Author Topic: Force Damage Gets Past DR Right?  (Read 8835 times)

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
Re: Force Damage Gets Past DR Right?
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 12:22:37 AM »
As much as it sucks to do to someone, the DM needs to be kicked out of the group, he totally deserves it.  Can anyone else in the group DM?
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 12:24:16 AM »
As much as it sucks to do to someone, the DM needs to be kicked out of the group.  Can anyone else in the group DM?
One other guy, but he's retired from DMing. He no longer wants to do it. He was apparently the DM before the current one took over. He's also the one that wants to backhand our current DM every other week. The others don't really seem to have a problem with him in general, and overall he's decent, it's just that sometimes you feel like you're getting bent over.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 12:31:32 AM »
Decent?  He clearly doesn't understand the game's rules.  He clearly doesn't understand that your characters are your characters.  He sounds like a total power-trip munchkin whose only purpose is fun for himself.  Your former DM has the right idea.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 01:11:30 AM »
^That's because the tactics described therein are houseruled out of his games (namely enemies failing their saves and player characters having gold.)
Heck, he houseruled death out of his game too. The perfect fix, every class is even because adventuring is completely pointless. Kill the BBEG and all you do is make him incorporeal.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 01:15:20 AM »
^That's because the tactics described therein are houseruled out of his games (namely enemies failing their saves and player characters having gold.)
Heck, he houseruled death out of his game too. The perfect fix, every class is even because adventuring is completely pointless. Kill the BBEG and all you do is make him incorporeal.
Not completely true. He houseruled coming back to life the normal way out of his game. You can still die if you're below your death threshold, and someone takes one full found to coup-de-grace you, and you fall the Fortitude save based on the damage dealt. However, if someone is able to heal you past your death threshold within 60 seconds (ie one cure spell a round for 10 rounds), then you survive. If, however, you do somehow die, you come back as a Ghost Walker. There's just no resurrection, save a wish spell (ie Dragon Balls).

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 01:26:45 AM »
Sounds like the DM thinks that your bow, by virtue of firing arrows, deals both Piercing and Force damage, in the same way that the Flame Strike spell deals Fire and Divine damage. But that's simply incorrect. Your bow fires beams of force now, not arrows. They deal nothing but Force damage, and, being energy damage, is NOT subject to Damage Reduction. It can only be reduced by Force Resistance/Immunity, in the same way that Cold damage is NOT subject to Damage Reduction and can only be reduced by Cold Resistance/Immunity.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 01:33:45 AM »
Sounds like the DM thinks that your bow, by virtue of firing arrows, deals both Piercing and Force damage, in the same way that the Flame Strike spell deals Fire and Divine damage. But that's simply incorrect. Your bow fires beams of force now, not arrows. They deal nothing but Force damage, and, being energy damage, is NOT subject to Damage Reduction. It can only be reduced by Force Resistance/Immunity, in the same way that Cold damage is NOT subject to Damage Reduction and can only be reduced by Cold Resistance/Immunity.
Which pretty much means I'm safe against everything short of force dragons. :D Although I'm sure we'll see a few of those at some point. But that response actually makes some sense though.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009, 07:10:24 AM »
His DM is exactly as he describes. His opinion of BG is based solely on the response of someone here to the matter of an Aquatic LONGbow being a LONGbow.
Kevin, has your DM ever explained why he thinks the handbooks are retarded? I.e.: a Cleric isn't good for melee, because Righteous Might is a sucky spell, since having reach and extra STR is of no use in combat, since .... (Here I fall short of his kind of logic, but you get the point.)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2009, 12:45:02 PM »
His DM is exactly as he describes. His opinion of BG is based solely on the response of someone here to the matter of an Aquatic LONGbow being a LONGbow.
Kevin, has your DM ever explained why he thinks the handbooks are retarded? I.e.: a Cleric isn't good for melee, because Righteous Might is a sucky spell, since having reach and extra STR is of no use in combat, since .... (Here I fall short of his kind of logic, but you get the point.)
Not overly, no. Just the standard "Well, it's stupid." Then he'll give an example of what he read, and then repeat his original statement that it's stupid. Then he'll chuckle at the stupidity he's remembering, shake his head, and say "no" for whatever reason, and move on.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2009, 08:51:29 PM »
I'm a pretty mild person, but I'll join the crew of those advertising the flaming drill hammer to the rectum.

I mean, wtf???

jamestguy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2009, 05:14:36 PM »
Have you tried talking to him? Just like, "Hey you're kinda making the game not fun with all this haterade." And then he'll be like "What are you gonna do about it ya bitch, I'm's the only game in town!" and then you reply "I'm gonna ask you to remember that we're friends and that the only reason we're playing this crap is to have fun." and hopefully he'll make the speedracer face and you guys can work something out. Also, do your best not to be emotional.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 06:36:40 PM »
Not overly, no. Just the standard "Well, it's stupid." Then he'll give an example of what he read, and then repeat his original statement that it's stupid. Then he'll chuckle at the stupidity he's remembering, shake his head, and say "no" for whatever reason, and move on.
You are far more passient than I... but I honestly think you're doing yourself and your group a disservace by going along with these crappy rule changes... if your character happens to die, after being so nerfed compaired to the party, it will happen, roll up a combat cleric, or something else he doesn't think is viable, and prove him wrong, or beg the former DM to run a pre-written moduel once a month or so, just so the current DM can see how it should be done.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2009, 06:46:35 PM »
if your character happens to die, after being so nerfed compaired to the party, it will happen, roll up a combat cleric, or something else he doesn't think is viable, and prove him wrong
Won't work. If the DM thinks it's not viable, he will make it not viable. People hate being wrong, and this one probably doubly so.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2009, 06:53:07 PM »
if your character happens to die, after being so nerfed compaired to the party, it will happen, roll up a combat cleric, or something else he doesn't think is viable, and prove him wrong
Won't work. If the DM thinks it's not viable, he will make it not viable. People hate being wrong, and this one probably doubly so.
True enough.... you could always make the next character's personality a spoof or parady of the DM
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 10:12:22 PM »
Have you tried talking to him? Just like, "Hey you're kinda making the game not fun with all this haterade." And then he'll be like "What are you gonna do about it ya bitch, I'm's the only game in town!" and then you reply "I'm gonna ask you to remember that we're friends and that the only reason we're playing this crap is to have fun." and hopefully he'll make the speedracer face and you guys can work something out. Also, do your best not to be emotional.
No, but the other player that used to be a DM likes to rub it in his face that he's a cheap bastard (emphasis on cheap -- with gold), and calls him on a lot of stuff, and looks like he wants to slap the DM every other week for inventing physics rules into his world that doesn't make sense. You'd think that multi-armed characters weren't coordinated at all, or that the gravity was 10x that of Earth. At any rate, the DM thrives on that. He doesn't really care what we think aside from maybe all going on strike (but then where would be go?), and even when he's insulted, he just smiles because he knows he's getting to us mentally. As for "friends", I wouldn't go that far. How good of friends are you with your boss at work? Think of it as that kind of relationship.

You are far more passient than I... but I honestly think you're doing yourself and your group a disservace by going along with these crappy rule changes... if your character happens to die, after being so nerfed compaired to the party, it will happen, roll up a combat cleric, or something else he doesn't think is viable, and prove him wrong, or beg the former DM to run a pre-written moduel once a month or so, just so the current DM can see how it should be done.
You mean I'm more of a pacifist? I guess so. A true pacifist wouldn't be talking like this about his DM behind his back though. He'd just go with it, and let the anger well up inside him until he finally snapped, and took everyone with him. :eh
As for a new character being rolled up, you're new to this thread or haven't read it through, or have you? Maybe you missed it. Note: There is no other character to roll up. Unless you yourself die, you're playing that character until the campaign ends. And even then, that character will be used later on for whatever reason (quite possibly a plot device). You can't die. Well, okay, you can. Let me rephrase that. You can not die for good. There is no resurrection spell, but instead there is the ghost walker template (class or otherwise).
The former DM is retired, and has no will or want to do it again after having done it for so many years. He's already passed on his torch. He won't take it back. This DM already knows how it's to be done. He was a player for the previous DM for years. He's just doing it his own way now.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 12:05:55 AM »
I'm a pretty mild person, but I'll join the crew of those advertising the flaming drill hammer to the rectum.

I mean, wtf???
Face = Rectum? And I say yes, but only if we set the hammer's flames no fire. Pyrokineticist levelv will help.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2009, 12:17:28 AM »
Face = Rectum?
Apparently in Canada...  :p
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 12:27:34 AM »

I mean, wtf???

Drills? DRILLS!? Ha. Haha. Hahahahaha! *cough*Drills*cough*
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:35:18 AM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 12:53:36 AM »

I mean, wtf???
Drills? DRILLS!? Ha. Haha. Hahahahaha! *cough*Drills*cough*
If you really need help with this asshole, pray to Thor!

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 03:06:47 AM »
Seize the reigns of power, comrade, and build for yourself a better world. Let the revolution commence, so that power may be redisturbuted to the people! No person should have to put up with unfair treatment, for we all deserve more.

I suggest you DM. You seem fairly intelligent.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:16:04 AM by Solo »

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.