Author Topic: 4 wands activated in one round as a free action :o  (Read 2938 times)

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
4 wands activated in one round as a free action :o
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »
The Uloriax (here at the bottom) is able to wield 4 wands and activate them as free actions (up to 4 per turn). The only problem is that it has 23 HD. How would I tranform into it before epic levels?

Edit: I'm an artificer by the way.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:50:21 PM by Bastian »

Zombieboots

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Ska-ull
Re: 4 wands activated in one round as a free action :o
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »
The Uloriax (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040509a at bottom) is able to wield 4 wands and activate them as free actions (up to 4 per turn). The only problem is that it has 23 HD. How would I tranform into it before epic levels?

There is a rod that lets you use three wands at once at the cost of extra charges (Complete Mage?). Which is probably far more prefferbale because the Rod and Charges are just GP.
Ah! Maddness. Thank you.[spoiler][/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 04:37:19 PM »
Use shapechange + high caster level at level 17, be a 20th level druid with a few of those wildshape boosters, Abuse bloodlines + wildshape (they stack for determining HD cap of your wildshape).

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 04:41:23 PM »
The Uloriax (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040509a at bottom) is able to wield 4 wands and activate them as free actions (up to 4 per turn). The only problem is that it has 23 HD. How would I tranform into it before epic levels?

There is a rod that lets you use three wands at once at the cost of extra charges (Complete Mage?). Which is probably far more prefferbale because the Rod and Charges are just GP.
I know about the Rod of Wands. However, it requires a full round to activate and costs 3 charges a wand assuming you're activating all three. That's just too expensive even with extreme craftificer cheese.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 04:49:18 PM »
Use shapechange + high caster level at level 17,
Doh! I complete forgot it was dependent on caster level not your HD. Thanks!
be a 20th level druid with a few of those wildshape boosters,
Could you specify the wildshape boosters I don't remember them.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 07:11:53 PM by Bastian »

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
Amulet of Wild Shape, isn't it? +4 to effective Druid level for wild shape.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 05:20:18 PM »

I know about the Rod of Wands. However, it requires a full round to activate and costs 3 charges a wand assuming you're activating all three. That's just too expensive even with extreme craftificer cheese.

The Rod of Many Wands is more effective if you use Wands of Celerity rather than something offensive. Full Round action to get 3 Standard actions is a decent trade, and if you have other wands readied (Blessing of the Girallion+ 3 wands of different spells) you can use those, something the rod won't let you do normally. Alternatively, use a bunch of scrolls or charges from a staff to cast bigger spells.

Granted this dazes you for the next turn, but IIRC the effects don't stack (so you only get dazed for one round). If one of the scrolls is a Time Stop or you use a staff with Time Stop in it, you come out way ahead.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 05:20:52 PM »
Also, you can take levels in Master of Many Forms and Nature's Warrior, which were errata'd to stack for wildshape HD. Then it's just a matter of counting up your effective levels in each class (say Druid X and 4 for each class that you dip one level in (assuming full bloodline)). So a druid of 12th level with 3 bloodline levels and 1 level in Master of Many Forms, and one in nature's warrior could wildshape into something with 23 hit dice or less.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 06:27:54 PM »
Also note that the rod of many wands does not require you to be a spellcaster to use it. :)
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 07:51:31 PM »
Would normal caster level enhancements allow an artificer to increase his caster level for creating an object?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 07:54:21 PM by Bastian »

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 07:58:12 PM »
Use shapechange + high caster level at level 17,
Doh! I complete forgot it was dependent on caster level not your HD. Thanks!

"The assumed form cannot have more than your level in Hit Dice."
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 08:18:33 PM »
Straight from the SRD: Transmutation
Level:    Animal 9, Drd 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Components:    V, S, F
Casting Time:    1 standard action
Range:    Personal
Target:    You
Duration:    10 min./level (D)

This spell functions like polymorph, except that it enables you to assume the form of any single nonunique creature (of any type) from Fine to Colossal size. The assumed form cannot have more than your caster level in Hit Dice (to a maximum of 25 HD). Unlike polymorph, this spell allows incorporeal or gaseous forms to be assumed.

You gain all extraordinary and supernatural abilities (both attacks and qualities) of the assumed form, but you lose your own supernatural abilities. You also gain the type of the new form in place of your own. The new form does not disorient you. Parts of your body or pieces of equipment that are separated from you do not revert to their original forms.

You can become just about anything you are familiar with. You can change form once each round as a free action. The change takes place either immediately before your regular action or immediately after it, but not during the action. If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +10 bonus on your Disguise check.
Focus

A jade circlet worth no less than 1,500 gp, which you must place on your head when casting the spell. (The focus melds into your new form when you change shape.)

Yeah. The PHB assumed that you wouldn't multiclass if you were a wizard (and they were pretty much right.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 08:29:32 PM »
The text (higher priority than SRD) says "level", but the errata (higher priority than text) I just checked does indeed say "caster level."

So I retract my previous objection, replacing it with: :thumb You're good to go!
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 11:42:17 AM »
The Spellcasting is better, since *sigh* bloodlines do not stack with WS.
[spoiler]Wooden always forgets this. Now lets hope bow doesn't complain again that I said so...[/spoiler]
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 06:50:56 AM »
Why would I complain when you're right on the Bloodline thing? Don't always assume the worst ;)

And Bastian, as has been mentioned before, Shapechange is perfect for this. You're an Artificer, it should be easy.

Quote from: me
Bitch please, I'm an Artificer.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol