Author Topic: Ask a simple question...4e style  (Read 50769 times)

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
Re: Ask a simple question...4e style
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 05:31:01 PM »
Q10: How does the 13th level Paladin power Radiant Charge work? You can fly up to your Wisdom mod and attack, but it also requires that you charge the enemy. Question is: you fly then charge or you charge while you fly?

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 12:11:11 AM »
Q10: How does the 13th level Paladin power Radiant Charge work? You can fly up to your Wisdom mod and attack, but it also requires that you charge the enemy. Question is: you fly then charge or you charge while you fly?

I think you make a flying charge.

Also, for the earlier question about containing strike, it is oddly enough, detailed in the MM (page50) as a death knight ability. Weird...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 02:38:59 AM by Runestar »
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

brislove

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 04:27:37 AM »
it seems they removed that power since fighters just get it for free, it's call basic attack. If they have the target marked it is containing struck.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 04:52:21 AM »
Q11: Can you use a Warlock's Eldritch Blast in conjunction with powers that require Ranged weapons to work? The description for Eldritch Blast says it can be considered a basic ranged attack for purposes of interacting with powers, so does that mean it works with, for instance, Twin Strike?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

brislove

• Email
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 05:33:06 AM »
A11: Nope, it's a ranged basic attack not a ranged weapon. as such you wouldn't be able to use it with something like twin strike.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 01:44:18 PM »
Q11B: What's the point of it having that bit of description, then? XD

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 02:01:41 PM »
A11B: For the effect of things like Warlord powers.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 06:02:25 PM »
Do I get it right that close bursts attacks don't provoke attacks of opportunity? Thunderwave!!

Page 271 of the PHB says that area powers provoke opportunity attacks.  It also lists close bursts and blasts as area of effect.

For the record...

Also: Q12: can you avoid making a saving throw by delaying and not taking an action? (pg 288 of PHB)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 06:10:18 PM by Dan2 »

AlienFromBeyond

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 06:05:21 PM »
Do I get it right that close bursts attacks don't provoke attacks of opportunity? Thunderwave!!

Page 271 of the PHB says that area powers provoke opportunity attacks.  It also lists close bursts and blasts as area of effect.

For the record...
Close powers are AoEs, but they are not an Area power. Scorching Burst is an Area power, Ray of Frost is a Ranged power, Thunderwave is a Close power. You need not fear an opportunity attack when using Thunderwave, but you would from Scorching Burst or Ray of Frost.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »

For the record...

Also Q12: can you avoid making a saving throw by delaying an not taking an action? (pg 288 of PHB)
Close powers are AoEs, but they are not an Area power. Scorching Burst is an Area power, Ray of Frost is a Ranged power, Thunderwave is a Close power. You need not fear an opportunity attack when using Thunderwave, but you would from Scorching Burst or Ray of Frost.

Ah, thank you, I somehow missed the column break and the reclassification.

AlienFromBeyond

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 06:19:35 PM »

For the record...

Also: Q12: can you avoid making a saving throw by delaying and not taking an action? (pg 288 of PHB)
You mean Delaying to the point where you lose the Delayed turn and thus never go to the end of turn step? Sure, but all harmful effects are start of turn, I see no reason why the hell you wouldn't want to make saving throws against stuff on you. If I understand your question correctly.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 06:24:21 PM »
Just curious... :wink It's a nice rules clarification for those PCs that Delay out of confusion and forget to jump back in... :smirk

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 09:26:16 PM »
Q13: I'm not entirely sure how Wizard Dailies work. Is it that every time I would choose a daily power I choose two, and the same for utilities, then after every extended rest, I prepare a number of each type equal to the number I know divided by two?
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 09:56:38 PM »
A13: Every time you would choose a Daily Attack Spell (level 5, 9, and so on) you choose two to add to your spellbook.  The same goes for Utility Spells.
Then, when you prepare spells for the day, you would prepare one for each level you know (1 level 5, 1 level 9, and so on).

It says prepare the number that you can cast per day, but it also says that you can't prepare multiples of the same spell.  So basically you prepare one of each level.

Also, when you reach level 15, you replace both of the level 1 Daily Attack Spells that you know with the two level 15 Daily Attack Spells that you want.

Essentially, it just gives wizards some options for versatility each day.
It's an excuse to give the wizard a spellbook, and it's a throwback to Vancian magic.

EDIT: It gets even better if you choose the Expanded Spellbook Feat... :smirk

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 10:05:59 PM »
Heh. So that's pretty limited.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

ImperiousLeader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 12:20:17 AM »
Heh. So that's pretty limited.

Eldritch Blasts should also work with the Bracers of the Perfect Shot, something that archer Rangers can't do.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 12:23:39 AM »
A14) How do reliable exploits which target multiple foes work? The rule states that if I miss, I retain the use of said exploit.

So say I use a fighter reliable exploit which targets 4 enemies. I hit 3 and miss one. Is it considered expended or not?
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2008, 01:19:04 AM »
A14) How do reliable exploits which target multiple foes work? The rule states that if I miss, I retain the use of said exploit.

So say I use a fighter reliable exploit which targets 4 enemies. I hit 3 and miss one. Is it considered expended or not?

A14) It appears to be the case that you do not expend the power if even one enemy is missed.  However, the level 9 Fighter Daily Thicket of Blades is the only power in the book that both targets multiple enemies and is Reliable.  Wait to find the first "broken" power in the book, at least until this is errata'd or clarified in some way.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2008, 07:59:10 AM »
Q15 why is 13 con important?

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2008, 11:42:54 AM »
Q15 why is 13 con important?

Opportunity cost.  It's only going to cost you 3 points on point buy, where 14 costs 5.  Con is still important, it increases your starting HP which in turn increases the amount healed by your surges.  You can also devote 1 point to it at 4 and end the game with a 16 con.