting forth an effort. There are different degrees of this, such as a minimalistic posting style (this is rather widespread, and virtually everyone is guilty of it at some point), slackness in posting schedule (again, something everyone is guilty of), and especially not taking the time to stay informed. This last one is a bit of a personal vendetta of mine--I am not a "wall of text" person. My descriptions are not overly lengthy. It's my opinion that if I've described the artificers' bazaar, and other players have referenced it in their posts, that someone who posts referencing a farmer's market is quite simply not pulling their own weight. It says "I really don't care enough about this game to bother reading all the information I ought to."

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 04:38:48 PM »
This is usually the case in the PbPs I've been in so far, it doesn't take much, a single player falling off the internet is enough for the game to need to make a save based on number of remaining players. Posting rate falling off is another strike, as is simply dragging on, attention spans being what they are, a large scale battle OR simply a few freestyle encounters(player initiated) is enough to bore players into ceasing to post. Worst of all, is the DM disappearing, this was the fatal injury of the longest PbP I've ever been in(it ran for nearly 2 years, then the DM just disappeared, mid battle to boot).
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 08:55:34 PM »
makes massive, unsettling changes to the game world, or makes a list of house rules longer than the original rules ...

I'm sort of worried....  :rollseyes

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 09:12:59 PM »
makes massive, unsettling changes to the game world, or makes a list of house rules longer than the original rules ...

I'm sort of worried....  :rollseyes

I had a DM once who gave us "mana points" instead of spells per day. He thought his system was all superior to the v.3.5 casting system, until I pointed out that he had nerfed my wizard, who could no longer activate all of the scrolls, staffs, and wands she'd brought along to compensate for the lack of spells per day.

Beyond that, his 4-page handout was just a SUMMARY of all the stuff he changed. We had to consult him about every single thing we decided for our characters -- he changed races, he changed classes, he changed skills, he changed spells, he changed EVERYTHING. He might as well have called it his own game, since it was essentially 3.5 superimposed over this bizarre mishmash of house rules.

He provided us with all this interesting, detailed background material about how there were these strange gates and veils and crap and how demons interacted with the world and stuff and I thought he was sending out signals that he wanted us to play demon-summoners or devil-worshipers or something, so I played into it with my character -- I made a conjurer/demonologist for the hell of it.

...then he told me about all the rules he'd made up for his ridiculous demon-relations checks and crap. It took friggin' ages to do anything involving the Outer Planes, and this was with TENTH LEVEL CHARACTERS. Apparently, summon monster, planar binding, and plane shift weren't good enough for him, no sir. That guy pissed me off.
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

jacemachine

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks