Author Topic: Onward and Inward.  (Read 10461 times)

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Onward and Inward.
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:14:08 PM »
Before you stands a large black spire. It reaches easily ten miles up into the air, and it's base is large, you estimate with your amazing DM reading from notes math, that it is probably about a mile in diameter. Smooth and polished black stone is the entire outside surface, with but a single entrance, a large curved arch that extends like a hallway several hundred feet, descending at a slight incline into darkness.

The floor too is of the same black rock, and though it appears slippery, it seems to allow for measured descent. A small engraving on the floor just inside the entrance says merely, "Welcome. Wash your feet." repeated in several languages (Common, Undercommon, Draconic, Celestial, Infernal, Abyssal, Sylvan, and a language you do not recognize in that order).

[spoiler]And you all need to write down your languages, because seriously one out of the six of you have them.[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Onward and Inward.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 08:33:35 AM »
Touching the smooth outside wall next to the entrance, the large dragonlike Warforged, appearing somewhat awed by the sheer size of the pillar, says "It truly is a fine piece of craftmanship, isn't it?"

As if replying, a small green crystal, seemingly embedded in a small cavity in his chest, flickers with a green light after the construct speaks these words.

"Shall we proceed, sentients?"

As he walks in however, he suddenly stops as he sees the text engraved on the floor. After taking his time to read it, he calmly walks back out again, taking a waterskin from his gear and apparently washing his feet.

"No need to be rude to whoever owns this structure." he explains as he is now polishing the green crystal on his chest.

OOC:"Before I forget, would any of you be opposed to coating your weapons with poison? I've learned that it tends to work quite well in increasing the lethality of a first blow."

« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 05:51:11 AM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:03:38 AM »
The armor-clad elf with a speck of light floating by his head blinks as he sees the warforged produce a waterskin. "Why do you have a waterskin? Wouldn't you rust if you tried to drink?" Nonetheless, he follows suit, and holds a handful of water up to the mote floating near his eye, saying "You too."
     Unheard to anyone but him, the mote replies, peevishly, "I do not have feet, I am an undying spirit, I have seen thousands of years from a dozen sets of eyes, and -"
     "And none of that has taught you to be polite to your hosts? Especially when they are powerful mages of an unknown temperament?"
the elf replies, sounding like he is talking to an imaginary friend. He splashes the water over the light, and says "Close enough."
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 02:28:48 PM by Nodaisho »
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 01:52:21 PM »
A tiny gnome stares up at the large warforged. He raises an eyebrow, and then seems to withdraw within himself. "That's true, it is quite a fine example of a huge spire. We might as well get going."

He stares at the floor for a second, before his hand disappears into his shirt and he fishes out a waterskin. He then starts grumbling about manners as he pours a small amount on his shoes, then returns the skin to its unseen pouch. "We should go now, before we have to repeat the washing." He then smiles. "What weapons, good sir?"
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 01:57:08 PM »
"For those of you who use weapons ofcourse, wether they're manufactured..." the Warforged says, looking at Falden first, then at Zerah, before concluding "...or natural."
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

HeadofVecna

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 05:24:03 PM »
"By all means we should be polite before we sack the place. But cousin, if that unusually large bottle of poison isn't precious, I wouldn't mind washing up in that.

After splashing her hands teeth and some long and wickedly curved spikes along her wings, she speaks a few words of protection in draconic, "Voratrix litrix", accompanied by a graceful arcane gesture.

"I'm ready, who wishes to lead the way?"

mans0011

• Curious George
  • Too much Aizen Hate to go around....
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 07:36:34 PM »
Would anyone mind sparing some water? I don't have a waterskin... Turelio cocks an eyebrow.

[spoiler]do you mind assuming that I take 10 on autohypnosis to memorize anything I read?[/spoiler]
OOC-well for that matter he could just ride on my sword, that's about 15' ;)
OOC - That's what SHE said!  But, otherwise, that works for me, if you guys are willing.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 09:10:30 PM »
[spoiler]If you ever can't take ten to read it, I'll let you know, assuming that autohypnosis allows taking ten, of course.[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 09:33:08 PM »
Zerah had raised his holy symbol, said a few prayers to aid him and defend him, and without drawing his sword (out of politesse), he stepped forward. "I agree; we do not know whether we will meet friend or foe here." He ponders for a second the poison, then thinking better of it, keeps his sword sheathed; his diety would look down on that, no doubt. At least while there are no known hostiles. "If no others have a wish to, I'll gladly take the front." Muttering under his breath, he whispers "Lord defend me..." Stepping forward, as if to indicate he was prepared, Zerah looks back to the group.

[spoiler]
A defensive buff... bring out the big guns later... Also, if we are to post in order of our character sheets, Generic, will you post in the buff thread, or can I go ahead?

Shield of Faith (13 minute Duration) - +4 deflection bonus to AC (1/2 daily castings)
Owl's Wisdom (13 minute Duration) - +4 to wisdom (translates to +2 to AC, among other bonuses)

Total bonus to AC - +6, AC becomes 30
[/spoiler]

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 09:48:43 PM »
I won't be getting buffs unless someone else wants to buff me. you go ahead.

Of course. Skoriwann hands Turelio a waterskin. We should go fast, get out of the light, but first... who is everyone? I am Skoriwann, hand of Fharlanghn.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

mans0011

• Curious George
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 09:54:15 PM »
I won't be getting buffs unless someone else wants to buff me. you go ahead.

Of course. Skoriwann hands Turelio a waterskin. We should go fast, get out of the light, but first... who is everyone? I am Skoriwann, hand of Fharlanghn.

Turelio doffs his hat. Much thanks, Skoriwann. Hmmm, hand of Fharlanghn... don't you mean foot? Hah! I jest. I am Turelio, you all know, the Mage guild's attache and representative of Corellon, Boccob and Bahamut. Their wills be my guide.
OOC - That's what SHE said!  But, otherwise, that works for me, if you guys are willing.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 10:05:51 PM »
He sticks his tongue out. That was in horrible taste. He slides into the shadow of the doorway.

mans0011

• Curious George
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Skoriwann only
[spoiler]<<Oh come on, you know it was just a joke. And ALMOST funny....>>[/spoiler]

HeadofVecna

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 10:42:26 PM »
The Dracolich rears back on two legs, the twin amethyst points of light in her eye sockets blazing. She then performs something of a bow. The gesture, though graceful, makes a strange impression coming from such an unnatural  creature.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 11:39:51 PM »
As you progress down the hallway, the slope steepens ever so slightly, (Nodaisho, you should do something about light, you are the only person without Darkvision). Some of the more adept of you (Wraethlyr and Skori) hear the sound of a trickle of water and a perhaps a waterfall far away. Ahead, the tunnel comes to an end in the form of opening into a great wide room. The hallway leads out on to a balcony with no railing. The ceiling is about 30ft up, and the ground floor another 30ft down. The ceiling leaks streams of liquid in a few places, and the floor is a perfectly smooth but quick flow of liquid, driven by a source below and behind you. It appears to be about 2ft deep.

Those of you with 120ft Darkvision, (Or if someone pulls out a light source that allows seeing that far) see that the far wall is much like your own, but with the exit tunnel on ground level, and the liquid (Which shall henceforth be called 'water' though it could be otherwise) pours through it, out to some distant, and now quite audible fall.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 03:53:12 AM »
"Anyone feel like testing the water?" Skoriwann says with a sarcastic smirk. "We gotta get down and out someway, apparently."

OOC: Is telepathy capable of detecting surface thoughts?

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 06:44:53 AM »
"Do we jump down and walk, or would it be more prudent to fly?" Vyth asks, looking at Turelio.

"Before we proceed any further, is anyone proficient at dealing with potential traps?
If not, I could create something to deal with at least some possible traps."

mans0011

• Curious George
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 02:14:04 PM »
Turelio sucks thoughtfully on his teeth. I'm not quite sure what to do, other than just going for it. If you want to test for traps, that might be wise, though I daresay whatever has consumed the people before us was probably not this room. I don't mean to give us license for carelessness, but I also don't think we should be ready for doom an destruction yet.

[spoiler]Turelio's telepathy comes from Mindbender 1, so no special abilities from that, other than being able to communicate and mindsight, which costs a feat.[/spoiler]

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 02:32:41 PM »
"And yet, would the second room not be a good one for a trap, since no one wold be expecting such?"

OOC: But does telepathy come with a constant detect thoughts?

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 02:56:25 PM »
"It doesn't hurt to be prudent, just in case." the draconic 'Forged replies, just before you all see a featureless creature, apparently made from some sort of transparent, almost liquid, substance appear in the water below, walking towards the tunnel on the opposite end of the room.

"My creation will test the waters, so to speak, for any potential hazards." Vyth explains.

[spoiler]Astral Construct using the Constructor's Utility Construct class feature. Medium sized, no special Menu abilities, can be commanded to perform simple tasks, excerts 100lbs of pressure (in case we encounter any pressure-sensitive traps and the like) and lasts for 15 hours (Overchannel, use move action to regain focus).

I'll have it stop and wait for us at the entrance of the tunnel.[/spoiler]