Author Topic: Character help  (Read 1889 times)

crazy65807

• Noob
    • Email
Character help
« on: July 07, 2009, 05:42:03 AM »
My friend is about to start a D&D 3.5 game and is using the 32 point buy for stats and starting us off @ lvl 10. I was thinking about playing a bard. I have looked around for a good bard build and I keep seeing things similar to bard6/lyric thaumaturge3/virtuoso1/sublime chord2/virtuoso8. Another friend showed me the beguiler. I am not sure which to play as. Also what would be a good configuration with the stats.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Character help
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 05:44:04 AM »
It's generally frowned upon to say 'Hey, I'm thinking of making a bard, give me a build and a point buy.' If you would, please give more details about what it is you want to do for the party, how good the other players are, any house rules in play, and the like. In particular, make clear what you want to do with the character so we know what direction you want to take your character. The more you give us, the more we can help.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:48:37 AM »
Which books can you use? What race do you want to be?
One possible option: Human Beguiler, S 10, D 14, C 14, I 16 (made 18 with the increases at lvl 4 & 8), W 10, Ch 14.
As for feats, I'd say Improved Initiative, Arcane Preparation and Quicken, one feat free to choose.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 06:35:54 PM »
First of all, have a constitution of 12 or 14, no matter what you choose.

Second, your special abilities will be based on a single stat no matter which you choose.  If you're going bard, charisma will be important - if you're going beguiler, intelligence is.  Since you're starting out at level 10, you'll have recieved two free one-point stat bonuses.  Put an 18 into your appropriate mental stat, then add on both of your points gained by levelling.  You'll also want to purchase some sort of magic item to make your ability score higher - either a clock/vest of charisma, or a headband of intellect.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 07:03:46 PM »
either a clock/vest of charisma...
Gotta love those clocks of charisma.  Punctuality is always sexy!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 07:16:04 PM »
You laugh because you haven't played a warforged favored soul.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

duncandun

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 07:20:03 PM »
Well, depends what you want really. Beguiler and Bard generally don't really have the same playstyle(in my opinion, though I'm sure theres plenty of cloak-and-dagger style bards out there), even though they are incredibly similar : Both jack of all trades, both have arcane spell casting, both can/are rogueish.

In my opinion, play a beguiler if you want to play a rogue-arcanist, they are great BFCs early on and if you mix it up with shadowcraft mage, they can be absolutely devastating in a fight. And while I'm on the topic of SCMs, beguiler SCMs are my favorite type.

but like others have said - without more info can't really give you any solid build-advice:).

ErhnamDJ

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 07:27:05 PM »

Beguiler into Prestige Bard? Then you can stack on all the Inspire Courage feats, just like normal, but now you're casting bard spells earlier than bards, and using the much preferable Intelligence. Maybe be a gray elf and take Faerie Mysteries Initiate?

Amadi

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 08:22:53 PM »
Bard 7 / Rogue 3 / Sublime Chord 2 / Arcane Trickster 8

That is my favourite "bard" build.

130+23xInt Skill Points (Assuming you start as rogue, otherwise, -6.), 6d6 Sneak Attack, Casting as level 10 Sublime Chord and as 7th level bard (Practiced Spellcaster and your with SubChord CL is 21, too. 25 with song of arcane power.. And well, all your other songs suck, so that's what you'll be using. Suggestion is DC 14+Cha, so you might use that situationally, though.). 6+11d6+8d4+20xCon HP (Avg: 64.5+20xCon). Bardic Knowledge as level 9 bard. +5/+14/+15 saves, too. EDIT: And +12 BaB, with or without fractional BaB.

Or:
Bard 7 / Swordsage 2 / Marshal 1 / Sublime Chord 2 / Arcane Trickster 8

If your DM allows ToB. You get one bonus stance that can be handy, and some decent situational abilities. Oh, and wisdom to AC in light armor. In addition, the aura means that you WILL succeed on song of arcane power DC 30. :smirk

The best part? They are both rather viable on most levels. Just pick a bunch of support spells and sing stupid songs at low levels, trying to flank for sneak attacks if you can. Later on, well.. You have high level spells. From sorc/wizard spell list.  :rollseyes
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:33:45 PM by Amadi »