Author Topic: Ask a simple question...4e style  (Read 50774 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Ask a simple question...4e style
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2009, 05:09:19 PM »
Ninja bumb, necromancy style!

Q 58

What bonuses apply to the secondary attack (and the damage from it) from All Bets Are Off (Pit Fighter 11 Encounter Attack), exactly? Everything that would also apply to the weapon the primary attack was done with (i.e., proficiency and enhancement bonuses, Weapon Focus...)? Seems odd, since you're pretty much pimp-slapping them, not attacking with your weapon. What about the extra damage from Two-Weapon Fighting, if you attacked with your main weapon?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: July 15, 2009, 06:11:40 AM »
Nevermind, found it :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 06:22:21 AM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #162 on: July 18, 2009, 08:05:06 AM »
Q 60

I remember reading about the interaction between resistance and vulnerability, specifically how resistances to different types react to attacks with more than one keyword and what happens when a creature gains vulnerable X to a damage type it has resistance to, but I can't seem to find the passage. Could alyone point me in its general direction?

Q 61

Alternatively, what happens if a creature with resistance to cold gains vulnerability to cold by being hit by a character with the Lasting Frost feat?

Q 62

What ways are there to break the 1/encounter Action Point limit for a ranger, preferably not tied to a specific source (Violet solitaire and Punisher of the Gods, for example, break the cap only for APs granted by their specific power/feature)? I'm aware of Warmaster, but is there anything which a) comes sooner, or b) does not require a multiclass?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 01:14:49 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2009, 01:08:14 PM »
A 60
According to the errata, resistances to damage that is multi-typed is limited by your smallest value of resistance against all types present. The example given is resist 10 lightning and 5 thunder reducing 15 lightning and thunder damage to 10 damage, being limited by the 5 resist thunder.

A 61
In general, having resistance and vulnerability to the same damage type works as you might expect. Since resistance decreases by X damage adn vulnerability increases by Y damage, you can effectively make a net modifier of X-Y. The only corner case is when the resistance might reduce damage to 0 if applied before vulnerability, which, IIRC, has not been covered in errata. Ask your DM on this one.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #164 on: July 18, 2009, 01:32:40 PM »
Q 62

What ways are there to break the 1/encounter Action Point limit for a ranger, preferably not tied to a specific source (Violet solitaire and Punisher of the Gods, for example, break the cap only for APs granted by their specific power/feature)? I'm aware of Warmaster, but is there anything which a) comes sooner, or b) does not require a multiclass?
A 62 None that I'm aware of.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: July 18, 2009, 01:34:48 PM »
A 61
In general, having resistance and vulnerability to the same damage type works as you might expect. Since resistance decreases by X damage adn vulnerability increases by Y damage, you can effectively make a net modifier of X-Y. The only corner case is when the resistance might reduce damage to 0 if applied before vulnerability, which, IIRC, has not been covered in errata. Ask your DM on this one.

I believe I read somewhere, I think it was the FAQ, that you're suppossed to apply resistance and vulnerability simultaneously, not one before the other.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2009, 07:24:55 AM »
Q63: Can I use the powers from Bloodclaw and Reckless weapons to gain a damage boost with another weapon?

For example, say I'm wielding a Frost Bastard Sword and a Reckless Bastard Sword, does the Reckless ability give me extra damage on all my attacks, or only on those made with the Reckless weapon itself?

Same question for the Bloodclaw ability, does it only work on the Bloodclaw weapon itself, or do I get the bonus damage on all attacks with all weapons?

Thanks,
Bowen

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2009, 08:20:01 AM »
Q63: Can I use the powers from Bloodclaw and Reckless weapons to gain a damage boost with another weapon?

For example, say I'm wielding a Frost Bastard Sword and a Reckless Bastard Sword, does the Reckless ability give me extra damage on all my attacks, or only on those made with the Reckless weapon itself?

Same question for the Bloodclaw ability, does it only work on the Bloodclaw weapon itself, or do I get the bonus damage on all attacks with all weapons?

Thanks,
Bowen
A 63

AFAIK yes. Remember good old Bloodclaw Gauntlets cheese?

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2009, 09:55:39 AM »

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2009, 07:05:15 PM »
Q64:Druids gain trackless step at level 3... is there a quickerway to get this class feature?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2009, 07:36:50 PM »
Q64:Druids gain trackless step at level 3... is there a quickerway to get this class feature?
A 64

I don't think so. And you might want to post this in the corresponding 3e thread. ;)

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2009, 07:39:43 PM »
A 64

I don't think so. And you might want to post this in the corresponding 3e thread. ;)
:lol I thought this was the fourth edition of the question thread... not the fourth edition question thread
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2009, 07:42:08 PM »
A 62 Actually, I think a Human Ranger can use the Adroit Explorer PP.  I'd have to double check that, though.

lotofsnow

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2009, 10:33:55 AM »
Q65: When critting with an attack power through a magic implement, does one roll the critical bonus damage if the power wouldn't normally do damage at all?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:38:53 AM by lotofsnow »

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2009, 01:50:48 PM »
Q65: When critting with an attack power through a magic implement, does one roll the critical bonus damage if the power wouldn't normally do damage at all?
A65 Doubt it, but since there weren't a lot of "no-damage" powers in the first PHB, I wonder if they never thought about it.  It's worth asking WotC directly.

lotofsnow

« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2009, 02:06:26 PM »
A65 Doubt it, but since there weren't a lot of "no-damage" powers in the first PHB, I wonder if they never thought about it.  It's worth asking WotC directly.

Yeah, I'm blind. Right above the Extra Damage entry in the PHB, the text states:

Maximum Damage: Rather than roll damage,
determine the maximum damage you can roll with
your attack. This is your critical damage.

Bolded for emphasis.

Silent Wayfarer

• Email
« Reply #176 on: August 31, 2009, 02:15:03 AM »
Q66: If I hold a staff of ruin in my offhand while I have Dual Implement Spellcaster, do I get the staff's property / bonus damage to my spells?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #177 on: November 17, 2009, 02:04:17 PM »
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!

Q66:

Situation: character is bloodied next to a bullywug. If he spends a healing surge next to the monster, he'll be weakened until the end of his next turn (or save ends, I can't recall). Since 4e states that every character is always aware of what will happen at any given time, he knows this.

A Warlord spends an use of Inspiring Word on his colleague. Now, he knows that spending that healing surge will make him weakened, so he refuses.

The question is: does the additional HP granted by Inspiring Word apply regardless of the HS expenditure, or is it conditional on it? The way I see it, he gets the additional benefit regardless, but the text seems ambiguous enough to allow for either interpretation.

Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #178 on: November 17, 2009, 07:23:11 PM »
Perhaps a custom immediate interrupt is in store, as in
Free Action say "I'm weakened !!"

Your party mates don't Know your condition, but you do, so you tell them before they do the next action.
I'd houserule that a Readied action still happens, unless the Actor ~chokes the action.

I'm sure there are some more semi-fluff statements buried in the various books, that could apply here.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #179 on: November 17, 2009, 07:33:29 PM »

I was more worried about it rules-wise. Fluff in 4e is something you make up, not something that comes with the packaging.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!