Author Topic: Ask a simple question...4e style  (Read 50752 times)

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
Re: Ask a simple question...4e style
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2009, 08:10:22 PM »
A66 The additional healing is called out as "additional," yes? You can't have "additional" something unless you have some of it first. The ally has to spend the HS to gain the additional healing; I think any other X-Word power would work the same way.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:12:47 PM by AlterFrom »
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2009, 08:47:23 PM »
A66 The additional healing is called out as "additional," yes? You can't have "additional" something unless you have some of it first. The ally has to spend the HS to gain the additional healing; I think any other X-Word power would work the same way.

I actually managed to solve this one on my own. I reached the same conclusion you did, but not on that basis (which I find shaky, by the way).

As it turns out, the wording on any X-Word power is "can spend... and regain". Due to the absence of an s at the end of "regain", the structure conditions "regain" to the possibility of spending a healing surge (otherwise we'd have the verb in the present tense rather than the base form, which would break the condition clause).

Foiled by the lack of an S!
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2009, 01:10:52 AM »

I actually managed to solve this one on my own. I reached the same conclusion you did, but not on that basis (which I find shaky, by the way).

As it turns out, the wording on any X-Word power is "can spend... and regain". Due to the absence of an s at the end of "regain", the structure conditions "regain" to the possibility of spending a healing surge (otherwise we'd have the verb in the present tense rather than the base form, which would break the condition clause).

I had a feeling the problem could be solved with a over-analysis of English grammar constructions!  :D
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2009, 06:43:21 AM »

I had a feeling the problem could be solved with a over-analysis of English grammar constructions!  :D

Aye, the hard part was to convince my DM he was right, strangely enough.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Glasscannon

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2009, 03:26:20 PM »
Q 67
When using Footwork Lure, if you can shift 2 squares with Fluttering Leaf Style and/or Mark Of Passage, does "the space you left" refer to "the last space out of which you shifted" or "the space you occupied when you hit"?

M=me, T=target

# # #
# T #
# M # The attack hits.

# # #
# T M
# # # I shift one square.

# # M
# T #
# # # I use Fluttering Leaf Style to shift again, ending my movement adjacent to the target.

# # M
# # T
# # # I slide the target one square into the square I just left. I slide the target one square, so don't mention the November errata.

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #185 on: December 27, 2009, 09:36:11 PM »
A 67

I suspect the intent was for you to slide the target into the square you hit in, as evidenced by the power's "default" resolution with only Shift 1.

However, strictly RAW, a case could be made for sliding the target into any square you left, so long as the slide does not exceed 1 square (per the December errata, which you mentioned being aware of). I hate to say it as an answer, but you probably need to ask your DM about how s/he will rule it.
Siggy

xkcd. It Rocks.

[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #186 on: March 19, 2010, 11:31:10 AM »
Q68: If I have a character that has both a weapon with which I have Weapon Expertise and a Ki Focus implement (note that the Ki Focus is not a weapon), and I attack with a Weapon power while using the Enhancement bonus and property of the Ki Focus, not those of the weapon, do I still benefit from the Weapon Expertise feat?

Thanks,
Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #187 on: March 19, 2010, 12:09:22 PM »
A 68

Unless I'm missing something, you wouldn't be able to use the Ki Focus's enhancements and properties in the first place if it's not a weapon.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2010, 12:17:26 PM »
A 68

Unless I'm missing something, you wouldn't be able to use the Ki Focus's enhancements and properties in the first place if it's not a weapon.
It's kinda what they do...

Anywho, problem solved, just take Versatile Expertise :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »
A 68

It's kinda what they do...
Sorry, I haven't looked that well through my PHB 3 yet. :P If that's what they do, then yes, take Versatile Expertise.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #190 on: April 08, 2010, 04:43:55 PM »
Q69: Is there any way for a spellcaster to use an implement that they can't normally use?
In particular, I'm wondering if there's a way for a Swordmage to use a Staff as an implement.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #191 on: April 08, 2010, 04:49:11 PM »
A 69

Arcane Implement Proficiency, Arcane Power.
But why would you want to use a staff on a Swordmage? Staffs suck ass as weapons.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #192 on: April 08, 2010, 04:58:49 PM »
A 69

Arcane Implement Proficiency, Arcane Power.
But why would you want to use a staff on a Swordmage? Staffs suck ass as weapons.
Just fiddling with some ideas, mostly Staff of Ruin, assuming I can use the Staff as both a Weapon and an Implement at the same time ofcourse...
Can I? I really wouldn't know...

EDIT: And I just noticed Arcane Implement Proficiency won't let me add the Staff's proficiency bonus when used as a weapon.
I guess I can kiss that idea goodbye...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 05:01:33 PM by BowenSilverclaw »

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #193 on: April 08, 2010, 05:21:31 PM »
EDIT: And I just noticed Arcane Implement Proficiency won't let me add the Staff's proficiency bonus when used as a weapon.
That means you don't get its proficiency bonus on Implement powers (every single other ability or feat that lets you use a weapon as an implement has the exact same clause). So the trick works, but it's not worth it IMO.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2010, 06:47:08 AM »
That means you don't get its proficiency bonus on Implement powers (every single other ability or feat that lets you use a weapon as an implement has the exact same clause). So the trick works, but it's not worth it IMO.
But don't you only get a Weapon's proficiency bonus on Weapon powers?

The way I read Arcane Implement Proficiency I thought that if I were to use a Staff as both the weapon and implement with a Swordmage power (those have both the Weapon and Implement keyword most of the time, right? Been AFB for a long while...) I won't get the proficiency bonus on the attack roll.

Sorry for the noobishness :embarrassed

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2010, 10:14:25 AM »
But don't you only get a Weapon's proficiency bonus on Weapon powers?
Exactly, hence why every single ability that lets you use a weapon as an implement reminds you that the proficiency bonus doesn't apply to Implement powers.

The way I read Arcane Implement Proficiency I thought that if I were to use a Staff as both the weapon and implement with a Swordmage power (those have both the Weapon and Implement keyword most of the time, right? Been AFB for a long while...) I won't get the proficiency bonus on the attack roll.

Sorry for the noobishness :embarrassed
Next to no powers have both the Implement and the Weapon keyword, it's usually either one or the other. The only one I can think of that does something similar is Prayer of Two Paths, a Paladin 5 Daily, and that still doesn't have both keywords. Instead, it's a weapon power with a secodary attack that uses an implement. I assume no powers have both keywords precisely because of wonkyness such as what you pointed out.

Glasscannon

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #196 on: April 24, 2010, 11:41:01 AM »
Q 70
Can a distinction be made between "you can add 1 square to the distance of forced movement" and "you can move the target 1 additional square"?
(Yes, this one is also about the Footwork Lure nerf.)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #197 on: June 17, 2010, 09:47:31 PM »
Q71

Does anyone bother with guides on this forum?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #198 on: June 17, 2010, 09:58:06 PM »
A 71

Not really. There's just too little traffic, I think.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2010, 07:12:41 PM »
Q72: What options exist for gaining immunity to the dazed condition?
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]