Author Topic: Ask a simple question...4e style  (Read 50760 times)

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
Re: Ask a simple question...4e style
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2008, 12:49:59 PM »
A42 I asked CustServ and they answered that, yes, the concealment goes both ways.

A43 I would say yes to all of the questions (that have yes as a possible answer !) but I could be too lenient. I haven't seen rules about it ; I was wondering about using Blasts while Levitating too.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

lotofsnow

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2008, 08:34:33 PM »
Q44: Does the warlock's Eldritch Blast (which counts as a basic ranged attack) fulfill the requirement for the Ranger at-will exploit Twin Strike?

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2008, 05:28:55 AM »
A44 This has been debated on the WotC board, but I strongly believe the answer is "no".
Eldritch Blast counts as a basic ranged attack. Just because the usual basic ranged attack is a ranged weapon attack does not imply that Eldritch Blast suddenly becomes a ranged weapon attack...

Eldritch Blast is not a weapon - it can't replace a ranged weapon for the purpose of Twin Strike.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2008, 06:16:18 AM »
Keep in mind, though, that it DOES count for  lot of Warlord powers.
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2008, 08:02:16 PM »
Q45 Do you add half your level to the ability modifier for damage rolls? ie, if you deal 1d8+STR damage at level 4 with a STR of 18, do you deal 1d8+4 or 1d8+6? I figure you do, since your "ability modifier" is calculated as minus 10, one-half, plus half level, but my group's disagreeing and I can't find a page reference.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2008, 08:06:52 PM »
A45 You are wrong, the ability modifier is (x-10)/2. Therefore no half level on damage. Rolls to hit do include half level as noted in page 274.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 01:10:29 AM by Banor »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2008, 10:37:20 PM »
Indeed, the number you are referencing is the modifier for an untrained skill check.  Your ability modifiers only go up when the ability scores themselves increase, not when your level increases.

Slate

« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2008, 01:49:31 AM »
Q46 I was just looking through the 4th ED Monster Manual and I noticed there are no Solo monsters of levels 1, 2, 5, 8, 14, and 21?    That seems, kind of, uh questionable?

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2008, 04:18:40 AM »
R46 : I you really need them, you can upgrade an Elite monster to solo status as per DMG.

ImperiousLeader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2008, 08:05:17 PM »
I should point out that there aren't any low-level elites either, lowest is the lvl 3 ocher jelly. I wonder where we'll get additional templates, I really like the core ones, but would like some more. Will they be in DMG2, or will they move to the MMs?

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2008, 08:15:47 PM »
Hey, along those lines ...

Q 47 : Solo Monster of Level X , and add 1 template to it , what is it's level now ??

Example ---> Beholder is mentioned in the Lich MM entry. The lil' Beholder is easy. What's the "big" Beholder w/ Lich ??
{ ... insert haven't memorized the whole rule-set smiley face ... }

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2008, 05:38:45 PM »

Q 48 : If I ask a question, that nobody has an answer to (including me) ... then ...
Does Pun-Pun still shit in the woods ...  ???
;)

Squirrelloid

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2008, 05:54:50 PM »

Q 48 : If I ask a question, that nobody has an answer to (including me) ... then ...
Does Pun-Pun still shit in the woods ...  ???
;)

Only if he wants to.

Seriously, I'm too busy trying to figure out how the shit in the PHB says it works.  The MM is well beyond my range of inquiry.
The ignorant shall fall to the squirrels. -Chip 4:2

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2008, 06:08:41 PM »
A47:I am in no way the best person to try to answer this, but I can give it a shot.

A template makes a normal monster an elite monster (assuming you start with a normal monster).
An elite monster is "worth" two monsters of the same level.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see *any* level increase.

I figure that applying the template to a solo monster of level X makes a stronger monster of level X.

If you read Elite as adding one "monster's worth", then the Solo with a template would be "worth" 6 monsters of the same level (rather than 5).

If you read Elite as doubling the monster's "worth", then the Solo with a template would be worth 10 monsters of the same level.

I suppose you could eyeball an increase in level by looking at the experience value of the solo monsters that are one or two levels higher.

DemonLord57

• Email
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2008, 06:14:07 PM »
Hey, along those lines ...

Q 47 : Solo Monster of Level X , and add 1 template to it , what is it's level now ??

Example ---> Beholder is mentioned in the Lich MM entry. The lil' Beholder is easy. What's the "big" Beholder w/ Lich ??
{ ... insert haven't memorized the whole rule-set smiley face ... }

I don't think there are any guidelines for it, but you could double the exp they're worth. Then they're ten creatures of exp.

One way of looking at it is:
Normal --> Elite = 2xExp, Elite --> Solo = 2.5xExp, Solo --> ??? = ???xExp.
I think it could be 2, but a strong case could be made for 3 as well, the obvious series being 2, 2.5, 3. The problem is that it becomes increasingly ridiculous, the recursive equation for the number of templates (with elite being 1, solo being 2) being r(n) = r(n-1)*(1.5+.5n), r(0) = 1 and that makes it a bit ridiculous at 15 creatures worth.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 07:14:16 PM by DemonLord57 »

Eepop

• Eep...Eepop...Eepop Ananamus
« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2008, 06:30:31 PM »
But by the same token, the challenge provided by a solo monster with a template applied could very well be equal to 15 monsters worth.  There are currently no guidelines for how challenging a solo with template should be, the only way we are going to know is through practice.  And that amount of research wouldn't be appropriate for a simple question thread.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2008, 04:32:24 PM »
Two threads at once confuses my personality parasite (oh wait, that's soo 3.5 edition, oops).

OK so ...
... multiply by 2, on a solo + template = 10 monsters
guesstimate ?? !!

brislove

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2008, 01:25:48 AM »
the economy of actions comes into play at this point. As does damage output.

at some point it's not increasing the difficulty in the same fashion that additional monsters would because solo+elite templated monster can only do one thing a round, and only does so much damage.

If you took a dragon, and added the elite template to it. I am fairly confident it would lose pretty hard to 5 equal level characters, as they would use dailies to get buffs running, and the dragons damage output would still be unlikely to outrace the parties damage/healing capabilities.

The templates add a certain amount to the monsters, I don't think they are designed to have more then 1 template applied to them, as that would increase their defenses to an unreasonably high level (as per just using a higher level monster).

If you wanted a very challenging encounter adding elite to a solo monster would probably be a reasonable thing to do. I would estimate it would be closer to raising the encounter level then raising the creature count.

If you look at what the elite template adds to the solo template. it's basically just HP, an action point, and some defense buffs. You want to give more uses of encounter powers, but how would you do that? I would probably take one of the solo monsters encounter powers and give it a recharge of 5-6 or 6. or add an extra chance to recharge one of the recharge abilities. (such as a dragons breath weapon that recharges on 5-6 make it 4-5-6).

highbulp

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2008, 02:06:55 AM »
cut for space

The DMG pretty clearly states that you should give monsters more actions per round when bumping them up to elite/solo status. Such as making encounter powers recharge, or giving them immediate actions, or having regular "attacks" actually be two attacks, an so on. That's part of the fun/challenge of upgrading monsters :)

And really, giving monsters action points IS giving them extra actions!

Momar

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2008, 09:40:28 PM »
Q48: Would characters or other critters riding some sort flying contraption, such as an airship or flying carpet, still be affected by the Tarrasque's aura at all? What about a cloud chariot or other conjuration?