Author Topic: Ask a simple question...4e style  (Read 50759 times)

brislove

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: Ask a simple question...4e style
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2008, 06:58:03 AM »
ya cloudkill should be rolling to do damage immediately, and then doing ongoing damage. I don't believe it freely does the damage when you cast it with no attack roll or anything

Mister D

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2008, 01:51:29 PM »
I already posted this question in the 4e forum.

I need a clarification on Wizards preparing spells. It seems to me that people read it to work on a one spell per level prepared. I see no line in the spellbook entry that states that. The other classes get one daily each time so it's not a problem for them. They get the dailies they know and each one they can use once per day. Wizard on the other hand get more choices. But why should they only be able to prepare one daily per level known? For example, if you choose two level 1 dailies at 5th level (for whatever reason. you can choose lower level power if you want.) you would have 4 dailies known and 2 dailies per day, which obviuosly would be 1st level. Why should you be forced to prepare one 1st and one 5th? The only power-per-day table I've seen is the generic one, and doesn't state any "level slot" for daily powers.
So, did I miss something?

brislove

• Email
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2008, 03:40:10 PM »
Q24: Can you trade out paragon path powers when you attain higher level powers?

here's the quote from the rules pg 27.

Encounter attack powers: at 13th, 17th, 23rd and 27th levels you can replace any encounter attack power from your class with one of your new level (or an encounter attack power of a lower level if you choose)

The question is more accurately does your paragon path count as a power from your class? logically you should be able to trade it up, since you have 4 encounter powers that are higher level then your paragon power, but RAW I'm not so certain.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2008, 04:18:49 AM »
Q25: Can you pick up powers from another class if you have the appropriate multiclass feat without using the power-swap feats? As an example: I'm a Warlock with the Wizard multiclass feat at level 1. I level up, thus I can select one more power known. Do I get to pick from the Wizard list? I know this probably sounds stupid, but I can't find clarification in the book.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

brislove

• Email
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2008, 04:25:32 AM »
Q25: Can you pick up powers from another class if you have the appropriate multiclass feat without using the power-swap feats? As an example: I'm a Warlock with the Wizard multiclass feat at level 1. I level up, thus I can select one more power known. Do I get to pick from the Wizard list? I know this probably sounds stupid, but I can't find clarification in the book.

no. The multi-class feat tells you exactly what it gives you. leveling up tells you that you take powers from your class. Multi-class feats do not make that class your class. they allow you to meet prerequisites of paragon paths as if you were a member of that class.

AlienFromBeyond

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2008, 05:04:10 AM »
Q24: Can you trade out paragon path powers when you attain higher level powers?

here's the quote from the rules pg 27.

Encounter attack powers: at 13th, 17th, 23rd and 27th levels you can replace any encounter attack power from your class with one of your new level (or an encounter attack power of a lower level if you choose)

The question is more accurately does your paragon path count as a power from your class? logically you should be able to trade it up, since you have 4 encounter powers that are higher level then your paragon power, but RAW I'm not so certain.
Paragon path powers are not from your class, they are, by definition, from your Paragon path.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2008, 11:45:44 PM »
Q26: From Orb Mastery:
...that has an effect that lasts until the subject succeeds on a saving throw.  That creature takes a penalty to its saving throws against that effect equal to your Wisdom modifier.
  Emphasis mine.

I just want to clarify, but "that effect" is the effect that you are trying to save against yes?  The effect that has a save?

Note the text of the Sleep spell:
The target is slowed (save ends). If the target fails its first saving throw against this power, the target becomes unconscious (save ends).

It does not say that the slow effect ends when the unconscious effect starts.  They do not replace each other.

Doesn't this mean that in order to "force" a long-term unconsciousness with the Sleep spell, that you'd have to save your Orb use until they fail the first save against the slow effect?

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2008, 01:07:12 AM »
Q27: Does a Warlord add his weapon proficiency bonus when using Furious Smash ? The skill does have the "Weapon" descriptor but doesn't deal [W].

AlienFromBeyond

« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2008, 02:33:18 AM »
Q27: Does a Warlord add his weapon proficiency bonus when using Furious Smash ? The skill does have the "Weapon" descriptor but doesn't deal [W].
Since weapon proficiency is only a bonus to hit, yes you do get the bonus when using Furious Smash.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2008, 11:16:20 AM »
Q28: The doomsayer paragon path specifies that enemies within 10 squares of you roll twice for saving throws against fear effects and take the lower of the two rolls. Since I've only found one fear effect that gives a save in all the warlock powers, doesn't this mean that without multiclassing or another party member using the fear effect in question, this ability is rather pointless?

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2008, 11:40:31 AM »
Q28: The doomsayer paragon path specifies that enemies within 10 squares of you roll twice for saving throws against fear effects and take the lower of the two rolls. Since I've only found one fear effect that gives a save in all the warlock powers, doesn't this mean that without multiclassing or another party member using the fear effect in question, this ability is rather pointless?

Depends on your definition of pointless.  This is a really subjective question that can't be answered from a pure rules standpoint.  The ability may have been toned down to account for other powerful abilities in the Paragon Path, the ability may have great uses down the road when the Arcane book hits that we don't know about yet, the ability may have been created entirely with teamwork in mind.  None of these make it a pointless ability, but they do make it provide less personal power right now.

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2008, 11:49:08 AM »
Q29: Really simple question, but I'm not entire clear on it. A Paragon Path provides certain powers to a character, usually at 11, 12 and 20 it seems. PCs also get new powers in the appropriate categories at those levels, but no classes actually provide them. That is, there are no Cleric-12 utility powers, despite the fact that PCs get a utility power at 12. This indicates that you gain the Paragon Path powers from your paragon path at the appropriate level, and there's no choice (except which paragon path you take) about your level 11, 12, and 20 powers. Is this a correct interpretation?

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2008, 12:02:14 PM »
Q29: Really simple question, but I'm not entire clear on it. A Paragon Path provides certain powers to a character, usually at 11, 12 and 20 it seems. PCs also get new powers in the appropriate categories at those levels, but no classes actually provide them. That is, there are no Cleric-12 utility powers, despite the fact that PCs get a utility power at 12. This indicates that you gain the Paragon Path powers from your paragon path at the appropriate level, and there's no choice (except which paragon path you take) about your level 11, 12, and 20 powers. Is this a correct interpretation?

The chart on Page 29 specifies that you gain Paragon Path powers at these levels.  The power is decided by your paragon path, be it a standard path or Paragon multiclassing in which you have a power choice.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2008, 11:12:07 PM »
Q30: Exactly how does the Archmage's level 30 ability work?

Do you replace an encounter spell?  Do you have to prepare the encounter spell as a daily spell?  What of the other daily spell for that slot?

???

Also, no one's tackled Q26 yet...  :(

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2008, 01:25:55 AM »
Q30: Exactly how does the Archmage's level 30 ability work?

Do you replace an encounter spell?  Do you have to prepare the encounter spell as a daily spell?  What of the other daily spell for that slot?

???

Also, no one's tackled Q26 yet...  :(

A30: One daily spell you KNOW becomes an Encounter spell.  You never get the opportunity to change this spell.  You must still prepare it normally from my reading, you just get the ability to cast it differently.  You do not have to prepare it every day.

It seems an equally valid interpretation would be that the spell becomes an 'extra' Encounter power, and does not take up a Daily slot at all.

A26: I'd love to help, but the more I research it the more the book contradicts itself.  In some areas, the book referances a Save against a Power.  In others, it referances Saves against an Effect.  The only time I can find that it referances multiple Effects from one Power is in the case of Aftereffects, which Sleep is the inverse of.  I'm really not sure how to handle this one, seems to be a unique case that isn't directly covered. 

Personally, I'd rule that you are no longer Slowed after the first Save wether you succede or fail.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2008, 01:44:24 PM »
pg 279 seems to indicate you need to save against both...  I had forgotten about it while trotting this out over at the WotC boards...

props to limsup for reminding me!!! :clap
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 01:49:48 PM by Dan2 »

ShaggyShaggs

• He's just this guy, you know?
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2008, 07:04:22 PM »
Q31: Am I correct in thinking that the Swordmaster Attack 20 Daily power Crescendo Sword could be used as an At Will power (recovering itself) as long as you don't miss with it?
"Your STFU N00b roll fails!"
"Crap. Can I make a saving LOL?"

"I think either we have unlimited rights, or we have no rights at all. Personally, I lean toward unlimited rights. I feel, for instance, I have the right to do anything I please; but, if I do something you don't like, I think you have the right to kill me. So where you gonna find a fairer fucking deal than that?" - George Carlin

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2008, 07:09:01 PM »
Q31: Am I correct in thinking that the Swordmaster Attack 20 Daily power Crescendo Sword could be used as an At Will power (recovering itself) as long as you don't miss with it?

Would depend on the timing of when a power is considered 'used.'  A question which is not clarified in the rules.  I'll put in a quick note to CustServ.

*EDIT*  From CustServ:

Quote from: WotC Customer Service
You asked the following question:

1. Can this effect be used to recover Crescendo Sword?

Notice that Crescendo Sword says "a daily power you have already used". Since you are currently USING Crescendo Sword to attack, you have not "already used" it, and thus you cannot recover it!

Please let me know if you need anymore help!

That was my thought, but here is some quasi-official backup.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 09:35:51 PM by heffroncm »

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2008, 11:21:34 PM »
So cust serv knows how to play with the english language and make the distinction between "used" and "using". :o

That is quite a far cry from the cust serv of yesteryear... :P
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2008, 11:24:54 PM »
Why do they feel the need to use exclamation points all the time?  :mad

It's rather annoying, IMO.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]