Author Topic: Blackguard's Undead Companion?  (Read 3829 times)

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Blackguard's Undead Companion?
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:23:03 PM »
A paladin of 9th level or higher who begins to take the blackguard class receives "A small or medium skeleton or zombie as a companion. This companion cannot be turned or rebuked and gains all special bonuses as a fiendish servant when the blackguard gains levels."

Now, Skeleton is a template. It doesn't specify what kind of skeleton you get. See where this goes?

What is the highest racial hit dice a medium creature has? Get one of those as a skeleton. Hell, you could have a 40hd skeleton running around, potentially.

EDIT: How about a Leshay?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Blackguard's Undead Companion?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 05:25:25 PM »
Or, y'know, a warbeast, woodling, magebred, void mind, half-golem flesh, half-golem clay, half-golem stone, half-golem iron, winged, insectile, multiheaded(lernaean) X3 extra, feral, half-troll, spell warped, half Black dragon, half Blue dragon, half Green dragon, half Red dragon, half White dragon, half Brass dragon, half Bronze dragon, half Copper dragon, half Gold dragon, half Silver dragon, paragon donkey skeleton.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:27:02 PM by Negative Zero »

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 05:28:22 PM »
if it takes more time to list all of your templates than it does to give your character's background then you are doing it....right  :smirk
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 05:30:50 PM »
Or, y'know, a warbeast, woodling, magebred, void mind, half-golem flesh, half-golem clay, half-golem stone, half-golem iron, winged, insectile, multiheaded(lernaean) X3 extra, feral, half-troll, spell warped, half Black dragon, half Blue dragon, half Green dragon, half Red dragon, half White dragon, half Brass dragon, half Bronze dragon, half Copper dragon, half Gold dragon, half Silver dragon, paragon donkey skeleton.

Talk about a clusterf*ck.

Maybe throw in Monster of Legend (MM2) for some fun.
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 05:39:42 PM »
Problem is it loses most of those when it becomes a skeleton. "A skeleton loses most special qualities of the base creature. It retains any extraordinary special qualities that improve its melee or ranged attacks. A skeleton gains the following special qualities. "

Going for a high HD monster.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 05:45:37 PM »
well the question is what is base? Can i have one that is a human that also happened to have lots of levels?
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 05:50:13 PM »
That list I gave doesn't care for its special qualities. It's just a gigantic mass of ability scores. It's originally from Mr. Roboto, which was an effigy (that loses all of its special qualities, IIRC), so. Hell, each of the half-dragons alone was worth +8 Str.

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 05:52:33 PM »
That list I gave doesn't care for its special qualities. It's just a gigantic mass of ability scores. It's originally from Mr. Roboto, which was an effigy (that loses all of its special qualities, IIRC), so. Hell, each of the half-dragons alone was worth +8 Str.

Monster of Legend is worth another STR +10 and DEX +6.

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 05:59:41 PM »
^Good points both.

This is really rather theoretical anyway. No sane dm would allow this. Well, maybe a little bit.

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 06:07:44 PM »
^Good points both.

This is really rather theoretical anyway. No sane dm would allow this. Well, maybe a little bit.

I could see a blackguard hunting down a unicorn "monster of legend," slaying it, and having it raised as a skeleton, just for shits and giggles.

In theory, the monster of legend represents a lower-level paragon-type creature. So slaying a demigod-like unicorn to have as a skeletal companion would be hella perverse. And right up a blackguard's alley.

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 09:09:40 AM »
I think there was an orgy at a hagumemnon...
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 11:08:56 AM »
Don't forget the Dungeonbred template in dungeonscape which lowers a creature's size.

Try a Grell advanced to Large and then apply dungeonbred.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 11:11:09 AM by telehax »

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 11:24:18 AM »

isn't this what happens when some wizard trying to create life sneezes mid spell?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 12:03:51 PM »
Most likely the "small or medium skeleton" wording is an inadvertant hold-over from 3.0, when skeleton wasn't a template, and all medium skeletons were the same (1 or 2 HD, and CR less than 1.)

Now, with my inner DM back in the closet, have fun with crazy huge HD medium skeletons.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 01:06:12 PM »
Libris Mortis's printing of the Summon Undead line had the same problem. It was fixed (and heavily nerfed) in Heroes of Horror.