Author Topic: Where does the term "Gish" come from?  (Read 3702 times)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Where does the term "Gish" come from?
« on: July 11, 2009, 06:57:28 AM »
I know what a Gish in D&D is, but I wonder what the word means? What are its origins? Why don't we call them Fruls?

Thanks in advance.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Where does the term "Gish" come from?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 07:05:03 AM »
I'm not sure, but from what I've read it originated in one of the older editions, in the fluff regarding Githyanki, as a term for their fighter/mages...

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 07:18:02 AM »
I'm not sure, but from what I've read it originated in one of the older editions, in the fluff regarding Githyanki, as a term for their fighter/mages...

Like the Githzerai Zerth? I seem to vaguely recall something like that. Thanks for the reply!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 10:12:23 AM »
Well, it's in the 3.5e Monster Manual anyway.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:41:51 AM »
Thanks.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 11:11:37 AM »
Additionally, as I recall, JosephKell used the term for the first WotC handbook for the archetype, which helped make it stick in the CO community and trickle through the rest of the D&D forumsphere.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 02:41:15 PM »
Well, it's in the 3.5e Monster Manual anyway.
I know from personal experience that they refered to them as gishes in the 2E Monstrous Manual as well.  I'm assuming the term dates back to when they were first created, which might predate AD&D.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 03:00:23 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  :)

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 04:48:32 AM »
The actual origin of the term was in the fiend folio.  It is explained to be a combination arcane spellcaster and either fighter or thief.  The term is supposed to be the githyanki word for skilled. 
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 05:35:06 AM »
The actual origin of the term was in the fiend folio.  It is explained to be a combination arcane spellcaster and either fighter or thief.  The term is supposed to be the githyanki word for skilled. 

I suppose there's no more definite answer.  ;) Thanks.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 12:06:28 PM »
+1 and damn you for beating me out of my one chance to spout my githyanki lore!
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 02:01:33 AM »
Gish especially applies to githyanki who are level 4 in each of their classes.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Cromarty

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 11:32:57 PM »

:eh You beat me to it. Originally in 2e when the Githyanki first appeared (I think it was 2e) they were big in Planescape and especially Spelljammer. Anyway, they were sort of like Drow originally were-designed to really challenge parties. As part of that they had explicit members of their attack teams (called "rrakma") who fought like fighters (or thieves) and cast like wizards (or whatever.) That made them very dangerous entities and challenged a lot of the expectations of PCs going into the fight. More unpredictability made the fights more difficult without raising the rewards-exactly like the Drow with their special magic items that dissolved in sunlight. At some point the term got co-opted, probably by the CO board on the WotC website and now it just means a double-threat character.

So, that's a bunch of useless trivia that doesn't enrich your life at all. Enjoy!  :D

-Cromarty