Author Topic: Post yer Post-Apocalyptic stories post  (Read 1948 times)

NecroticBanana

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Post yer Post-Apocalyptic stories post
« on: June 26, 2009, 04:36:12 AM »
ok, there was a lot of post in the title, couldnt help myself. Buddy of mine want to start up a d20 apocalypse game sometime soon, this is my first time playing in this perticular setting. i dont know much about it aside that he was inspired by fallout 3. What kind of experiences and funny stories do you all have in this perticular genre? i'm still lookin for character ideas myself. thinking some kinda doctor type...well more like mad scientist. i wonder how hard it would be to work in some kind of futuristic voodoo doctor...that'd be neat.
You magnificent Bastard

Jesus saves...Allah protects...and Cthulhu thinks you'd make a great sandwich

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

No man should outlive his fictitious wizard -Homer Simpson

Any legal defense starting by: ''I was drunk'' is bound to fail.-Alastar

Hinthas

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Re: Post yer Post-Apocalyptic stories post
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 05:14:09 AM »
Just recently finished Deadlands series book (forgot the name of the author) where the main bad guy of this PA village made his currency in selling off fruit from an enclosed orchard and the fruit of the loins from his female slaves/fruit pickers. The villages that he sold to were heavily sterilized and few other problems. Our main baddie traded for various firearms, tech, and basically anything that wasn't produced by the farm. Additionally, if he thought the peoples he traded with were holding out or wanted an item they had, he wasn't above putting moderately strong sedatives into the fruit he traded with. One of his scout teams would keep a discreet distance and wait for the protagonists to start munching and wait for them to all pass out. Then the fun starts....

Roofies are bad. M'kay, kids?
Doug
I am the thing that goes bump in the night and then I'll go, "F**k, that was my toe!"

Founder of the Rackhirean Social Club. Abusing and Terrifying players for  years and ourselves in the off season.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 05:33:53 PM »
Not long ago, I was running a post-apocalyptic game in D&D 4E.  It was a zombie-apocalypse that one of the PCs (the fighter) had inadvertently started (by smashing the magical macguffin).

It was, unfortunately, not a particularly funny campaign, but had a couple of good lines.

"Well someone got us into this, and he's damn well going to be a part of getting us out of it." *glares at the fighter*

Tema69

• Bi-Curious George
  • Dedicated WW2 GM.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 05:42:36 PM »
Well, I'm looking at starting a Fallout-inspired (never played the game, only read about it) post-apoc game, although with GURPS rules, so I'll be watching this thread! :)

As for previous post-apoc fun, I always like throwing ultra-high tech in the mix, be it aliens, enclave (fallout) -like shadow organizations, etc...

A post-apoc voodoo mad scientist sounds like great fun - be sure to keep us updated. :)
Tema69. 69 marks my affiliation to the ex-youth house on Jagtvej 69 in Copehagen, Denmark, a place where there used to be room for everyone until it was sold.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=997.0
The Self-Proclaimed General Pulp/SteamPunk/Occult/Nazi thread! Drop by.

http://tema69.deviantart.com/
My DeviantArt account. Check by the gallery and drop a comment.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2528.0
Download my "Action Movie Realism" Rules* as well as my WW2 Supplement.
P.E.A.C.H.
* Available as a .pdf!

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 01:21:33 AM »
Noting that this is a genre thread and not a system thread, I'll toss my WoD story into the mix.

Well basically all culture has been stamped out of the world in the post apocalypse brought about by severe nuclear war/fascism. The only free city left anyfrickin'where is Heaven, a city in northern Ohio. So naturally the party sets out from San Francisco to go there.

Zombies ensue.

My character is Jack Daniels (But when he's particularly drunk he speaks with a spanish accent and goes by Jose Cuervo, or with a pirate accent and goes by Captain Morgan). He's an incredibly drunk martial artist failed doctor. He's not bad at medicine, but he can't stay sober long enough to operate (my explanation why he actually is bad at medicine). Probably the only true good guy in the batch, he cares about people (it's even a flaw), and he also enjoys justice.

So being so incredibly drunk, most of his desires are fueled by the bottle. Also he's highly suggestible, because he's drunk all the time.

Anyway, after punching my way through countless zombies, we made it to heaven. Along the way, we did these things:

Killed an entire biker gang with one INCREDIBLY lucky shot from Kanji, Doctor Von Shark's retainer. This led to the following exchange about gay bikers. *Assume southern drawls*

RoyBob: Mad Dog... It's gettin' dark.

Mad Dog: Don't worry RoyBob, it'll be okay.

Roybob: Mad Dog, I know we might not live through this, so I just want to say that... I always loved you.

Mad Dog: What? That's disgusting. I don't wanna be buried next to you!

RoyBob: But Mad Dog! I sewed up your shiv wounds! With love in the stitches!

Mad Dog: God damn... faggots. *dies*

RoyBob: Noooooo! *dies*

Anyway, we eventually go on some more and our females & token asian get kidnapped *lame* and sold into slavery. So we decide to sneak into the compound and bust them out, which we do, albeit with a lot of help. This led to what is referred to as the "Naked Cavalry" where Doctor Von Shark and Damien Markus rolled for penis size, and got a 10, indicating that they have two of the most massive penises ever ever. Doctor Von Shark used his to steer a tank whilst firing two plasma pistols into the crowd.

And THEN we encountered the road warrior of doom, a fifty foot zombie, defeated by tossing gas cans at it and shooting them with plasma. Our token asian NPC, whose kung fu was stronger than mine, was climbing up its back at the time it died, and it fell back onto him, and squish. We tried to save him, but he died. Then we harvested his brain for future use, but THAT plan was ruined later.

So we get to heaven, wherein my character restocks on alcohol and we all muse over what we should do. We decide to leave the goddamn ghetto and go into the inner city. So we join the city guard. No problem, right? Except that they don't allow you to drink on duty. Well brilliant Doctor Von Shark, not only invents a potion that will allow me to be drunk by concentrating on being drunk and then immediately snap out of it, but he also grafts guns onto a freakin' wolf, hardwired directly into its brain, and builds a flying robot out of spare frickin' parts from RC cars. Awesome.

So we go through the training program, and then I encounter a drug deal. Apparently in this town selling drugs gets you 30 years. Moral dilemma. Well, the dealer was selling cocaine cut with rat poison, so I bust his ass right there, but the kid is just 16 and I don't want to put him away for a long time. I find out that buying drugs gets you up to four years, which is minimum 1 year. Not so bad. Still, after a good stern beating, I toss him over a 10 foot brick wall and instruct him not to do it again.

Then while bringing him in, I get a promotion, because of Doctor Von Shark's brilliant robot hacker of doom! Apparently I'm a very good cop.

Last thing that happened: gang warfare busts out. I run over just in time to see another guard toss a pepper spray grenade into the crowd. Six guys run towards me. I ask the dm: Does running toward me count as them attacking? "Sure" he says. I giddily giggle, and start chucking them into a convenient pile. I have an ability to react to any attack by forgoing my defense. If I succeed on a Dex + Brawl roll against the DC of the damage they deal, I can initiate a damaging throw. I pile them up behind me, accidentally kill one, and pile them all into the paddy wagon.

This game is really funny.

jacemachine

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks