Author Topic: Disguising magic items  (Read 1910 times)

Tetsubo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Disguising magic items
« on: June 28, 2009, 08:06:16 PM »
   How much leeway do you give a caster when constructing a magic item as far as the item's appears is concerned? For example, a wand should always look vaguely wand-shaped in my opinion. But it doesn't necessarily need to be something straight out of Harry Potter either. Would you allow say a large screw driver to be enchanted as a wand? Something that would look perfectly innocent in a rogue's tool kit.

How much 'wiggle' room is there in item creation in your game?

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Disguising magic items
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 09:38:55 PM »
As much as you want.  In almost every case, a wand has a front end, a back end, and a right way to point.  A 'wand' could mecahnically work like a typical wand, but instead be a mechanical box that opened and shot out the spell.  As a GM, changing flavor is OK so long as it fits in the setting.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 11:10:24 PM »
Infinite. I don't care how the players explain their abilities. If other players call them on it that's definitely their perogative.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 01:39:36 PM »
No limit, as long as no function is added and it fits the general campaign theme. If functions were added, they'd best have paid the appropriate costs and the prereqs.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 12:25:32 PM »
Had a player once who created all their wands to look like rubber-band guns in a setting with actual firearms. It was infinitely amusing.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 11:33:02 PM »
So long as it's mechanically the same in the major aspects, I couldn't be bothered to care.   Potions can be bubbles of frothing fluid you drink or scouters you crush as far as I care.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 08:37:47 PM »
Potions can be. . . scouters you crush as far as I care.

I'm totally throwing in a minor villain who does this in the next few sessions.
Shh. My common sense is tingling. . .

Radijs

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »
Its over 9000?

It depends on the flavour of the game for me. The more gritty games I'd prefer it if the players did not make their magic items in to silly things.
A whole "We're doomed" game scenario can quickly lose all the grim and grit when the wizard starts to use a candy cane of minty-flavored fireballs.
What part of Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn don't you understand?