Author Topic: Optimization Resource: Trap-Finding  (Read 46565 times)

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Optimization Resource: Trap-Finding
« on: June 28, 2009, 05:47:54 AM »
    Optimization resource: How to get Trap-Finding as an ability

This is intended to serve as a brief list of the various ways to gain trap-finding as an ability.  Since many games require a trap-finder as a role within the party, it seems worthwhile to compile the various sources for the ability so that players can easily choose a class that best suits their other roles within the game.  

To my surprise, there is a class with trap-finding for nearly every character archetype, including arcane caster, divine caster, psionic character, full BAB, and of course high skills characters.  

BASE CLASSES

BASE CLASSES with a similar ability
    • Lurk1st Minds Eye True Thief(See online): Lose Lurk augments, gain trapfinding as long as you are psionically focused, and other rogue-like abilities.
    • Barbarian 3rd Dungeonscape Trapkiller (DS, page eight): Lose trapsense, gain trapfinding. Use survival to find traps, attack rolls to disable.
    • Incarnate 4th Magic of Incarnum (Gains Trapfinding when binding Theft gloves)

PRESTIGE CLASSES
    • Disciple of Dispater 2, ecl 8, Book of Vile Darkness,  metal only
    • Geometer 3, ecl 9, Complete Arcane, Traps based on writing only
    • Hoardstealer 1, ecl 6, Draconomicon
    • Stoneblessed(Dwarf) 3, ecl 5, Races of Stone, stone traps only
    • Stonedeath Assassin 1, ecl 6, Races of Stone
    • Nightsong Infiltrator (C. Adventurer)
    • Silver Key (Dragonmarked, called "ward sense")
    • Temple Raider of Olidammara (C. Divine)

FEATS
    • Shape Soulmeld (Thieves' Gloves) + Open Least Chakra Magic of Incarnum: requires two feats and at least 6th level
    • Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment), feat, Planar Handbook, gain the ability of a chosen doman (pick Kobold, see above)

SPELLS
    • Find Traps (Cleric 2 - still need to take Search cross-class).  Does not provide any ability to disarm traps found.

ITEMS
    • Wand/Eternal Wand of Find Traps (Cleric 2).  Does not provide any ability to disarm traps found.
    • Keeper's Guide (DMC/DR#325) is a ring which gives you Trapfinding and some minor effect
    [/list]
    RACES

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:58:33 AM by Akalsaris »

johnboy069

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
      • Email
    Re: Optimization Resource: Trap-Finding
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 05:32:48 PM »
    I have a quick question: Do most DMs on the boards allow the artificer's ability to qualify as trapfinding? I ask because I have played under both types (they do and the ones that don't). I am wondering what the boards think as I am thinking about making an artificer/trapsmith who is a meleeficer.
    This is johnboy069 and toryn from the wizards boards:)
    \m/ RIP Ronnie James Dio, you will be missed.\m/ :bigeye

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
    • PAO'd my Avatar
    « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 06:21:43 PM »
    I think so, and here's why:
    when 3.0e Oriental Adventures came out, it had a whole bunch of feats at spells renamed, just for flavor.
    Some of them even had the: this counts as feat x or spell y for purposes of qualifying blah blah.
    They've gone the opposite direction, with 4e. Psionics doesn't exist in Eberron anymore ... boo.
    Well, except for the PHB3 stuff just released.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 06:49:57 PM »
    I don't know if most do or don't...I suspect most Char Op DMs would allow it, but the more conservative ones might not.  Though considering that Trapsmith is kind of a step down from Artificer, most DMs should allow it :p

Surreal

• Hong Kong
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 02:53:40 AM »
    I have a listing in my "lists of stuff" page. Feel free to grab anything from there.
    ---
    "The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
    Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
    The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
    Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
    Alternative Class Features
    alternative ways to get class skills

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 04:45:01 AM »
    Thanks Surreal.  I didn't think of looking for this in your lists of stuff, though I did check through the stickied post on Gleemax :P

There's a couple of things I missed that I'll add on.

Amadi

• Email
    « Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 10:34:09 AM »
    You should count Summon Elemental Reserve Feat as trapfinding. :D

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 02:46:23 PM »
    But then I'd have to add in the Bag of Tricks as well :P

Amadi

• Email
    « Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 11:10:38 AM »
    But then I'd have to add in the Bag of Tricks as well :P

And suggestion on the team halfling rogue. :P

"There are no traps here. You can walk freely. Just scout ahead."

Solo

• Organ Grinder
    • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
    « Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 07:14:27 PM »
    Dwarves get sort-of trapfinding if the trap is in stone.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
    • is on extended leave
    « Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 04:22:38 AM »
    Is there a way to avoid wasting actions on search? Like Quick Reconnoiter, only for search.

I think it's possible I'm missing some rule that says you can move at 1/2 speed and still do a search check every round or minute or so at some penalty.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • It can only be attributable to human error.
    « Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 01:38:59 PM »
    Is there a way to avoid wasting actions on search? Like Quick Reconnoiter, only for search.

I think it's possible I'm missing some rule that says you can move at 1/2 speed and still do a search check every round or minute or so at some penalty.

I remember a feat that let races with the detect secret doors ability (like elves) use that ability on traps but I cannot remember where it is for the life of me.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
      • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
    « Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 03:46:19 PM »

I remember a feat that let races with the detect secret doors ability (like elves) use that ability on traps but I cannot remember where it is for the life of me.

That would be Trap Sensitivity (Dungeonscape).
    Essentially, if you're an Elf or have Trap Finding, and have Trap Sense +2, you get a free Search check when within 5' of a mechanical trap. Not a bad feat for a campaign that uses traps often.
    Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    « Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 04:42:55 PM »
    If you are within 5 feat of a trap (and have a racial hit to con) I wager someone is dead already (or you found the trap already).

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
      • Email
    « Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 06:08:45 PM »
    I think it's a cool feat, though 5ft is definitely too close for comfort.  But it will alert you against traps on the other side of a door, or inside a chest or book, for example.  It might even give you a second chance to find something if you were already making a normal search check for the room.  I'd take it in Tome of Horrors style games if I had room for the feat.

ProfessorCirno

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Eye'm the strongest!
    « Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 05:24:58 PM »
    Trapsmith lets you try to disarm traps as they go off, if I recall correctly, so if you don't mind playing dangerously, don't even bother looking for traps - just waltz right ahead and, once the trap is triggered, smack it once with your tools to disarm it as it closes in on you.
    "Can I make it absolutely clear, here, now, that I'm only here because the producers said I had to be. I don't like snow, I hate being cold, I hate outdoor pursuits, I hate the idea that I've got to "push my body to find the limit," I can't stand this stupid clothing that makes this rustling noise when you move all the time, and I hate the zips, and the toggles, and all the pockets, and that and I hate your stupid truck."

"Listen. If we make it, look at it this way: you will be the first person ever to go to the North Pole who didn't want to be there."

carnivore

• Grape ape
    « Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 06:23:31 PM »
    dont forget the Awesome Trapfinding ability of Timber Rogue ... heres his story:

Quote from: Galahad_Knight
    Ballad of Log, The Timberrogue!

Galahad_Knight06-23-03, 10:22 PM
    Most of you will remember the exploits of Log, the Timberrogue from our old boards.

For those who need a refresher I'll give you a briefing before I post his latest exploits.

Our party (Cleric, wizard, paladin, ranger) was about to enter the Return to The Temple of Elemental Evil without a rogue.

We were worried about traps.

Until my Ranger had a brilliant idea: The Timberrogue!

The concept was simple. Cut down a tree a good two or three feet thick. Cut out a five-foot long log from it. Cut hand-holds on the side and cut one end to a point.

Now, take said log and roll it in front of the party down suspect hallways. The log sets off any traps well away from the party. On upward slopes or rough floors you might want to employ a pole to push it with.

When you come to a locked or possibly trapped door you have the burliest party member pick up the lof and give it a good hurl through the door. It should weigh a couple hundred pounds so it'll make short work of the door. Same applies to chests. If you want you could probably pick pockets too...as long you don;t care too much about the victim.

A simple tool, a brilliant plan.

But somehow it has become a member of the party!

We started referring to it as "The Rogue". "The rogue will check for traps in the corridor ahead of us." "The Rogue will unlock the door." etc.

Eventually it got to where my Ranger (who has the 'throw anything' feat) would pick him up and shout "SNEAK ATTACK!" and hurl the errant log towards unsuspecting foes.

At one point our paladin preyed to his god to help him smite an evil cleric. He rolled a 1% so the DM rewarded him by having the log suddenly fly up and smite the cleric on its own. But this broke the log and our party was griefstricken...especially the ranger, cleric and wizard who, not being privy to the prayer, assumed that it was an act of LOG that did that, and not the divine intervention of the paladin's god.

We quickly repaired him, using mending spells and the like. The log had given its life to save us, only to rise again from the proverbial ashes.

The GM was having a blast with it so he ruled that the touch of god made the log a +1 Holy weapon.

Now my Ranger, who now sees himself as a divine deciple of the Log, has the honor of bearing the log into combat. The first round of every combat now begins with my ranger shouting "SNEAK ATTACK!!" Or (depending on my mood or the nature of the targets) "HOLY SMITE!!" and hurling the, now blessed, log into the enemy.

He's getting good at it. Sometimes he can hit two or three people if they're standing close to one another.

Recently we found this creepy evil altar with a creepy multi-sided pillar.

We decided to use the Log to help us deface and purify the altar. So I picked it up and started smashing the pilar. Low and hebold each side contained a (now smashed open) secret compartment "The log found a secret pannel and disarmed the trap" (in other words, the thing was smashed in and the log set the trap off)

We found incense, a prayer bead, a dru and somethng else. Well, we used them and an evil elemental eye dealie appeared over the altar. It inflicted temporary levle loss on a couple party members and paralyzed one. The Paladin, who made his save, took up the Log from my injured Ranger and roared a dedication to his deity as he charged the eye.

He smote the eye with the log and saved the day!
    When it was all over the party rushed to the smoking log and the injured paladin (there was an explosion that threw him against the wall) and we took up our fallen comrade and raised him up and declared "The Log has saved us! In Log we Trust!"

The paladin was too injured to join in the log-hoist but once the excitement died down the cleric patched him up and we asked him what it was like to be that near to the log when he performed his miracle.

Well...that's the latest exploit of The Log...those of you who already share in the glory of the log, feel free to re-post your experiences from the old boards over here. Or bring in new ones.

The Internet Cult of theLog shal not die!

:D

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
    « Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 06:32:08 PM »
    It's better than bad. It's (Lawful) Good!  :lmao
    It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
      • Email
    « Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
    My PCs in the Tomb of Horrors replaced The Log with a canteen of endless orc piss and an adamantine fullblade to carve around obstacles.  Worked surprisingly well :P

Surreal

• Hong Kong
      • Email
    « Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 11:31:34 PM »
    ---
    "The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
    Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
    The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
    Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
    Alternative Class Features
    alternative ways to get class skills