Author Topic: The Airship: Arrival at Asturia.  (Read 10382 times)

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: The Airship: Arrival at Asturia.
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 04:31:04 PM »
Wonderful, Krylvliktl flashes Carson a beautiful smile and grasps his arm again. She gives him a sly wink before taking off at full pace, ducking around crowded areas and otherwise traversing the streets at an unnatural gait.  She almost seems unnaturally at home dodging through these tight corridors and crowded spaces, and she keeps Carson close, not letting the crowds subsume him.

Within a few moments, they arrive at the merchant's district, which is severely crowded in the middle of the day.  Aah, how quaint, she exclaims as she releases Carson and allows him to finally catch his breath.  While he does so, she stands up on her toes, shading her eyes with one hand, and gazes out over the square.  Let's go to that one, she says, the joy in her voice evident.  Before Carson has a chance to exhale and respond, they're off dodging through the crowds, yet again. Finally coming to a halt at a corner bookstore, Krylvliktl drags Carson to the doorway before releasing him.  She begins to carouse the shelves, slowly, stopping every few minutes to carry a book over to the merchant.  Some ten minutes later, she has amassed a collection of nearly ten large, leather-bound, relatively old-looking tomes.

Well do I know how to pick a good bookstore or what? She says, turning to smile and acknowledge Carson again for the first time since she entered the store.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2009, 01:49:17 AM »
"Aye Torque, that he probably did. You wanna' take him back to the ship, or leave him here, or what? I'm gonna go do..." Briei looks puzzled for a moment. something else! He appears truimphant as he walks away through the crowd, leaving the cart with Torque. The little dragon flits away, but before it goes, it turns towards Torque. <<Don't worry, It isn't too heavy.>> Then Brilei disappears into the crowd, presumably to steal some more.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2009, 03:16:43 AM »
As Torque pours water over his face, the pickpocket splutters and chokes, spitting water and opening his eyes halfway. "Ouch...Wh--who are you? Oh no, where's the guy--"

"Look," Torque interrupts, "it's alright. He's dealing with a friend of mine and probably not having much fun with it. You pickpocket." He raises a hand to cut off the boy's stammered protest. "Don't bother lying, I know. I used to be in a gang. It was fun, for a little while. Then people died. All the time. You think stealing is fun? Try doing it just to eat when everyone knows all the old tricks." Torque shakes his head, slightly lost in memory. "...Anyway. That guy might go looking for you if Arc doesn't magic him to death. Here." The engineer takes a small sack from his pocket and holds it in front of the boy. Damn, there goes all my repair money and spare change. Can I give him half instead...? However, the boy has already grabbed the purse and secreted it somewhere on his person.

"Take that and get out of here. I don't care how--horse, airship, on foot, whatever. Just get yourself away from the gangs, from the squalor, and yes, from the people trying to murder you. That should keep you going for a solid month." Torque pauses. There seems to be something keeping him from talking, but he eventually manages, "...and get a haircut, kid."

The boy stiffens, looking remarkably angered. "I like my hair! At least it isn't old hair, like yours."

Torque raises his eyebrows, endeavoring to look sophisticated, but only managing to look ridiculous. "Huh. Well, look at that, me and my "old hair" seem to have not been caught and given a concussion. Anyway, you get out of here with that before someone mugs you."

The engineer watches the kid scamper off. After a few seconds, the crowd has condensed enough to mask him from sight. Right, good deed for the day is over. Nearly killed, check, went after a gang runner, check--Oh, son of a bitch. Arc's going to kill me for this. Torque rushes back along the street towards the alleyway he emerged from.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2009, 06:54:26 PM »
Carson begins wandering around the bookstore, seemingly ignoring Krlvliktl but keeping half an eye on her as she flies around the store yanking books off the shelves. Deftly avoiding her each time she storms by, he picks up a series of books and puts each one down in disgust. Finally he picks up one that he likes and begins reading it.

"Hm," Carson grunts somewhat unenthusiastically as he peers up from a small book he's reading. "Found what you're looking for then? What've you got there?" The book he is reading is titled "When I do it, this is how it happens." The print is rather large.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2009, 11:58:50 AM »
"- that's still a little expensive..." "Fine, seventeen gold pieces. That's as low as I'll go." "That works perfectly!" Hadur gave the merchant he had been haggling with a friendly smile as he paid him for the three barrels of Asturian spices. After the two sailors he had taken with him had taken everything he had bought, Hadur gave each two gold pieces for their trouble and sent them back to the ship while he wandered about the bustling market on his own. While he regaled many of the stands with cursory glances, he didn't stop anywhere to buy anything until he found a small shop that caught his interest.

Entering the bookstore, Hadur took off his hat as he greeted the shopkeeper and customers in the store. "Good day," he said to the drow and human that seemed to be piling up books on the counter before realizing that he knew them. "Why, what a coincidence." The portly human smiled at Krlvliktl and Carson as he used his hat to fan air at himself. Hadur appeared to be sweating - small wonder, considering the heavy coat he was wearing in the bright, sunny weather.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2009, 09:10:07 PM »
A voice came through to Krylvliktl. "That's our Arc: always trying to show off. My Status device informed me that Torque got a little roughed up. I'll give him a few fighting tips later. "
The voice paused for a moment. Krylvliktl knew that he must be addressing someone else. When he resumed "It seems like we do not have time to finish all of our transactions before sunset. I'll be stopping by the city after all to look at the Request Board, so you're free for the rest of the evening. Try to inform the others you come across that there will song and dance in the square, followed by a fireworks show. ...and watch out that the goblin doesn't get himself killed again."
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:48:17 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2009, 09:46:46 PM »
"No, good sirs, this is my pistol, I promise. I know how hard it is to tell, but it is mine." Brilei was cornered, but this time it wasn't his fault. Seen comparing his own pistol to some on a table in front of an alchemy workshop, a couple Asturian thugs had decided that he was pretty rich, and goblins were always easy prey. << It's funny how often you get into trouble when you don't mean to, and how you never seem to find it if you are looking.>> "Not exactly a great thought, but thanks for thinking of me." The group of thugs looked confused, then one finally took initiative. "Who ya' talking about thoughts to?" He stepped up to challenge the goblin, who wasn't rattled at all. "Hmm, what? No, that was nothing. Can Ileavenowplease?" His words blending together as he attempts to run past the first man. Picking Brilei up by the scruff, the thug talks slowly, as if putting together sentences is hard work. "Pshh, no. You have money and that gun. Gimme." He holds out his hand, bringing the goblin to eye level with his other one. The goblin acts snarky, talking back. "I don't get paid enough to be worth mugging, He smiles and gives him the gun. But, I'll give you this. I don't even have a purse with me." The man smiles back and takes it, roughly dropping the goblin. I'll see about that." He levels the gun at the goblin, then fires without warning.

*BOOM*

A huge fireball engulfs the alley, leaving 4 charred, unconcious and probably alive men, along with one roasted goblin inside a radius of blackened stone. Passerby just ignore the blast, because of it's proximity to an alchemists workshop. Later in the afternoon, a mid-sized goblin who looks extremely thin and malnourished quickly walks around the corner, picks up the gun, knocks the thug closest to the dead goblin on the head, and runs away. <<Good show. Next time, be subtle?>> "Shut up. I didn't know it would be the faulty shot. It never does that when I fire it."
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2009, 01:16:17 PM »
"You were released on bail on the condition that you would cause no more trouble in this city. Drop the weapon now and you will live. Fail to do so and you will be executed immediately. Even your brother's money can't save a repeat offender from this city's justice."

The large "Mr. Turner" threw his weapon to the ground, startling Arc. The guardsman seemed unfazed, however.

MR. TURNER, grumbling resignedly
Bollocks to this! Just tryin' to do the city a favor by riddin' it of another ruddy thief. (He makes a rude gesture in Arc's direction.) Bloody stupid cow. Didn't mean to cause no harm to you. You were just too slow to get out of the way.

Arc hurriedly secured her sari as best she could as the two crossbowmen led "Mr. Turner" away. Blanc surveyed the scene and waved on a few onlookers with a "Nothing to see here" sort of wave. He walked over to Arc and offered her a hand up. She shied away at first, and then "graciously" accepted his help; she let the senior guardsmen do most of the lifting and did her best to conceal her own strength from him.

BLANC, to Arc
That's an interesting ensemble you have there, ma'am. You must be from out of town.

Once Arc is on her feet, she delicately adjusts her hair and secures her sari in place. "He's a handsome one," she thought. "Going fishing?" came the odious voice in the back of her head. "Perhaps," was her mental reply.

ARC, to Blanc
(Acting offended.) Not going to ask me if I'm alright? If the bad Mr. Turner hurt me or if I need medical attention?

BLANC, cont'd
(Blanc laughs. His is a rich and pleasant-sounding laugh.) I had a feeling you might be alright, I saw you were adjusting your wardrobe, which I thought might be more important. Well, you need not worry about the ruffian any longer, we'll see to it that he has a long time to think about what he's done while he's in a cell. Good day to you ma'am. (Blanc turns to leave.)

ARC, cont'd
(Speaking quickly.) Well ... you're lucky I just happen to be uninjured at the moment. As a matter of fact, I am from out of town and I was looking for someone who might be able to guide me around town.

Blanc turns back to her and smiles.

BLANC, cont'd
Sorry, I'm on duty at the moment, as much as I'd love to give you a tour of the city.

ARC, interjecting
(Quickly.) Agreed.

BLANC, cont'd
(Bewildered.) Sorry, what?

ARC, cont'd
(Smugly.) Well, you graciously offered to give me a tour of the city, and I just accepted. I'm sure your wife will understand you're performing a necessary civic duty.

BLANC, cont'd
(Matter-of-factly.) I never married.

ARC, cont'd
Your intended, then? Consort? War prize? Concubine? (She smiles playfully and added:) Harem?

BLANC, cont'd
(Embarrassed.) Certainly not, though the thought of maintaining a harem exhausts me.

ARC, cont'd
Well, then, I'll see you this evening. (She curtsies.) My name is Amanda, by the way.

Blanc nods his head and mumbles "Blanc," and Arc smiles triumphantly. She turns and tosses her hair, and starts walking back towards the airship, throwing every lively bit of sex and bounce into her step. She pauses when she hears Blanc's voice behind her:

BLANC, calling out
Miss Amanda, your cosmetics...
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2009, 02:15:28 PM »
Oh these? Krylvliktl asks as she produces her gambling winnings from a sleeve. They're mostly first editions, except for this one... She pulls her hand out of the bag, without seeming to count the coin and lays it on the table next to the tomes.  The merchant's eyes go wide as he begins counting the coin, clearly impressed with what Krylvliktl is willing to pay for the books.  Replacing the bag of coin, she holds up the topmost book for Carson to see.  The script is clearly archaic and etched in old calligraphy.  This one is The Complete Workings of Ismael Shlauffdh: The Anatomy of Minotaurs, Centaurs, and other Tauric Creations.  Her beaming smile clearly reveals her excitement at this particular book, leading Carson to believe it is probably either very rare or very old, possibly both.

She turns to collect the books that the merchant has bound in twine for her when Hadur enters the bookstore.  Ah, good day, Hadur. She flashes an innocent smile at the portly chef.  What brings you to the market? Did Data send you on another errand? She asks as she folds her prized possession under one arm and effortlessly lifts the twined volumes with her other, tossing Carson a small, barely noticeable wink.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2009, 02:25:34 PM »
Carson watches as Krylvliktl walks off. <Hm. What a fascinating woman. So simple and yet so complex... Like a mirror with a beautiful reflection in it. > he thinks, as he watches her walk away. <Well, now that the pleasantries are over with, it's time to get to business.> Carson walks away from the book, turning on his heel before it even hits the floor. Completely ignoring any resistance that the shopkeeper might meet him with, he walks out into the street, and, checking to see that Krylvliktl and her short compatriot are gone, heads out of the mercantile district in search of somewhere where he can find objects of true value...

Carson wanders the street, shuffling slowly past drug dealers and poor peasants, looking for rumors, whispers of a scandalous nature, and a direction to follow, on his quest. For the better part of the day, he walks among the people of the city, scouring every tavern for news.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2009, 04:41:22 PM »
Torque rushes around the corner, half-expecting to see either Arc or the burly man lying in a pool of blood. Probably the latter. Instead, he sees his friend completely unharmed, adjusting her clothing and chatting up one of the guardsmen who had congregated on the scene. The engineer stood completely still for a moment, then doubled back and walked briskly in the other direction yet again, the slack-jawed look of amazement on his face replaced by a smirk. Well, that's a bit of luck. Maybe her inevitable tongue-lashings will be mitigated slightly--or maybe she'll forget entirely. Hoping that she hadn't caught sight of him, Torque stepped into a nearby bookstore, nearly colliding with a man striding out of the doorway.

Hey, isn't that...Yeah, it is! Wonder what he was doing in here, he didn't seem like the type. Oh well, I'm sure he had his reasons. Immediately forgetting about Carson's presence, Torque is drawn to a small shelf full of engineering manuals and treatises on invention. After leafing through them for a few seconds, he happens to notice a roundish man with a large coat and hat nearby.

"Hadur! Nice to see you here. Anything, ah, exciting happen on the way?" The engineer gives a sheepish grin while wondering whether there's any blood left on his face.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2009, 07:46:46 PM »
"Indeed, he has," Hadur answers Krylvliktl, "Just some ingredients, as well as some Asturian spices. Now that I'm done and sent my shopping back to the Tempest, so I thought I'd look around some bookshops." With that, the human starts walking among the bookshelves at a brisk pace, simply ignoring most books that obviously don't treat his specialty. He stopssometimes to read a book's title up close, even taking a few out and flipping through the pages before replacing it neatly on the bookshelf where it was.

Hadur is just putting a moderately thick book back in its place as Torque notices him and calls out to him. "Oh! Good day to you too, Torque," Hadur greets the engineer with his trademark friendly smile, "I'm afraid nothing overly exciting happened to me, unless you would count stumbling over a stone. By the way," Hadur lowers his voice and points discreetly at his mouth, "You seem to have some blood on your lip."
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2009, 08:01:08 PM »
With a slight flourish, the engineer produces a handkerchief from his pocket. However, in utter contrast to the pristine silk handkerchief tradition would mandate, Torque's is spattered with grease, oil, and after the few seconds it takes to wipe off his mouth, blood. Replacing the blood with more familiar substances, Torque pockets the cloth and smiles ruefully. "Yeah, that was exciting. You might say I stumbled upon a brick too. Anyway, you found anything here? These manuals are a couple months out of date, but I don't know what the rest of the store's like."

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2009, 08:24:02 PM »
Hadur simply nods politely at Torque's explanation - if the engineer does not want to elaborate, it's not his place to probe further. "Nothing, I am afraid. I'm sure that there are a lot of interesting books here, but I've not found anything that piqued my interest yet." The ship's cook supresses a yawn as he strains his tired eyes to look through the book backs on the nearby shelves, looking for titles that may interest him.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2009, 09:07:50 PM »
"You look tired. Not been sleeping well again?" Torque knows this is a delicate subject, and decides to tread lightly around the issue should it arise. Hopefully, I'll seem like I'm concerned that my friend isn't sleeping well--which is true--and not that he's going to go crazy from insomnia--which is also true.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2009, 09:39:13 PM »
Krylvliktl turns her head slightly to the side as she hears Torque's voice from around one of the shelves.  Gliding back to the merchant, she sets her twined volumes down and places her hand on his while she whispers, Watch these for a moment, please.

Poking her head around the corner, behind Hadur, she winks at Torque. Well good afternoon, Torque!  I see you're still in one piece, she smiles knowingly.  Without waiting for him to continue she adds, Don't worry, after the festival tonight with all the song and dance, I'm sure she'll forget to repay you. Oh by the way, I meant to tell Carson before he left. Ah well, you two will do. There's going to be a grand fireworks show tonight near the square.  I plan on getting a bird's eye view of the show, if either of you are interested.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2009, 10:00:28 AM »
"I'm afraid so, but I will manage. I'm used to it by now, and I plan on sleeping through the rest of the afternoon until dinner," the chef answers Torque's concern.
At Krylvliktl's offer, he returns a smile. "That sounds wonderful, but would not a bird's eye view of a fireworks show be a little dangerous, in more ways than one?", he asks with a slightly nervous laugh.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 05:06:40 PM by Agita »

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2009, 05:03:36 PM »
Krylvliktl laughs softly, almost a giggle. Only if you want it to be. But seriously, I doubt it will be that dangerous. I was referring to a rooftop view, so that we may view the show without being crowded.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2009, 11:23:34 PM »
Having given out all of the tasks necessary for the moment, the metal man dressed in business attire shuffles down the ramp and trudges into Asturia. He turned a tiny knob behind his right audio sensor, setting it to filter mode and increasing it's range just in case some noteworthy information is said amidst the noise of the crowd.

Data stops by the Message Station and scans the boards for mercenary jobs ranked in difficulty from C to S(the rank above A) by the Mercenary Oversight Committee, ignoring those of C-rank and looking briefly at the S-rank before paying the nominal fees for copies of the B-rank and A-rank jobs which matched the levels of his crew members. While the S-rank requests were not impossible for some of his subordinates, he considered his subordinates to be an investment that he would not risk without a decent chance of success.

He put the copies of the jobs into a pocket too small to fit them, sliding them into the pocket until they were no longer visible. He had one other place he visited for information whenever he was in Asturia, a tavern named Hidden Paradise. It was a noisy tavern, filled with rowdy customers who thought they were superior. And some of them were: Hidden Paradise was a hangout for unaffiliated mercenaries, guild-less mages and more shady individuals whose trades tended to conflict with the law. No one dared thievery in such a place: the patrons were known to leave such foolish people as unrecognizable corpses.

Data strolled in nonchalantly, not making eye contact, but keeping his audio sensors open. This is where the under-the-table jobs could be found. Not all of such jobs were illegal...some are merely too sensitive or political to be made public knowledge. He makes out a voice in the crowd he recognizes. He carefully maneuvers through the crowded place and sits down at the bar next to a man with far too much bling.
"I should have known I would find you here, Carson. I can still remember the first time I met you those years ago.... I was surprised when I found you about a month ago, in a place just like this one in Lorbington."
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:12:41 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2009, 08:26:33 PM »
Sliding through market stalls, Brilei blends in well with the crowds surrounding him. <<So, what now? You've already lost two bodies, and it's been what, 3 hours?>> "Stop whining, I'm hungry again, so I was planning on visiting a tavern. Good idea, no?" <<With you, it's never a good idea.>>

Brilei wandered into a tavern, The Golden Pony. It was in good repair, and filled with a good number of people. It had like 17 dark corners which were occupied by suspicious men with hoods, whom Brilei ignored. He instead wandered to the bar, sliding onto a stool, opening his ears to the conversations around him.