Author Topic: d20 Modern Wealth and D&D v.3.5 Item Levels  (Read 4497 times)

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
d20 Modern Wealth and D&D v.3.5 Item Levels
« on: June 24, 2009, 01:25:36 AM »
So, I had this idea.

I hate equipment minutiae and I don't like handing out piles of gold, silver, and copper coins.

So I decided to try something using the Wealth system from d20 Modern and the Item Level system presented in D&D v.3.5 Magic Item Compendium.

Here's how it works: you want to buy an item of your level, it's a Purchase DC 15. An item above your level increases the Purchase DC by +2 per item level. An item below your level decreases the Purchase DC by -2 per level (min. DC 5). I tend to houserule that items with a value of less than 5 gp are negligible and I let my players have as much as they feel like carrying (within reason).

The Purchase DCs scale with character level. Since Wealth can increase or decrease based on your spending, the number generally falls somewhere between 5-20. I'm trying it out in a couple campaigns to see how it works.

The hard and fast rules are thus:
  • Purchase DC 15+ lose one point of Wealth (stacking)
  • Purchase DC higher than your Wealth bonus lose one point of Wealth (non-stacking)
  • Purchase DC 11-15 higher than your Wealth bonus lose 1d6 points of Wealth (non-stacking)
  • Purchase DC 16+ higher than your Wealth bonus lose 2d6 points of Wealth (non-stacking)
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
Re: d20 Modern Wealth and D&D v.3.5 Item Levels
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 09:32:42 PM »
As I recall, WBL in 3.5 is set up so that you can afford to buy one level-appropriate item at every level, while this system would make items at or above your level rather more accessible, and make items below your level effectively free, since purchase DCs go down every level.  Add in the fact that your wealth bonus presumably goes up with level and you could well have characters who can afford items ten levels beyond them.  It may only be one item, and it may break the bank, but it can also easily break the game.

3.5 tends to rely a bit too much on the Iron Man principle for this to work quite so easily.  It'll probably take rather more polishing to get it usable.

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:16:24 PM »
Well, it's worked well so far.

Whenever someone asks if they can buy something from book X, we compare it to the chart in the Magic Item Compendium and they roll for it. It discourages a certain amount of the annoying "can I buy X item from Y book?" Generally I allow everything on the basic principle that if they break the game with something, it's their own damn fault for breaking the game -- rather than overcompensating by overpowering the creatures, I let them go on a roaring rampage of destruction with whatever broke-ness they've introduced until they get bored.

Cheating requires no skill and provides no challenge. It's ultimately unsatisfying. This is what I try to instill in my players, especially when they actively try to break the game -- I make it as boring as possible for them to cheat until they decide they want to *actually* play again. The novelty usually wears off pretty quickly, otherwise things get out of hand and the group disperses. Such is the way of things.  :smirk

As I was saying, though, the system seems to work so far with mature players, especially those who share my negative sentiment towards equipment minutiae.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 10:18:03 PM by dither »
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 10:02:07 PM »
As I recall, WBL in 3.5 is set up so that you can afford to buy one level-appropriate item at every level, while this system would make items at or above your level rather more accessible, and make items below your level effectively free, since purchase DCs go down every level.  Add in the fact that your wealth bonus presumably goes up with level and you could well have characters who can afford items ten levels beyond them.  It may only be one item, and it may break the bank, but it can also easily break the game.

3.5 tends to rely a bit too much on the Iron Man principle for this to work quite so easily.  It'll probably take rather more polishing to get it usable.
So maybe increase the purchase DC of everything by 4?  One of my biggest complaints with the wealth system is the fact that items with a purchase DC below 15 are essentially free, which tends to be a lot.  Maybe set it to 10 and then you take a hit?  We need to run some tests...

Also this would make proffesion worthwhile.
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"