Author Topic: Favorite Dominion Card?  (Read 10212 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Favorite Dominion Card?
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 11:53:44 AM »
I ended up just buying it rather than waiting for Christmas, and figured I'd ask for the expansions instead. ;)

My wife loves the game about as much as me, and we've played quite a few games.  This has given both of us a lot of time to think things out.  Chapel is a lot more powerful than I thought.  In one of the first games I played, my cousin made good use of it, but my wife and I really put it to use in the last game we played (also with a third player).  Basically, before buying provinces, my deck looked like:

Gold
Gold
Gold
Laboratory
Adventurer
Chapel

I think the Cellar would have been better than the Lab, but I didn't think that far ahead, and I had five copper my first turn so I jumped at the opportunity.  Really, at that point, you get a Province every turn unless you get unlucky enough to draw four+ Provinces/Chapels.  My wife and I hit that point at the same time, and the game ended five turns after that.  My poor sister-in-law would watch each of our turns unfold and just say "crap".

It does look like a Thief would really hurt a deck like that.  Really, most of the attack cards would slow it down, but the Thief would be down right brutal.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 02:34:18 PM »
I ended up getting Dominion for Christmas, using some Christmas money to buy the first expansion and then a friend owed me some money, so he bought the third one, since he works at the FLGS.

Now with all the expansions, I don't know that Throne Room is my favorite card. It's still awesome, and I love it for the way it combos with other cards, but the expansion adds so many crazy cards. o.O
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 03:32:44 PM »
Just played this game at New Year's. Tried a couple different setups. I'm actually partial to Markets and Festivals.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 02:53:08 PM »
I've found I like Festival more than I used to.  I especially like it with Moat if I'm playing with Chapel and Adventurer when the Thief is in play.

Over the holidays, my cousin and his wife came over, and we played a lot of Dominion.  It was a blast.  My wife and I had already played quite a bit, but the four of us were basically playing every waking hour that my daughter was asleep.  We'd bring it over to various family get-togethers and play right after we got done eating.  I love this game.

I ended up getting Dominion for Christmas, using some Christmas money to buy the first expansion and then a friend owed me some money, so he bought the third one, since he works at the FLGS.

Now with all the expansions, I don't know that Throne Room is my favorite card. It's still awesome, and I love it for the way it combos with other cards, but the expansion adds so many crazy cards. o.O
I have yet to actually play either of the expansions.  What do you think of them AC?  I heard that one of them focuses more on setting stuff up for the next turn.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 09:44:14 PM »
I like both of them, although I haven't gotten to use all the cards yet. Sadly I don't get to play as often as you did. :(

Seaside introduces new cards that stay in play for you for a round and do something cool at the beginning of the next round. I really like them. They allow for interesting plays. Overall both expansions are really good, imo. :)

There is one card, Tribute, which really should be an attack, but isn't.  It's still awesome, I just think it is definitely an attack card, even if it only hits one player.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 10:22:36 AM »
We bought Intrigue, but it hasn't arrived yet.  We've agreed not to open it until we finish our basement, which is sadly at least two months off.  Still, it's something to look forward to.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 12:21:15 PM »
I finally got a chance to play Sea Side.  Treasure Map is a lot of fun, especially with something like Warehouse to make it easier to match up.

Tactician can be great too, so long as you draw it with an otherwise weak hand.  I got lucky in that both times I drew it, I had something like two copper and two green cards in my hand, so it was a no-brainer.  Each time I followed it up with at least three gold in my ten cards.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 04:57:08 PM »
We bought Intrigue, but it hasn't arrived yet.  We've agreed not to open it until we finish our basement, which is sadly at least two months off.  Still, it's something to look forward to.
We finally opened it (which means my basement is done)!

God.  Four months!
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 10:46:43 PM »
I just got Alchemy for my birthday!  My wife beat me both times. :(

Hmmm... I'm the last four posters on this thread.  Perhaps no one else plays this...  :bigeye
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Peaboo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 07:52:13 AM »
My wife got me the base set for Christmas, and I picked up two expansions so far.

Seaside and Prosperity. I think I'll skip Alchemy, but Intrigue is next on my list. (To allow more than 4 players. - So far it's just me and my wife.)

I don't have a favorite card just yet. I've just spent some time putting everything in plastic sleeves, and creating separators for a single card box. (The three sets are rather bulky to keep the boxes.)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, 04:37:25 PM »
The new expansion, Power CreepProsperity, is pretty crazy.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »
Intrigue is a really good expansion.  I can totally see skipping Alchemy.  I own it, but I also use it less than the others.

Prosperity really is balls to the walls crazy.  I like it, but it changes the game a lot.  One thing I like is that you don't have to get Platinums and Colonies.  It's really fun to play with several other people and make a dash on the Provinces while they fight for the Colonies.

Also, Prosperity has some pretty awesome combos.  The best I've seen so far is:
  • King's Court
  • King's Court
  • Monument
  • Monument
  • Bishop
And that's your entire deck.  You play a King's Court and use your second one (three times).  You use that tripled King's Court to play each Monument and your Bishop three times, for a total of +9VP.  You also get +15 money, but you don't buy anything, because that messes up your five card deck.  If you aren't being hit by attacks, that's a guaranteed +9 VP a turn, which is almost as good as a Colony.  You simply wait until there are a few Colonies left and then make a run on them at the end.  The only thing that keeps it from being too nuts is it pretty much requires Steward or Chapel to set up in time.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2011, 03:56:20 AM »
I've recently been getting into this. I love the Throne Room and the Spy (I pretty much love all the attack cards that aren't the witch). The Spy is a decent card in its own right, so it doesn't even hurt if they have moats to stop you. You still get to draw and lay something else down. The Throne Room is just awesome for catching people off guard. I like using it to surprise people with buys that make a difference, like if people are thinking that you'd need two turns to buy the rest of a stack or grab a potent amount of attack cards you can throne room a feast or workshop to suddenly change the table on them.

I generally don't like games that use "Victory Points," because usually the score is arbitrary and unrelated to the game. I like how Dominion forces you to deal with your victory points. They affect gameplay and aren't just some irrelevant element that comes into play only at a game's conclusion. I also love that the game can be different every time you play it. My first few games were heavy on the long-turn cards that give players lots of extra cards and actions, so each player is 10 minutes going through all their villages and markets and such. Then I got to play a couple games with NO major +action cards, and each person had to adapt their own way.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.