Author Topic: Durable armour enhancement  (Read 3793 times)

Tetsubo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Durable armour enhancement
« on: June 28, 2009, 03:13:28 PM »
    I was looking at Dungeonscape today and reread the Durable armour enhancement. It grants 100% protection from acid and rusting magic. How would this work on a Warforged? I'd let it grant rust protection. Rusting isn't that common and I don't think immunity would be a game breaker. But how would it work for acid? Maybe a resistance of 10?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Durable armour enhancement
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:01:19 PM »
I'd say immunity to acid, otherwise give it 20. If you look at half dragons, they have resistance 10, 20, and then immunity to whatever their breath weapon is. If the enhancement grants 100% protection, then I'd probably give them the complete immunity then. Just depends on how expensive it is. You could probably make this into an item itself, or give it levels so that it grants 10, then 20, then 100%.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:42:35 PM »
Given the AC bonus of the built in armor(comparing that to regular armors you get an idea of the coverage), I'd say it doesn't cover enough of the warforged to give immunity or even Resist 30. Resist 10 should be it.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 07:58:53 PM »
You should also take the price in account, like Kevin_Video said. If you grant them less protection, reduce the cost.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 02:42:46 AM »
Note, the enchantment specifically protects your armor, and only your armor from acid and rust. By that rationale, allowing it to grant any protection at all, you have to raise the cost.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 07:47:59 AM »
Note, the enchantment specifically protects your armor, and only your armor from acid and rust. By that rationale, allowing it to grant any protection at all, you have to raise the cost.
Ah, that changes the the premise, ofcourse.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 12:27:11 PM »
It also opens up that can of worms containing the "but my armor is my skin. So if my armor is protected, aren't I protected?" argument.

And this is why I'm glad my players don't open up dungeonscape. That, and they'd all be clamoring for Acid-breathing enemies to fight.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 02:28:25 PM »
It also opens up that can of worms containing the "but my armor is my skin. So if my armor is protected, aren't I protected?" argument.

And this is why I'm glad my players don't open up dungeonscape. That, and they'd all be clamoring for Acid-breathing enemies to fight.

Well, at least you control the latter issue.

But if the warforged plating is treated as armour sometimes, it should be treated as armour all the time.

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 03:32:30 AM »
Remember, Warforged aren't completely covered by their armor.  Some acid would hit the weird brown parts between.  I'd say don't go full immunity to acid.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
Remember, Warforged aren't completely covered by their armor.  Some acid would hit the weird brown parts between.  I'd say don't go full immunity to acid.

I think that part of the warforged is wood. Which was probably used to keep them from being extremely heavy as they would be if they are made of pure metal.

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 12:59:14 PM »

I think that part of the warforged is wood. Which was probably used to keep them from being extremely heavy as they would be if they are made of pure metal.

I believe they are described as being made of wood, metal and having metallic components, most importantly their armour plating.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 03:01:52 PM »

I believe they are described as being made of wood, metal and having metallic components, most importantly their armour plating.
Yes that is correct. What I am trying to say is that the "weird brown parts" described are likely the wooden components.

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 07:58:56 PM »
I thought it was wood, but I didn't have a book around to confirm it.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 02:38:32 PM »
It's actually chocolate.

But don't tell anyone.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 02:55:08 PM »
It's actually chocolate.

But don't tell anyone.

That would create interesting structural problems to say the least. But it would explain why animals and other carnivorous creatures would attack a warforged even though they are otherwise inedible, as everyone likes chocolate.