Author Topic: Augmented Reality and You  (Read 1605 times)

Halloween

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Last Minute Studio
    • Email
Augmented Reality and You
« on: June 18, 2009, 01:52:25 PM »
I believe we should discuss using this technology to play tabletop games.

While of limited use for story games. I believe that it would be incalculably awesome for a miniatures game.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Halloween

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Last Minute Studio
    • Email
Re: Augmented Reality and You
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 11:11:35 PM »
Those are fun shenanigans, though the utility is limited by their reliance on webcams.

The interesting thing about the zombie-game is the portable nature.

Playing warhammer using virtual miniatures would certainly be more flexible then the plastic and paint traditional method.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 02:46:29 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6axJP6ZEEI&fmt=18
That is just awesome to combine with projector glasses.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Halloween

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Last Minute Studio
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 07:17:48 PM »
That is just awesome to combine with projector glasses.

Which is definitely where the technology is going, and when it does it means a strange and bizzare new world to play in.

I imagine that advertisments will get even more distracting/lethal.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 07:25:34 PM »
I had this odd image of an "offline meeting" for some online thing where people wear projector glasses and "AR suits" so everyone's av is projected over them. ???
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]