Author Topic: MechWarrior is BACK!  (Read 3061 times)

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
MechWarrior is BACK!
« on: July 10, 2009, 03:21:23 PM »
Watch here, there's also an interview.

As a fan since MechWarrior 2, I'm excited to say in the least.

I'm just hoping they don't anything critical to the series (like customization [I'm looking at you, MechAssault]) for the 360.
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: MechWarrior is BACK!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 02:56:06 AM »
Mechwarrior is a biiiig favorite of mine. I've loved it since the 1st game (as well as the BattleTech games, The Crescent Hawk's Inception, and The Crescent Hawk's Revenge). Wish they'd make another true BattleTech game.... but I'll take Mechwarrior!

Customization, good joystick control (including torso twist!) reasonable AI, gimme gimme gimme!

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
Is it true? A real Mechwarrior again? Awesome. I hope it isn't a watered down one such as MW4...

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 10:05:25 AM »
WANT!

Now let's hope my PC will be able to support it when it comes out...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 10:09:08 AM »
Even set solidly before the Clan's Invasion. Makes me even more eager. Not that I dislike the Clans and their Mechs, but Mechwarrior 2: Mercs was awesome with that old tech and the gradual upgrading.

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 09:34:47 PM »
Even set solidly before the Clan's Invasion. Makes me even more eager. Not that I dislike the Clans and their Mechs, but Mechwarrior 2: Mercs was awesome with that old tech and the gradual upgrading.
YES! This. So much. Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries is my favorite game of the whole Mechwarrior series.

Of course, that was also before they implemented typed slots, so you could stuff a Mech full of PPCs if I wanted, with no other armaments. (Yeah, I had heat problems.)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 06:38:03 AM »
Those typed slots were stupid. The only good change in MW4 and onward was providing more ammo to ACs, since their tabletop ammo was based on a game lasting 10 turns maximum.

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 01:37:56 AM »
Those typed slots were stupid. The only good change in MW4 and onward was providing more ammo to ACs, since their tabletop ammo was based on a game lasting 10 turns maximum.
Honestly, the typed slots were the only things keeping mechs from being tonnage and nothing else. I'm not the only one here who thought it was stupid to see a PPC shooting out of a missile rack, am I?

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 05:59:09 AM »
That was a game limitation: in Battletech, the Mech would be partially rebuilt.
Besides, in the tabletop Mechs are little more than tonnage, but you have to play around with internal slots available to accomodate your Heatsinks, Engine, Internal Skeleton, Armour and bonus systems, AND with tonnage. Mechwarrior 2 & 3 worked this way and were a lot more satisfying for me to play around with.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 10:29:20 AM »
Yeah, in the tabletop I loved building my own mechs.  I prefered 55-80 tons and ussually 55 and 80.  hehe, min maxing my builds even back then.

And the new game is looking cool too. 
Placeholder - T'tosc

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 10:36:55 AM »
Yeah, in the tabletop I loved building my own mechs.  I prefered 55-80 tons and ussually 55 and 80.  hehe, min maxing my builds even back then.

I'm afraid we saw the intro movie, not actual gameplay footage.

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 01:33:39 PM »
Besides, in the tabletop Mechs are little more than tonnage, but you have to play around with internal slots available to accomodate your Heatsinks, Engine, Internal Skeleton, Armour and bonus systems, AND with tonnage. Mechwarrior 2 & 3 worked this way and were a lot more satisfying for me to play around with.

What edition was that? I dunno if you browsed the comments section on that page, but I spent a couple of posts saying "But I remember customizing my mech the couple times I played TT", and then having a few Battletech nuts telling me I'm wrong. :P

Current PbP Games:

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 01:56:47 PM »

What edition was that? I dunno if you browsed the comments section on that page, but I spent a couple of posts saying "But I remember customizing my mech the couple times I played TT", and then having a few Battletech nuts telling me I'm wrong. :P

TT? No, I didn't browsed through the comments, but I will now. :)
That's from the Battletech Masterrules, the "definite" version. I, and I can imagine a lot of others, consider this the last version, and try to ignore the MW: Dark Ages Heroclix shit that appeared. Please do not base your opinion of MW on that.  ;)

EDIT: I remember why I skip comments. Brain can only tolerate certain amounts of melting.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 02:01:55 PM by GawainBS »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 02:27:18 PM »
EDIT: I remember why I skip comments. Brain can only tolerate certain amounts of melting.
Reminds me of Youtube :P
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 02:37:10 PM »
Heh, sorry. You kinda have to sift through to find intelligent discussion. >_>

Also: TT = Tabletop. Kinda got the acronym burned into my brain from lurking the Dawn of War II forums.

I'll look at my friend's Battletech stuff again to see what version it is.

Current PbP Games:

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 03:20:14 PM »

I'm afraid we saw the intro movie, not actual gameplay footage.

I'm afraid you are right.  Here's to hoping for something good  :cheers
Placeholder - T'tosc

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 04:01:44 PM »
I for one, would like to have the Mechs feel like 80 tons of badness. I don't want it to feel too quick and action oriented. I don't want Gundam or Armoured Core (nothing bad about those, I love 'em), but this is Battletech. It should feel more like a simulator than an arcade game.
And did I mention that I want to have customisation?  :D On this topic: each Mech has several standard versions, but you are free to personalise them, as in TT.
Another thing I hope for is that you have air support.
Finally, the Mercenary concept is just too cool to pass up: starting with a 25 ton ricketicky Commando and ending with a lance of Atlases armed to the teeth and some Aerotech overhead. I really love the feeling of progression. This doesn't have to be via a Mercenary-idea, but it is the simplest.

What do you hope for?

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 08:55:01 PM »
Well, the article said that they won't be forcing people to work their way up the mech ladder (at least not in multiplayer). Instead they're planning on an RPG-esque system where you get better with mechs/weapons you use more, thus creating a niche for lighter mechs among the giant Assualt class mechs.

I'm hoping for MW4-like speed, nothing like Mechassault or Chromehounds (though I did like Chromehounds) as well as an awesome level of customization.

Current PbP Games:

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 05:46:04 AM »
Having a way of making the lighter Mechs more viable in late game would be very nice. I'm all for RPG-esque things.