Author Topic: Need Help With Getting a Critical Against Those Who Are Immune  (Read 3858 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
So, Ghost Walkers. What do you know about them? I know very little. I know that they were brought about in 3.0, but never got an official 3.5 update, but some people came together to make one that was more than adequate. Is it also a creature template that you can buy? Like for instance you become an Outsider type? I'm trying to figure out what the hell my DM's doing. See there's no such thing as resurrection in his campaigns. Well, short of using a wish ala using the seven dragon balls. Or so we all joke about behind his back. Anyways, if you die, you don't get to roll up a new character. No. You come back as a Ghost Walker. If you're not a magic user, it's not all that bad. Just not likely what you'd want to take as something off the top of your head.

Anyways, we came across our second Ghost Walker of the campaign (I'm told by the others that this is regular occurance with our DM... aka it is FACT that everyone who we kill WILL come back for revenge as a Ghost Walker). I've got a force bow now so I'm not worried about it's ability to go incorporeal (which only happens when they take off their ring because they're no longer native to this plane). However, I did find out I can not critical them. Now, this sucks for me because my DEX is way higher than my STR (22 vs 12), and I use the bonus feat that allows me to swap them for dealing damage so long as they can be critted. How can I get around this? I want to be able to do a lot of damage against these guys. Especially since we'll be dealing with these guys on a regular basis from this point on. Any ideas?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Need Help With Getting a Critical Against Those Who Are Immune
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 11:09:31 PM »
Oh god every time I read one of your threads I wonder who would do such shitty shit, and then I see your username and I'm like "aHA!"

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 11:10:31 PM »
Oh god every time I read one of your threads I wonder who would do such shitty shit, and then I see your username and I'm like "aHA!"
Yeah, my life's always full of joys such as this. :(

Ronin

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 11:51:18 PM »
Yeah, my life's always full of joys such as this. :(
you should really find your self a new game/dm ...  :blush im not sure but does swift hunter let you crit undeads since you can skirmish them ?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 11:53:05 PM by Ronin »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 11:55:14 PM »
you should really find your self a new game/dm ...  :blush[/quote]
Every thread I make I get told the same thing, and every time I answer it's with the same reply: There is no new game/dm. This is it. Take it or leave it. And if you leave it, you might as well give us gaming altogether because unless you move to a bigger city, or develop multiple personalities, you're not going to game again. Anyone else that did game, gave it up for MMOs.

Moving on, can only offer a solution that'll make it so my character's able to do what I need it to do?

NecroticBanana

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 02:54:34 AM »
I'm assuming you cannot crit them because of there creature type i.e. undead? if so there is an item in the Magic Item Compendium. It is an enchantment (Ghost Strike i belive) that you slap on to your weapon, it allows you to crit undead normally. unfortunatly its limited to melee weapons.
You magnificent Bastard

Jesus saves...Allah protects...and Cthulhu thinks you'd make a great sandwich

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

No man should outlive his fictitious wizard -Homer Simpson

Any legal defense starting by: ''I was drunk'' is bound to fail.-Alastar

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 03:05:27 AM »
I'm assuming you cannot crit them because of there creature type i.e. undead? if so there is an item in the Magic Item Compendium. It is an enchantment (Ghost Strike i belive) that you slap on to your weapon, it allows you to crit undead normally. unfortunatly its limited to melee weapons.
If you're talking about the greater crystal of true death, it's not only limited to melee weapons, but also it has to be a true +3 weapon or higher. It can't be a +1 ghost touch transmuting longsword. It has to be a +3 longsword.
I'm not sure why I can't crit exactly, but I'm sure it's because they're undead. But the DM called them an outsider too. So maybe an undead outsider?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 05:10:40 AM »
If you're talking about the greater crystal of true death, it's not only limited to melee weapons, but also it has to be a true +3 weapon or higher. It can't be a +1 ghost touch transmuting longsword. It has to be a +3 longsword.
I'm not sure why I can't crit exactly, but I'm sure it's because they're undead. But the DM called them an outsider too. So maybe an undead outsider?

Greater Magic Weapon takes care of that problem nicely.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 06:25:41 AM »

I'm eagerly anticipating your gasps of disapproval if Kevin tells you what's the matter with GMW.  :D

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 09:15:48 AM »

I'm eagerly anticipating your gasps of disapproval if Kevin tells you what's the matter with GMW.  :D
Oh, there's no problem with it short of it not exactly existing because no one bloody well has it.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 12:07:28 PM »

Oh, there's no problem with it short of it not exactly existing because no one bloody well has it.
:nonono

Ok from how this reads your DM does a lot of stuff to screw your group. A few general questions that can help us figure out how to approach this. Does you DM go by the rules? RAW, RAI, or Rules as he thinks they should be?  How do they handle things in the group, kinda vague but telling us how he works will help us figure out how to adapt to what he will do next.

I've had to deal with a lot of DM issues before, mostly them handing us the world then quit running because they can't handle how powerful we are. So this is familiar territory to me as i've also had many  DM that would just make stuff up to keep us on those train tracks.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 10:08:27 PM »
:nonono

Ok from how this reads your DM does a lot of stuff to screw your group. A few general questions that can help us figure out how to approach this. Does you DM go by the rules? RAW, RAI, or Rules as he thinks they should be?  How do they handle things in the group, kinda vague but telling us how he works will help us figure out how to adapt to what he will do next.

I've had to deal with a lot of DM issues before, mostly them handing us the world then quit running because they can't handle how powerful we are. So this is familiar territory to me as i've also had many  DM that would just make stuff up to keep us on those train tracks.
lol Oh, I don't know. You sure you want to try and get to know this guy? If you remember my thread of 1001 Worst DMs to DM a Game, http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4310.msg140194#msg140194 , then six posts down you'll see my current DM, and what DM's I've had to deal with in the past. Of course I'm no angel either so I made sure to put myself down as well. That'll give you some help on figuring him out.

The DM does not by all the rules. Before we start each campaign, he gives us around 10-12 pages of re-written rules (ie house rules) for things he believes are broken, or will give you too much of an advantage in his campaign. Short of that, he uses all rules as they are written ("Reading between the lines can cause you to go blind"). What do you mean by "how do they handle things in the group"? Like, how do we deal with the rules, and what he does? We adapt. Granted we're not always happy, and we call him on a LOT of things, and at one point we thought one player was going to get up and smack him for some of his badly thought out reasonings for why things happen the way they do. ie How a plot point makes it a valid reason to have characters that aren't there (ie players who can't show up) have something bad happen to them (short of death...usually). Everything comes back to life after you kill it, but as a Ghost Walker; Resurrection is broken. His Dungeon Magazines and free downloadable adventures are his best friends.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 10:30:54 PM »
The DM does not by all the rules. Before we start each campaign, he gives us around 10-12 pages of re-written rules (ie house rules) for things he believes are broken, or will give you too much of an advantage in his campaign. Short of that, he uses all rules as they are written ("Reading between the lines can cause you to go blind"). What do you mean by "how do they handle things in the group"? Like, how do we deal with the rules, and what he does? We adapt. Granted we're not always happy, and we call him on a LOT of things, and at one point we thought one player was going to get up and smack him for some of his badly thought out reasonings for why things happen the way they do. ie How a plot point makes it a valid reason to have characters that aren't there (ie players who can't show up) have something bad happen to them (short of death...usually). Everything comes back to life after you kill it, but as a Ghost Walker; Resurrection is broken. His Dungeon Magazines and free downloadable adventures are his best friends.

Please tell me the Ghostwalk options are open to the players and not just his NPCs.

If not, it may be time for a mercy euthanization. AKA a late abortion.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 10:42:59 PM »
Please tell me the Ghostwalk options are open to the players and not just his NPCs.

If not, it may be time for a mercy euthanization. AKA a late abortion.
Oh yeah, they're very open to the PCs. With resurrection gone, and the ability to roll up new characters non-existant (you must always play a character that's descended from your previous character in some way, shape, or form). It's annoying though because he's always trying to turn us into Ghost Walkers on a regular basis. Add that to the forced LA's, and the character quickly becomes not yours. So you do whatever's necessary to not die, and to show up at every session so LA's don't apply to you (unless it's a plot point that you've got no hope in saving yourself from).

NecroticBanana

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 02:41:09 AM »
No, the ghost strike i'm talking about is an enchantment, like vorpal or keen. and i belive its a +2 enchantment.
You magnificent Bastard

Jesus saves...Allah protects...and Cthulhu thinks you'd make a great sandwich

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

No man should outlive his fictitious wizard -Homer Simpson

Any legal defense starting by: ''I was drunk'' is bound to fail.-Alastar

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 02:50:01 AM »
No, the ghost strike i'm talking about is an enchantment, like vorpal or keen. and i belive its a +2 enchantment.
Okay, I see what it is. It's Ghost Touch for +1, and then Ghost Strike for +1.