Author Topic: CO Diary: The Simple Life of a Totemist  (Read 4842 times)

Smudgy

• Curious George
Re: CO Diary: The Simple Life of a Totemist
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
I've been helping him optimize, because he's not THAT well versed in ToB.  But he doesn't see the merit of some maneuvers over others.  He thought Strike of Perfect Clarity was better than Time Stands Still.

Mostly he just doesn't like me pouncing.  Well, tough for him, right?

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 03:49:53 PM »
He knows he can pounce too, right? (well, not until 9th level, but anyway.....)

Good luck smacking on your next session  ;)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 03:50:30 PM »
I've been helping him optimize, because he's not THAT well versed in ToB.  But he doesn't see the merit of some maneuvers over others.  He thought Strike of Perfect Clarity was better than Time Stands Still.

Mostly he just doesn't like me pouncing.  Well, tough for him, right?
I don't think anyone likes you pouncing. Especially not on them!

[spoiler][/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 03:51:35 PM »
And he can always dip Barbarian :)

Looking forward to the next entry of your diary :D
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 04:13:34 PM »
Technically, he can pounce at first level with sudden leap.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 06:00:52 PM »
SESSION TWO

Note: This session wasn't that long, it's just the remainder of what the DM had ready last session that we didn't finish.  Also, the Cleric wasn't there, so we made him an NPC.

So, having finished off the Greater Barghest & Pals, with nobody injured in any serious way, we decide to press on and find that damn treasure the old man mentioned.  Luckily, we don't have to look far.

Finders, keepers bitches!!![spoiler]
We discover that behind the dead wolves lie beautiful piles of gold, just waiting to be taken.  The Wizard wonders why there are piles of gold lying in this room, not even hidden or trapped.  So he casts Detect Magic and finds that an aura of illusion surrounding the gold.  We all start fondling the gold to make our will saves... I think you can obviously tell what happens.

Everyone but Grak passes, and Grak starts to wonder why everyone stopped shoveling gold into their back packs.  They inform him that the gold piles are actually just piles of rocks.  But...But...They're so real!  Grak fails his Will save again, even with the +4 bonus, and still honestly believes it's gold.  The Orc just chuckles at those idiots as he hefts fifty pounds of rocks and continues onwards.[/spoiler]

We give the place a search, but nothing is found.  We've been into all of the rooms, so we assume we missed something somewhere.  We head back to the cavern where the frozen man was and use a pint of oil to melt away all the cracks and blemishes on the ice.  After some spot checks we see a tunnel leading downwards at the bottom of the pool.

Now, we don't really have any way to get through the ice (I forgot about the Phoenix Belt soulmeld).  So the Warblade and the Cleric go back to the town to acquire some ice picks.  I hole up near the entrance and keep a fire going so they can find us again.

They return, and after ten hours of chipping away an entire pond of ice, we go through the tunnel.  The passage opens up into another room with curtains on the walls and a large, ornate chest seated at the back.  We don't have anyone who can open locks, so the Warblade decides to hit it with his spiked chain until it breaks (from ten feet away so traps don't kill him).  But this'un 'ere ain't nah ord'nary trap, yah see?

"It's a TRAP!"[spoiler]
The Warblade strikes the chest for damage, but fails a Reflex save the DM tells him to roll.  A heavy pseudopod protruding from the chest starts flailing around.  A Mimic!

Did I expect this?  Kind of.  Did I feel like saying anything?  Not really.  Besides, how the hell would Grak know what it was?  Oh well, into combat we go.

The Wizard, going first as he always does, doesn't do anything important as I recall.  What matters is that Grak rages and charges this excuse for a storage compartment.  Grak starts wailing on him with his claw attacks.  He fails one of his Reflex saves, so he's stuck to the Mimic.  Thankfully I have an Anklet of Translocation, so there's no problems there.

Not like any of that matters, because after 3 claw attacks Grak's now standing over what used to be the Mimic.  The Warblade isn't happy about how I kill things in one charge.  Well, nothing I can do about that, I'm not making my character weaker to meet his level, though I can help him optimize if he accepts it.  Anyways, nothing is found on the body (odd), and the treasure remains undiscovered.[/spoiler]

A quick search of the room reveals a passage behind the curtains lining the room.  The party continues with Grak leading the way.  We come upon a small room with a sarcophagus at the back, trunks of gold scattered around, and skeletons positioned in the corners.  Can anyone say Mummy?  Because Grak can't, he doesn't even know what diplomacy means.

Well......Shit.[spoiler]
We each pair up with a skeleton and crush them, because we don't really trust anything in this place anymore.  That done, we gather around the sarcophagus and decide who's going to open it.  We choose the cleric, because he has the highest AC.  Grak stands at the back of the room, ready to pounce on the giant wad of smelly tissue paper.  Ready......Set......

Fail Will save!

The mummy emerges, and the Cleric and Grak are paralyzed by fear.  For three goddamn rounds.  Luckily, the mummy's closer to the Cleric, so it attacks him.  While the party deals with the mummy, Grak reflects on why he can't have a higher Will save right now.

So, the Cleric passes his Fort save to not have his shit ruined.  The Warblade tries to trip the mummy, but can't overcome his massive strength.  Thank goodness we have a Wizard.  The Wizard casts Unluck on the mummy, and it amazingly fails its Will save.  Score!!

The Warblade trips the Mummy, and then the Wizard hits the Mummy with a Ray of Clumsiness.  The Mummy flounders around, but can't really do much anymore, and it falls to the Warblade's spiked chain.  At least I'm fine.[/spoiler]

We take Search checks, and I rolled another 20.  The others gather up the gold as I trigger something around the coffin.  It lowers into the floor, and reveals another, smaller room with even more treasure.  It's a good thing I have so many ranks in Search...

With the treasure found, the undead bandit king defeated, and everyone alive, we head back to town to await further plot hooks.

THINGS THAT WORKED: I never took a single point of damage.  This was partly because of lucky rolls, but the Wormtail Belt was helpful for raising AC easily.  At low levels Natural AC is hard to get without stuff like Alter Self.

THINGS THAT NEED WORK: I can't say enough about my Will save, it's just garbage.  The CE wizard could easily Color Spray me into submission, then crack my head open with a pick, even if it takes a few tries with my High Fort save and bunches of HP.  With this gold I'm going to get a Ring of the Diamond Mind to get the Moment of the Perfect Mind maneuver.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 01:50:28 AM »
And there you have the reason I always take Cerulean Will, then retrain it out later (when I don't suck at passing Will saves).

Or Elder Evil devotion for free immunity to Mind Affecting abilities and a +1/2 CL to one Will save or Wis check/day.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 05:31:40 PM »
You could go for Steadfast Determination. Your con is probably ridiculous, why not add it to your will save?