Author Topic: Polymorph Any Object and vagueness  (Read 12517 times)

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
Re: Polymorph Any Object and vagueness
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 04:11:10 PM »
It doesn't state or imply that you can break the HD-CL cap does it?

Yes it does. Because you can transform a Shrew into a Manticore. This would not be possible if their were a HD cap.

I guess veekie means the 15 HD max limit.... I don't think PaO allow your shrew become a 41 HD dragon...

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 02:21:37 PM »
No, you are wrong.

It's funny--you keep insisting that I'm wrong, and then confirming exactly what I said.

Because Polymorph Any Object text overrides Polymorph Te.

...and if PaO actually STATED that it overrides the limits--and explained which limits it overrides, and to what extent--we'd be fine, there would be no vagueness, and I wouldn't have made my comment.  It doesn't state that.  It IMPLIES that through examples.

When Greater Mirror Image has an immediate action casting time and says it is like mirror image except that blah blah. That doesn't mean that Greater Mirror Image is self contradictory, it means that immediate action casting time overrides functions like mirror image.

...because GMI, unlike PaO, explicitly STATES that difference.    PaO never explicitly states that the hit die cap is removed; it includes an example that implies the cap is removed.  Kaelik, no offense, but do you understand the difference between stated and implied information?  It really seems like you're having some problems differentiating.

That's bullshit and you know it.

Err...no, it's not.

Well then stop bitching and go find me one.

I'm not the one who's so infuriated that I'm flinging accusations over it.  I don't know why noting that PaO is vague and badly-written fills you with such rage--note that nobody else has a problem with the point I'm making.

No one ever complained it was well written. But the fact that you can pretend "functions like polymorph" prevents you from using Polymorph on a non willing creature doesn't actually mean that is the best or only or even a remotely sane reading of the spell.

Where in the WORLD did you get that notion?   Seriously, I don't mind strawman arguments, but could you try to make sure that they bear at least some passing resemblance to something that was actually said?

It says right in the example that if you use Polymorph Any Object to turn a Shrew into a Manticore, it has a duration of 1 week. Not "can't happen" not "o seconds" not "infinity over zero" One Week.

Right.  It STATES that you can turn a shrew into a manticore.  That's stated.

The idea that you can ignore the hit-die cap is NOT stated.  It is...say it with me...implied.

The spell description specifically states that you can transform a 1/2 HD shrew into a 6 HD Manticore.

Nope.  Again, you seem to be having real problems with the difference between "stated" and "implied."  Heck, if we want to get silly about it, it could be referring to one heck of an advanced shrew or one heck of a small manticore. 

Now: do I think that that's the case?  No, of course not.  The implication that hit die cap is circumvented is clear.  But that's exactly what it is...an implication.  It's NOT clearly stated in the text of the spell, and that's a problem--notice that we have one person right in this thread who DIDN'T think the spell allowed you to ignore hit die caps, and another who's unsure about whether it ignores the 15-HD cap or the caster-level hit die cap.

(Which is it, by the way?  Can PaO be used to turn a shrew into something with a hundred hit dice, regardless of your caster level?  Please, since you say it's "clearly stated," enlighten us.)

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 02:37:26 PM »
Note that the following is not in the SRD (apparently it didn't make the cut), but on PHB p.181. I will quote the text word for word:

Spell Chains: Some spells reference other spells that they are based upon. (For instance, cure light wounds is the spell upon which all other cure spells are based, and lesser planar ally is the spell upon which planar ally and greater planar ally are based.) Only information about a spell elsewhere in the spell chain that is different from the base spell is covered in the spell being described. Spell description entries and descriptive text that are the same as the base spell are not repeated.

The hit die cap from Polymorph is not described as being removed or replaced. Ergo, it is exactly the same as in the Polymorph spell.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 04:14:59 PM »
Thanks, Skydragon; I knew the passage was there, but I couldn't reference it, as I don't have access to my books at the moment.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 07:41:14 PM »
So, a broad way of resuming PaO's effect is: Anything goes, as long as it has 15 HD? Still broken, but less foggy...

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 08:52:52 PM »
So, a broad way of resuming PaO's effect is: Anything goes, as long as it has 15 HD? Still broken, but less foggy...

It's as good a guess as any. 

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 08:25:26 AM »
It doesn't state or imply that you can break the HD-CL cap does it?

Yes it does. Because you can transform a Shrew into a Manticore. This would not be possible if their were a HD cap.

I guess veekie means the 15 HD max limit.... I don't think PaO allow your shrew become a 41 HD dragon...
Yeah, thats what I meant.
It's like this AnySummon spell that's locked at 15HD.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Levithix

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 12:58:01 AM »
I might be of help, I've been on 4-chan, and speak fluent idiot, Badly-written is just a dialect of idiot and I should be able to translate.

Functions like Polymorph
Translation: Magically alters one thing into something else, if they both have minds, the original mind is still in control of the created thing.

Nice, very Nice.