Author Topic: [OOC] Character Creation and Setting  (Read 19527 times)

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: [OOC] Character Creation and Setting
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
You can find the Verold Rogue variant here -> http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2410.msg119433#msg119433

However, you're more than free to not let me get it because Hide in Plain Sight in conjuction with +17 Hide and Death Attack (DC 13-14) at level 1 is overpowered.

Do the Martial Compendium from the WoTC website counts? I can understand that you'd probably disallow them because they offer a whole bunch of new classes and new maneuvers that you don't have the time to intergrate in your story but it's just that we already have another swordsage in the party :p
Never underestimate a halfling!

Sepehr Anvari - Chaos Monk

Velnius Agonista - Halfling Thrower (needs repair)

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 05:14:58 PM »
Do the Martial Compendium from the WoTC website counts? I can understand that you'd probably disallow them because they offer a whole bunch of new classes and new maneuvers that you don't have the time to intergrate in your story but it's just that we already have another swordsage in the party :p

The Verold rogue looks fine. Actually, I'm leaving any setting integration up to you guys as players. Those of you who've played Diablo 2 before should know that the setting is kind of a grim-and-gritty Gauntlet, and those of you who don't know the setting -- well, we'll be pretty much making things up as we go along.

The only restriction I'm going to place on this game is that everybody have finished character sheets up by Monday morning so we can start the first "quest." Anyone who isn't ready by that time can still join in, but they'll be behind in experience and won't have as much time to work with me (as DM) or the other players when building their character.

edit: Can you link me so I don't have to look for it? Thanks in advance.
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 05:45:38 PM »
I wouldn't worry about having a similar swordsage. they have a large enough maneuver selection that it doesn't matter much.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 05:54:59 PM »
How will leveling work after the 6th ECL?
Every 5,000 exp after 6th nets you a bonus feat, for which you must meet the normal requirements.
Can we also get the option to aquire new hit dice, because I fear my character will become rather... crunchy

What do you think templetes Lolth-touched, Fire-Souled, Void mind or Dragonborn?
Lolth-touched is acceptable if you're willing to work with me to reflavor it. Dragonborn is acceptable, though bland in my opinion. I think Voidmind is inappropriate for the setting but I'll allow it if you'll work with me to reflavor it. I'm not familiar with the Fire-souled template.
It's a template from Dragon Magizine, but you can find it here, it grants leadership, and the ability to disrupted Charsima based abilities...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 06:51:33 PM »
Extra Fundamental [general]
Prerequisites: Able to cast 1st-level mysteries.
Benefit: You learn a fundamental of shadow.

I thought the point of taking Shadow Fundamentalist was to focus on fundamental shadow magic. For now, I'm going to say no, for the time being, because as I recall, you're allowed to use each fundamental you know 3 times per day. The feat you've created would essentially give you 3/day of cantrips that are sometimes as good as 1st-level spells. I might consider it if there were a caveat or something that only let you use the new fundamental 1/day, but then I remember that the shadow fundamentalist gets unlimited use of all fundamentals...

*sigh* I'm going to say no until you demonstrate how you actually *need* it for your character to function. I realize that they're basically only cantrips and that shouldn't be a big deal, but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It's actually only so I don't have to not gain mysteries for two levels, and gain fundamentals instead, since then I'll never get third level mysteries, but still... I can live without them...

You forgot to answer about using fundamentals from tome of shadow, though...

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 07:23:22 PM »
Can we also get the option to aquire new hit dice, because I fear my character will become rather... crunchy
Absolutely not. No Player Character can or will have more than 6 Hit Dice. Ever. Period. This is E6, after all.

It's a template from Dragon Magizine, but you can find it here, it grants leadership, and the ability to disrupted Charsima based abilities...
Fire-souled is fine though I won't allow you to acquire the cohort until the character reaches character level 6th.

You forgot to provide me with a link.  :smirk

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 08:20:36 PM »
Absolutely not. No Player Character can or will have more than 6 Hit Dice. Ever. Period. This is E6, after all.
Ok.... is there any way to aquire the raptoran unlabor'ed flight, it's normally only avalible if you have 10HD
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 08:34:13 PM »
Ok.... is there any way to aquire the raptoran unlabor'ed flight, it's normally only avalible if you have 10HD

Ah, I think I understand what you're looking for. I might allow feats to qualify as "virtual Hit Dice" for qualifying for racial abilities. I'll have to look at the ability you're referring to, however. Where is it located?

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 08:40:53 PM »

Ah, I think I understand what you're looking for. I might allow feats to qualify as "virtual Hit Dice" for qualifying for racial abilities. I'll have to look at the ability you're referring to, however. Where is it located?
Races of the Wild page 68

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 09:27:16 PM »
What do you guys recommend for Weapon Focus in one disciplines weapons?
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 10:18:27 PM »
What do you guys recommend for Weapon Focus in one disciplines weapons?
you get it free with the war domain... I think

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 10:31:12 PM »
You get it free as a 1st level Swordsage as well. But for like 7 weapons at once. So, which discipline?

Actually, the better question is what weapon? I'm looking at a greatsword.

ErhnamDJ

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 10:34:39 PM »

It really depends on what you're trying to do. If you're making a Dex based build (and will be using the Shadow Blade feat), then you go with Shadow Hand. It's up in the air with the others.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 11:59:53 PM »
I'm not really dex-based, but Spiked Chain wouldn't be bad. Shadow Blade, the Exotic Weapon Prof. and bad-assery to boot. I can really hype up the outsider-ness. Because who uses a Spiked Chain, honestly?

Anyhow, that was probably the biggest hurdle I have left. How much gold do we get?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 12:08:44 AM by Generic_PC »

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 02:55:21 AM »
How many traits and flaws can a PC have? (if any)

PS: At which levels players would be able to imbue their weapons with special abilities (returning for example :flutter) ?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 04:26:48 AM by Nuntius Mortis »

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 03:47:48 AM »
I think Voidmind is inappropriate for the setting but I'll allow it if you'll work with me to reflavor it.
What is, instead of being half eaten by three mindflayers, half my soul is in the possesion of a demonic dragon, the price I paided for the dragonborn ritual... we remove the cone of acid, the tentical, and the Mind Flayer host?

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 05:36:26 AM »
Nuntius, I wouldn't go there. Flaws/Traits just over-complicate a game for little actual benefit, especially PbP, which is advanced with mostly roleplay. PbP is often more abstract than actual Tabletop, insofar as tactics and such go.

That being said, this is a campaign based on Diablo 2, which is essentially level after level of combat.

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 08:43:08 AM »
You forgot to provide me with a link.  :smirk
[/quote]

Oh, crap...

Here is a link http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=13515846&postcount=7
http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=13515865&postcount=8

Also, I know I am asking for really much, but feats? yay or nay http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=13515895&postcount=10
http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=13515913&postcount=11

And just so you know it....
Tome of Shadow is REALLY big, could have been it's own sourcebook...

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 09:16:48 AM »
Nuntius, I wouldn't go there. Flaws/Traits just over-complicate a game for little actual benefit, especially PbP, which is advanced with mostly roleplay. PbP is often more abstract than actual Tabletop, insofar as tactics and such go.

That being said, this is a campaign based on Diablo 2, which is essentially level after level of combat.

Flaws and Traits may complicate things some times but because this is a E6 game and we'd only have 3 feats in the end if non-human, non-fighter etc. we could use some more feats via the acquisition of flaws ;)

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 12:21:08 PM »
Flaws and Traits may complicate things some times but because this is a E6 game and we'd only have 3 feats in the end if non-human, non-fighter etc. we could use some more feats via the acquisition of flaws ;)

Once you reach 6th level, you gain an additional feat for every 5,000 exp thereafter. Considering that while your level will remain at 6th but the monsters will continue to get harder, you should gain additional feats fairly regularly/often, particularly if you target high-level opponents.

How does everyone miss this?

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]