Author Topic: [OOC] Character Creation and Setting  (Read 19526 times)

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
[OOC] Character Creation and Setting
« on: July 07, 2009, 07:54:22 PM »
The Adventure Hook:
A fortress in the West has fallen under attack and has sent out a call for those with strength of arms to lend aid.

Knowledge (arcana)
  • Powerful magic and ancient lore is said to be stored in the fortress, which doubles as a monastery.
Knowledge (architecture)
  • The fortress is famed for its intricate stoneworks, its beautiful cathedral, and its extensive catacombs.
  • A great gate was erected in a site nicknamed the "stony field," which bars passage to the monastery and serves as its first line of defense.
Knowledge (dungeoneering)
  • Nestled in a pass in one of the largest mountain ranges in the nation, the area is known for its numerous natural cave complexes.
Knowledge (geography)
  • The fortress sits in a very lucrative spot at a mountain pass that's the fastest place to travel from the East to the West, and vice versa.
Knowledge (history)
  • The site is known to have been controlled by several different groups in the past and is currently under the control of a benign cult known as the Sisterhood of the Sightless Eye, an organization sworn to fight evil and demonic corruption.
  • Numerous crypts and ruins are known to be scattered throughout the area, where previous forts and settlements existed.
Knowledge (nature)
  • The fortress is in a very defensible location. Forests and swamps lead into the foothills and segue into the mountains. The pass itself is narrow and not an easy place to stage an attack.
Knowledge (the planes)
  • The fortress is at a dimensional weak point, where crossing the planar boundaries would be very easy.
Knowledge (religion)
  • This fortress is known as the Citadel of the Sightless Eye and is a monastery owned and operated by an organization known as the Sisterhood of the Sightless Eye.

This is an E6 game using the gestalt rules. All characters begin at ECL 1. The setting is based on Diablo 2, and as such, the game will be primarily hack-n-slash. However, being the DM I am, there will also be ample opportunities to interact with other characters, solve puzzles and riddles, etc, etc. A constant stream of combat is boring anyway. All characters receive +12 bonus hit points at 1st level.

The types of encounters you can expect are thus:
  • 1/3 of monsters will be chaotic evil outsiders and their minions
  • 1/3 of monsters will be undead
  • 1/3 will be made up of an assortment of other creature types

Usable material:
Anything core is cool. All published v.3.5 non-setting material is also cool. Any Dungeon/Dragon magazine or homebrew shenanigans must go through me, along with any setting-specific material.

Level Adjustment:
I thought it would be cool to do something different, but it seems like most are in objection to that, so we'll just go by the point-buy adjustments for E6/level adjustment rules. I don't really care how you build your character, as long as you wind up with a completed character that you're actually going to want to play. If you build a boring invincible character and you aren't having fun playing the character, that's your fault, not mine.

Background:
Access to the rogue's camp, which is where we will beginning the game, is available via merchant roads. The camp is small and cramped, and is based on an old fortification from several decades earlier. There are 300-odd people in the camp. You should come up with a reason for why your character has come to the rogue's camp (possibly based on the "knowledge hooks" I provided above) and how/when they arrived.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:59:28 PM by dither »
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
Re: [OOC] Character Creation and Setting
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:22:47 PM »
Level Adjustment:
I thought it would be cool to do something different, but it seems like most are in objection to that, so we'll just go by the point-buy adjustments for E6/level adjustment rules. I don't really care how you build your character, as long as you wind up with a completed character that you're actually going to want to play. If you build a boring invincible character and you aren't having fun playing the character, that's your fault, not mine.

So, if I play a LA 2 character, can I buy off?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 08:26:03 PM »

Yup, though I reserve the right to take a nerf bat to powers on a case-by-case basis.

What race were you looking at?

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 08:31:16 PM »
Ima play a Githzerai Swordsage/Warblade/Monk. We'll see how it works out.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 08:34:49 PM »

Yup, though I reserve the right to take a nerf bat to powers on a case-by-case basis.

What race were you looking at?

Shadow Dragonborn Raptoran... I know this sounds cheezy... but it's all about being able to achive a combat style no one class is built for...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 08:40:41 PM »
Ima play a Githzerai Swordsage/Warblade/Monk. We'll see how it works out.

I sense a high AC here ;)

@dither, have you found a way to squeeze it all in a rilmani 6 level monster class? If not, do you want some help? I like building monster classes as well :p
Never underestimate a halfling!

Sepehr Anvari - Chaos Monk

Velnius Agonista - Halfling Thrower (needs repair)

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 08:53:38 PM »
@dither, have you found a way to squeeze it all in a rilmani 6 level monster class? If not, do you want some help? I like building monster classes as well :p

After glancing at it, my thoughts were to halve the DR 20/+2 and make it progress through levels 1-6. I'd make the sneak attack progress at odd numbered levels like a rogue, have HiPS awarded at 6th, uncanny dodge at 2nd, probably drop SR entirely, and award SLAs at varying levels. I only glanced at the race a bit, but I'm sure it wouldn't take too much effort to reduce it to serviceable levels.

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 08:56:02 PM »

After glancing at it, my thoughts were to halve the DR 20/+2 and make it progress through levels 1-6. I'd make the sneak attack progress at odd numbered levels like a rogue, have HiPS awarded at 6th, uncanny dodge at 2nd, probably drop SR entirely, and award SLAs at varying levels. I only glanced at the race a bit, but I'm sure it wouldn't take too much effort to reduce it to serviceable levels.

All good then. What about shift strikes and its ability modifiers?

PS: For races with LA we use the point buy system as Generic did or the following:

Give yourself the stats you want. Be reasonable; the maximum ability score allowed before racial modifiers is 18.

??
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:01:52 PM by Nuntius Mortis »

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 08:56:43 PM »
My Githzerai 'll be a Swordsage 6//Warblade 1/Monk 2/Warblade 4 with a point buy of 18.

Something like

Str 12 (4)
Dex 14
Con 14 (6)
Int 10 (4)
Wis 14 (4)
Cha 8

Hmm, that was easy. I gotta go get a myth-weavers sheet for the war-monk-sage. Or the Sword-monk-blade?

On the other hand, If dither wants to reduce the Githzerai LA by dropping some stuff, I'd be up for that. SR and Psionic SLAs are probably an LA.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 09:28:33 PM »
I'm thinking before the racial
str 16
dex 10
con 16
int 10
wis 16
cha 8

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 07:34:41 AM »
It is homebrew, but I don't think it is very powerful, it basically makes me use shadow fundamentals at-will (and shadow fundamentals is around the power of 0th level spells, maybe a small bit stronger...) http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=13516135&postcount=21

If that is okay, I think I'll go with Shadowcaster 3/Shadow Fundamentalist 3//Maybe even truenamer 6 (because it's cool (but if I do, I'll have to optimize Truespeak a bit with feats and items)...
Spellthief 6 or druid 6 or focused conjurer 6 is the other things I am thinking of on one side...

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 12:58:55 PM »
It is homebrew, but I don't think it is very powerful, it basically makes me use shadow fundamentals at-will (and shadow fundamentals is around the power of 0th level spells, maybe a small bit stronger...) http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=13516135&postcount=21

It's all about arrow of duskShadow Fundamentalist looks fine.

Give yourself the stats you want. Be reasonable; the maximum ability score allowed before racial modifiers is 18.

Sorry, copy+pasted from the older thread.

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 10:34:48 PM »
Does the homebrewed Verold variant of the rogue counts in that campaign?

PS: Which templates are allowed?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:19:03 PM by Nuntius Mortis »

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 02:56:32 AM »
How will leveling work after the 6th ECL?

What are the limits to our Gestalting?

What do you think templetes Lolth-touched, Fire-Souled, Void mind or Dragonborn?

ErhnamDJ

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 05:05:52 AM »
May I take the Dynamic Priest feat (found in Dragonlance - Legends of the Twins)? It can be found here.

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 06:52:02 AM »
BTW, when I am using the fundamentalist from the tome of shadow, can I also use the fundamentals from there (just to give me a few more options...)

Also, it is a feat I've thought up that I think will be very useful (though not that powerful):

Extra Fundamental [general]
Prerequisites: Able to cast 1st-level mysteries.
Benefit: You learn a fundamental of shadow.

(the point is that without it, I can't get 3rd level mysteries, as I'll have to use my mysteries on learning fundamentals...

other than that, I'll really have to decide what my other class will be...
I think it will be druid or focused conjurer...

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 10:41:13 AM »
Is JaronK's Shadow Hand Ninja available in this campaign? If yes, then I'll prefer him from the rogue.

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 12:29:45 PM »
Does the homebrewed Verold variant of the rogue counts in that campaign?
I'm not familiar with this variant. Do you have a link?

PS: Which templates are allowed?
I'm going to throw the door open and say "anything goes." Just make sure you check with me before selecting a template you think is questionable. I think it goes without saying that it's much easier to kill a character than make one, so if you're invested in the concept, make sure you clear things with me. It shouldn't be necessary for players to try and get crap past me.

How will leveling work after the 6th ECL?
Every 5,000 exp after 6th nets you a bonus feat, for which you must meet the normal requirements.

What are the limits to our Gestalting?
I prefer that everyone use the tier system as a guideline for choosing classes to gestalt. Try and make sure your character isn't too far behind in power compared to the rest of the party.

What do you think templetes Lolth-touched, Fire-Souled, Void mind or Dragonborn?
Lolth-touched is acceptable if you're willing to work with me to reflavor it. Dragonborn is acceptable, though bland in my opinion. I think Voidmind is inappropriate for the setting but I'll allow it if you'll work with me to reflavor it. I'm not familiar with the Fire-souled template.

May I take the Dynamic Priest feat (found in Dragonlance - Legends of the Twins)? It can be found here.
This feat is acceptable, though I'm going to say you must choose a class for it to work, and must select the feat multiple times if you wish for it to apply to multiple classes.

Is JaronK's Shadow Hand Ninja available in this campaign? If yes, then I'll prefer him from the rogue.
I don't see why not. Go ahead.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:32:47 PM by dither »

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
Extra Fundamental [general]
Prerequisites: Able to cast 1st-level mysteries.
Benefit: You learn a fundamental of shadow.

I thought the point of taking Shadow Fundamentalist was to focus on fundamental shadow magic. For now, I'm going to say no, for the time being, because as I recall, you're allowed to use each fundamental you know 3 times per day. The feat you've created would essentially give you 3/day of cantrips that are sometimes as good as 1st-level spells. I might consider it if there were a caveat or something that only let you use the new fundamental 1/day, but then I remember that the shadow fundamentalist gets unlimited use of all fundamentals...

*sigh* I'm going to say no until you demonstrate how you actually *need* it for your character to function. I realize that they're basically only cantrips and that shouldn't be a big deal, but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 02:16:53 PM »
I should have my Githzerai done by tomorrow. Assuming that I am fast at figuring out my skills in gestalt.