Author Topic: So, what's the new Spiked Chain?  (Read 2380 times)

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
So, what's the new Spiked Chain?
« on: May 31, 2008, 03:55:44 AM »
While I don't think a specific weapon is clearly better than the others like in 3.x, I do like some of them more than others. My current favorite is the Glaive. Counts as both a Heavy Blade, and Polearm, with Reach on top of all that. It's nice because you can use it with both Heavy Blade Opportunist and Polearm Gamble to get an At-Will opportunity attack whenever someone approaches you. Excellent Synergy with the level 29 daily power Force the Battle.

Yes, I also posted this on the WotC 4e CharOp boards, because they talk more >_>.

EntropicShadow

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Doth thou desire power?
Re: So, what's the new Spiked Chain?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 04:26:45 AM »
While I don't think it is the hands-down best weapon, I like the katar.  Its accurate, high-crit, and can be used for a pact blade.  While the proficiency bonus doesn't help warlock spells, I have seen nothing that implies the high crit property wouldn't, except for the fact it doesn't make a whole lot of sense ("My weapon is so sharp my spells do more damage"?).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 04:36:11 AM by EntropicShadow »
'Cause I'm a bit part demon, a small-time misfit
I say you'll be "Dead by Dawn" but I don't really mean it.
I'm a threat to no one. The other deadites make fun...
You suck!
Of me, Evil Eddy,the bit part demon

AlienFromBeyond

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 04:52:47 AM »
Well, you could argue that High Crit states it only works when you crit with it (it being the weapon that has High Crit), so doesn't work when you crit with a power that doesn't have Weapon. Yeah, I know it becomes an Implement, but that just lets you add the Enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls with power channeled through it, and let's the magic crit work on the power as well, but nothing else gets to tag along unless the magic item says so, like in the case of the Holy Avenger.

EntropicShadow

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Doth thou desire power?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 04:56:54 AM »
Ah, hadn't noticed the difference between the holy avenger and pact blade text.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think you should get high crit spells. 

Still think its a great choice for a warlock who actually plans on using a melee weapon, however.  And for rogues.
'Cause I'm a bit part demon, a small-time misfit
I say you'll be "Dead by Dawn" but I don't really mean it.
I'm a threat to no one. The other deadites make fun...
You suck!
Of me, Evil Eddy,the bit part demon

AlienFromBeyond

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 05:05:30 AM »
Ah, hadn't noticed the difference between the holy avenger and pact blade text.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think you should get high crit spells. 

Still think its a great choice for a warlock who actually plans on using a melee weapon, however.  And for rogues.
My only complaint is that you can't use it with the Daggermaster paragon path, or they would be totally awesome. For a feat, not too sure myself.

For TWF Rangers, nothing beats the Scimitar IMO. High Crit, decent damage, and it's a Heavy Blade, which means Heavy Blade Opportunist + Two-Weapon Flurry in Epic for 4 attacks on an enemy if they provoke an attack.

If you have a Warlord in the party, Str oriented types should keep a +1 or better Handaxe or Throwing Hammer with the Quick Draw feat to take advantage of the many thing Warlords can do.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 05:28:31 AM »
Hmmm... I kinda like the Bastard Sword, myself. Levels with the Greatsword and is Versatile on top of that, which really helps the little guys.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!