Author Topic: Making Wolverine  (Read 14420 times)

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
Making Wolverine
« on: May 31, 2008, 01:28:36 PM »
Wolverine

Elan Barb2/Totemist 2/Warblade 4/ Bloodclaw Master 3/warblade +1/Horizon Walker 2
/ Warblade +2

Stats 32 pt buy
Str 18 (20 when shifting) (includes 2 level)  Dex 14  Con 18 (includes 2 level)  Int 10  Wis  12  Cha 6

Bab +14
Saves Fort +20 Ref +10 Will +1

flaws:Vulnerable, Weak Will

Feats

Flaw)Power Attack
Flaw)Toughness
1)Troll-Blooded
3)imp bull ruch
6)Multiattack
9)Leap Attack
bonus)Endurance
12)Rapid Strike
15)Shock Trooper

Class Abilities
[spoiler]Terrain Mastery Desert, Underground
Imp. Uncanny Dodge
Wild Empathy
Illiteracy (assume bought off)
Totem Chakra Bind (+1 capacity)
Claws of the Beast
Shifting 2/day
Superior twf
tiger claw synergy(stance)
pouncing strike
low-light vision
Rage 1/day
Pounce (barb sub level)[/spoiler]

Chakra Binds
Sphinx Claws (totem) 2 essentia

Maneuvers (IL 13)
[spoiler]
1st
Sudden leap(readied)
Momemt of Perfect mind (readied)

2nd
claw at the moon

3rd
iron heart surge(readied)
Soaring raptor strike

4th
Fountain of Blood
Lightning Recovery

5th
Dancing Mongoose(Readied)

6th
Iron Hear endurance(readied)[/spoiler]

Stances
[spoiler]
1st
hunters sence

3rd
Absolute Steel Stance
Leaping Dragon Stance[/spoiler]

Attacks

Claws 2 +15 1d8 +6 and 2 +13 1d8 +6
avg dmg 42

when shifting
Claws 2 +16 1d8+7 and 2 +14 1d8+7
avg dmg 46

When Shifting and Leap attacking full
Claws 2 +21 1d8+35 and 2 +19 1d8+35  (-14 to ac)
avg dmg 158

items
off the top of my head the only ones that would realy help the build out would be rings of immunity against fire and acid, monks belt will also increase ac as well as give him some hand to hand prowess.

(Alternate versions: Being a razor claw shifter would add 4 to the damage of the secondary claws making them 1d4+9 but you would lose a feat, dropping imp unarmed strike and wearing a monks belt is probably the best idea for then.  Being a Human would give you a bonus feat and you'ld lose out on rapid strike but could instead take imp. unarmed strike and track.)

His offensive capabilities are respectable for a normal game, but the area he accels in is take a beating.  Suggestions are more than welcome (he's level 16 cause wolfy never struck me as a 20).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 08:50:58 AM by Cyrocloud »

Blade2718

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Un4given Ghosts Scenario Paintball
    • Email
Re: Making Wolverine
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 02:30:50 PM »
Feral Human, maybe some more LA just to get him Regeneration or Fast Healing.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 03:35:25 PM »
Mineral Warrior Feral Human as far as I'm concerned.

Barbarian 2/Warblade 4/Horizon Walker 1/Swordsage 2/Bloodclaw Master 2/Warblade +9 would be my basic build skeleton of choice, but everyone has there own favorite with these kind of builds :P

~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 04:12:35 PM »
I thought humans couldn't be feral.  He has regen 1/fire and acid from the troll-blooded feat, I'm thinking elan might be a better fit than human for wolfy now though, it gives a much longer life span, and allows him to qualify for rapidstrike.  The only problem being feats.  I guess a monk's belt would be more optimal than imp unarmed strike in this case, and then maybe there's a magic item to give track and I could then fit in Rapid Strike...what does rapid strike do exactly, I don't own draconomicon does it just give you another nat attack or something on those lines.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 05:10:01 PM »
Needs more regeneration. WAY more regeneration.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 05:24:16 PM »
Yeah, more wouldn't hurt in the least, but how does one go about getting regen.  Besides the troll-blooded the only ways I can think of are trollshap, shapechange and MoMF.  Getting away from troll blooded would be nice because it would free up two more levels and a feat but I'd probably then use it on exotic weap master and exotic weap pro (bastard sword), since wolfy was a samurai, or at least well versed in the use of a katana.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 05:35:01 PM »
What about a razorclaw shifter with the Shifter Savagery and Healing factor feats?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 05:53:17 PM »
Healing Factor is nice but it is a small amount to heal and only when done shifting, And shifter feats in gereral don't seem to add much to this build.  Flavor wise they seem close, but head in a different direction then of what I've thought of wolverine, for while he has become feral and is very canine like, he doesn't realy seem to have anything to do with lycanthrope plus I already got claws that look kina similar to wolverines on command. (I guess being a Elan doesn't fit to well either though...).

edit:On second thought being a shifter would make sence, but being one would not realy aid the build unless the claws gained would stack with the sphinx claws giving him 4 attacks a round.  upon reading sphinx claws again it seems like it might.  I going to switch the build around a bit then.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:07:29 PM by Cyrocloud »

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 07:41:12 PM »
Half-troll template.  LA +4 (I think, I know it is CR +2) but gives +6 Str, +4 (?) Con, and fast healing 5.  Also claw and bite attacks, and rend.

Makes you a giant, though.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 10:59:24 PM »
Half-troll template.  LA +4 (I think, I know it is CR +2) but gives +6 Str, +4 (?) Con, and fast healing 5.  Also claw and bite attacks, and rend.

Makes you a giant, though.

9th level racial sub for Shifter Rangers can get a Beasthide Shifter very nice Fast Healing
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 12:35:18 PM »
How playable do you want this to be? I don't think Wolvie is actually anywhere near playable, but that's just me.

A theoretical approach that has a bit fo flavor. There's a Shifter subrace in one of the Dragons I recently acquired that grants him the reptilian subtype. You could just use a lesser version of the Pun-Pun trick to get the regen of a war troll... or the tarrasque :D

By lesser, I mean have the Sarrukh grant you the regen instead of Manipulate form.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 08:50:23 PM »
How about this? Its a little simpler in that that it stays primarily to Ranger, but hey I like simple.

[spoiler]
Wolverine
Male Feral RazorClaws Shifter; 11th-Level Non-Spellcasting, Shifter Sub. Ranger/1st-Level Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy Barbarian/2nd-Level Totemist 
Size/Type: Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Shape shifter)
Hit Dice: 14d10+3 (135 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50 ft. (6 squares),
Armor Class: 18 (+0 Armor, +2 Dex, +6 Natural Armor), touch 12, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+16
Full Attack (Two-Weapon Fighting): 2 Sphinx Claws (Adamantine during shifting) +18/+16/+13/+11/+8/+6 melee (2d6+5 (+8 during shifting)/x2)
Full Attack (Against Humans): 2 Sphinx Claws (Adamantine during shifting) +24/+22/+19/+17/+14/+12 melee (2d6+8 (+11 during shifting)/x2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce, Improved Grab, Rake, Rend
Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Darkvision (120ft.), Shifting (1/day; 7 rounds; +2 Str) Wild Empathy (+12), Favored Enemy (Humanoid: Humans +6, Aberrations +2, Construct +2), Distracting Attack, Woodland Stride, Swift Tracker, Enhanced Shifting, Boost (1/day; +4 to Con, Dex, or Wis for 11 minutes),   
Resistances: Evasion, Fast Healing 5, Immune to Bull Rush
Soulmelds Bound (2 Essentia): Sphinx Claws (Hands, Totem Bind, 2 Essentia), Kruthik Claws (Shoulders), Shedu Crown (Crown) 
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +12, Will +4
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Balance +4, Climb +8, Hide +20, Jump +23, Knowledge (Arcana) +8, Listen +16, Move Silently +20, Tumble +16, Survival +15
FeatsAlignment: Chaotic Good   
Languages: Common
L.A.: +1
Challenge Rating: 15[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 01:17:11 PM »
edit:On second thought being a shifter would make sence, but being one would not realy aid the build unless the claws gained would stack with the sphinx claws giving him 4 attacks a round.  upon reading sphinx claws again it seems like it might.  I going to switch the build around a bit then.

No, they don't. If you are granted a natural attack that you all ready have you use whichever one is better. Sphinx Claws deal d6 damage while Shifter trait deals d4, so the Sphinx wins out. The only exception is if the effect specifcially says it grants more than the normal ammount of that natural weapon, ala Griallon Arms or Landshark Boots.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Redeemer of Ogar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • My wife's art page:
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 06:07:25 PM »
In an old campaign we had a psionicist (psychic warrior as I recall) doing something similar with a manifest power that gave her 1d12dmg claws. I think she had to put a fair amount into that class level in order to persist them though, something about required manifester levels.

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 06:37:02 PM »
DS are you sure TWF feats apply to Nat weapons,  if they did it just seems like it would take all the hype out of the rapid strike feats.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 07:03:44 PM »
DS are you sure TWF feats apply to Nat weapons,  if they did it just seems like it would take all the hype out of the rapid strike feats.

TWFing does not apply to natural weapons. Trust me, Eisin would have had it if they did. Rapidstrike is the only one that does.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 11:16:11 PM »
Well that puts both the wolfy builds low on attack power now.  One more question, can you power attack with your secondary natural attack if you can apply your full strength mod to it, due to the ability of bloodclaw master?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 11:31:11 PM »
Well that puts both the wolfy builds low on attack power now.  One more question, can you power attack with your secondary natural attack if you can apply your full strength mod to it, due to the ability of bloodclaw master?

Yes. You can PA with all of your Natural Weapons. They are an exception to the rules of Light Weapons in this respect.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 11:40:20 PM »
that's good then my wolverine build has a respectable dmg output then.

edit:switched intial build to Elan for rapid strike.  Does it give a -2 to all attack roll?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 11:47:45 PM by Cyrocloud »

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 12:14:43 AM »
edit:switched intial build to Elan for rapid strike.  Does it give a -2 to all attack roll?
I assume you're talking about Rapidstrike? It grants 1 additional claw at a -5, Imp. Rapidstrike is what you want. It lets you get up to 6 claw attacks, each past the initial 2 are at a cumulative -5
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie