Author Topic: Out of Character Chatter for the Game Threads  (Read 32089 times)

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Out of Character Chatter for the Game Threads
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2009, 02:04:53 PM »
If you want to build a mild taser out of wires and batteries, I'm okay with that. If you want build a shotgun out of the same, that probably won't happen.

Macguyver needs Bubblegum and string to do that. :P
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 02:06:40 PM »
I just wanted to say to everyone, that this game is going fucking awesome, I'm having a blast with the roleplay and all that.  By far, one of the best games I've played in for a while.
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 02:24:48 PM »
If you want to build a mild taser out of wires and batteries, I'm okay with that. If you want build a shotgun out of the same, that probably won't happen.

Macguyver needs Bubblegum and string to do that. :P
The taser or the shotgun?

I just wanted to say to everyone, that this game is going fucking awesome, I'm having a blast with the roleplay and all that.  By far, one of the best games I've played in for a while.
+ fucking 1 :D
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2009, 02:35:16 PM »
@ Generic:  Heh, I love that avatar.  I have a tattoo of it ( I had the tattoo first, and found the avatar, not the other way around ) on my leg.  Here's the sketch of it my artist drew.  If any of you get this, I will fucking kill you.  Original artwork is Original.

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2009, 02:49:24 PM »
The shotgun. The taser only needs wires and batteries.

I swear, MacGuyver uses so much string...

I'm enjoying this game as well. It's hard to just ignore the visuals and focus on the stuff that is there, but AC doesn't describe. But then, it's rewarding. In D&D, you rarely get to play seriously crippled PCs.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2009, 03:28:53 PM »
MacGuyver: Singlehandedly keeping the string industry from going under. :P

I'll work on giving more auditory and scent related sensations for Guy. It's a fun challenge. Hard to give sound related cues from a vamp, who's supposed to be very silent, though. ;)  I'll work on it. :)
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Shewolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2009, 03:32:32 PM »
Yeah, I did what I could to describe the feel and texture of the charm I made for Guy rather than describing its color.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2009, 03:34:42 PM »
I noticed that. I'm just sort of going a long with ACs descriptions and making inferences to help him out a bit. We don't need an extra paragraph about how something feels. Just... A line about the smell of kerosene in the hangar or something.

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2009, 03:41:57 PM »
I like that idea.  I think it'd give a better atmosphere for all of us, honestly.  How many times in D&D did your DM tell you how the dank dungeon you were in smelled, or how something felt when you touched it?

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2009, 03:53:44 PM »
Much thanks to AC for telling me how Top Secret the 13th guard is, and that we probably shouldn't go around being all "Hey i work for these guys that no one knows exist, wanna let me through your security and such Mr Police Officer?"

Edited my game post accordingly.

Shewolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2009, 03:55:40 PM »
haha, I would not have known it needed editing till you wrote that.

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2009, 03:57:51 PM »
Yeah, I was sitting here thinking about; well, this is one of those moments when you wanna rewind the conversation, but thats alot easier when its people around a table.  A bit harder to do over the internet, especially in PbP, as communication isn't quite as easy.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2009, 04:03:47 PM »
Yeah, that was my bad.

Just to make it clear - The 13th Guard is a TOP secret organization. Local government doesn't know about it. You're unclear as to whether national level government knows or not, but most probably don't. You're not authorized to know where their funding comes from (it could be funded by the Atlanteans or a drug trade for all you know).

You do know the stated goals, which are to achieve a world safe for normal and paranormal entities, preferably with as little bloodshed as possible (i.e. don't make the world safe by wiping out vamps). And in some way you should have some of those goals be your own for some reason (Vinom's character wants to make metas people again, that's a good reasoning, for example).

Protocol, since you are supposed to be covert, isn't as thorough a manual as a secret government might have, they're more like 'guidelines.' Just don't get caught, don't incriminate yourself, and work as a team towards the goal. That kind of stuff.

Parkham, Parkham, & Johnson is a world renowned Private Investigation firm specializing in the paranormal. They're well known enough that I need to add them to the setting thread soon. For your purposes, they aren't always given a lot of clearance, but most cops who know about their rep are willing to help since PP&J never takes credit for police work, they're the 'anonymous tip' type.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2009, 05:23:31 PM »
You do not suffer penalties for lack of tools in most situations. Think MacGuyver.

If a need arises to escape a trap or perform some deed that no one else is qualified for or has the tool to do, you might be able to do so.  It's a repair check to create something.  Creativity is encouraged, but seeing as I have final say, there won't be any gamebreaking creations like lasers. If you want to build a mild taser out of wires and batteries, I'm okay with that. If you want build a shotgun out of the same, that probably won't happen.

So basically.
1. A need arises.
2. You state what you want to make to fix the need.
3. I say yay or nay.
4. You roll.

But if, say, i'm in a long boring plane trip, and sleeping during it would be bad for jetlag, and I wanted to build something in that time, how could I get that done, since I have hours of time to work and tinker....
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2009, 05:39:07 PM »
Sleeping during a plane ride is never bad for jet lag, in my experience.

I've always found that flying back to europe, the lag is harder to get over if I didn't sleep on the way there. It's why I try to book early (4.30) flights.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2009, 05:45:17 PM »
Again, that depends on what it is. If you want to build a taser out of some wires and a battery, I'm okay with that. Make the repair roll. If you want to build a small AM radio, sure. If it's not some small tinkering device, let me know and I'll say yay or nay. If it's something for a future need, that need has to arrive first more often than not.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2009, 05:46:36 PM »
Build a remote control plane with a camera on it. Those things rock.

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2009, 05:50:51 PM »
Or, you know, a two way radio, like i mentioned.  Maybe water-proof.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2009, 05:56:46 PM »
I want to build a radio scanner, something that detects and allows me to listen to a wide band of radio chatter, from the local talk shows to what being said into CB, Ham, or 2-way radios...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2009, 06:06:33 PM »
That'll be tough, because FM radio stations are on one frequency, AM radio is on another, and most handheld radios are on another, depending on their make...

Its possible, but...