Author Topic: How can I make a decent character out of a Reforged?  (Read 3078 times)

Rhig

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
How can I make a decent character out of a Reforged?
« on: July 03, 2009, 10:25:33 AM »
Hello. I'm planning a big campaign that I'll DM, and one of the main NPCs there will be a warforged with the Reforged PrC from RoE. Problem is, that PrC is pretty hard to optimize. I was thinking of creating a bard, but I seriously doubt that he'll turn out as an even remotely optimized character this way.
I really need help deciding what classes to give this NPC other than Reforged. Since I can't give you a build due to a lack of ideas, I'll try telling you what kind of character I have in mind:
This character will be the first warforged to ever be created in my campaign. He was created by an evil ultra-powerful wizard in order to trap a fiendish efreet inside of him. Once the wizard found out that trapping the efreet didn't give him what he tried to accomplish, he wanted to destroy the warforged, but he escaped. The exiled warforged then created 10 other warforged and taught them how to create warforged themselves. Eventually, a lot of warforged were created, but the evil wizard then destroyed all the warforged that knew the secret of creating other warforged, except for the first who still had the efreet inside of him.
This warforged can sometimes be controlled by the fiendish efreet, if he fails a will save.
Since the purpose of his creation was solely as a cell to hold the efreet, the warforged decided that he should give his life meaning, and became a reforged.

If there's a PrC that deals with inner demons or with maintaining a peace of mind, I'd like that for this character. Problem is, I don't know any such PrC.
Material from any 3.5 edition book is allowed in this campaign.
Please, this character is very important for my campaign and I want it to be the most optimized it can be. I need your help.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: How can I make a decent character out of a Reforged?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »
Some of the Quori based PrCs from Races/Magic of Eberron might work for you. Just change the flavour from psionic to whatever suits you.

edit: the Quori Mindhunter from Magic of Eberron - lures a quori inside of him and uses its power for his own
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 02:32:15 PM by Surreal »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Rhig

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: How can I make a decent character out of a Reforged?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 03:39:02 PM »
Hmm, that's a pretty nifty idea. The evil wizard is also responsible for making nightmares a reality (in my campaign, every aberration is actually a nightmare given life by this specific evil wizard), so it makes sense that this warforged will devote itself to fighting the Quori. I can also make him the first Quori Mindhunter, since the first of them had to get the spirit trapped inside of him by other means.