Author Topic: Idea for a Warblade ACF  (Read 4919 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Idea for a Warblade ACF
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 09:31:27 AM »
Just a thought, I can think of no reason I would give up my swift action as an initiator, to remove someones Dex bonus to AC. At higher levels it goes doubly so. Raging Mongoose and such are much better.
I agree fully.  Looking at this in more depth, it was a bad idea.

If you were going Swashbuckler, I would replace White Raven (a team-work oriented discipline) with Shadow Blade or Desert Wind, both of which are more disposed to a swashy feel, and just drop Stone Dragon altogether.

I had toyed with Desert Wind, although I wanted to take out the supernatural maneuvers, because I wanted a more "mundane" swashbuckler with some good ToB options.  One think I like about the warblade is that it's the only martial adept that doesn't seem to use supernatural maneuvers.  So, I looked through both Shadow Hand and Desert Wind and checked out what they offered if I removed any supernatural or [teleportation] maneuvers (oddly enough, the [teleportation] maneuvers aren't explicitly flagged as supernatural).

Shadow Hand still offers some decent maneuvers and stances, espescially from a flavor point of view.  Coupled with some other good abilities, it could work nicely.  Desert Wind, on the other hand, has exactly four non-supernatural maneuvers ranging from 1st to 6th level.  The 6th level maneuver has a prereq of 3 DW maneuvers, so you'd have to take all four of them to get it.  This makes me iffy on including it at all.  I don't want to allow the supernatural DW maneuvers, because I don't picture swashbucklers running around lighting their blades on fire, unleashing cones of fire, and charging eneimies, leaving a trail of fire behind. ;)

I totally agree with dropping Stone Dragon, and I'm iffy on White Raven.  I guess I tend to picture swashbucklers are more of loners, or at least, not battlt tacticians.  Dropping both of these and adding in a nerfed version of Shadow Hand would leave me room to simply add in more class features without having to remove too many.

Insightful Strike would be best replacing one of the other +int to X abilities, perhaps Battle Clarity.
I don't remember off the top of my head which ability Battle Clarity is.  If I drop both SD and WR, would it be too potent to throw in Insightful Strike at 1st level?  I guess I see it as important to get Weapon Finesse and Canny Defense at first level, so adding IS on top of that is probably too much.  You get Uncanny Dodge at 2nd level, which is probably good enough on it's own.  Perhaps I should follow the CW swashbuckler's lead, and give out IS at 3rd level.

Swashbucklers should also get a good Ref. Save, I feel.
I had thought of this.  If I give out a good Reflex save, I'm not sure what to do about their Fort save.  Obviously, if they aren't giving something up in return, then I should proabably just swap them, although I don't consider it an even trade.  I feel Fort is a much stronger save than Reflex.  Although, given an even swap of Fort and Reflex, I feel I could throw Evasion in at a fairly low level (4th or lower) and it would be a fair trade.

Wow.  That's a lot more brainstorming that I was imagining.  Any thoughts or ideas?  With as many changes being suggested, I may just end up reposting this as a new class heavily based on the warblade as opposed to a class variant.  We'll have to see how it shapes up.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 09:16:45 PM »
The fighter one makes the Warblade much stronger as it means he can spend all those feats on martial study.  So now he has full access to Spirit and Shadow and Desert.  The swashbuckler one I have little opinion on although I don't think you should remove 2 schools and only give back 1.  Stone Dragon->Shadow Hand seems like  a perfect swap for the Swashy while White Raven at least kinda fits the theme.
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 07:36:32 AM »
The fighter one makes the Warblade much stronger as it means he can spend all those feats on martial study.  So now he has full access to Spirit and Shadow and Desert.  The swashbuckler one I have little opinion on although I don't think you should remove 2 schools and only give back 1.  Stone Dragon->Shadow Hand seems like  a perfect swap for the Swashy while White Raven at least kinda fits the theme.

You can only take Martial Study three times and Martial Stance one time.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 09:19:42 AM »

You can only take Martial Study three times and Martial Stance one time.
You beat me to it.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 09:41:58 AM »
Actually, looking at it, I suppose the "fighter" variant is more powerful strictly speaking.  Because you don't have to take the feat at each level, and can opt to at various levels, you can opt to take it as many as four times, taking Martial Study three times and Martial Stance once, ending up with the exact same number of maneuvers as a regular warblade, but with more versatility in your maneuvers.  I suppose I could specifically mention that you cannot take either of those feats with the bonus feat you gain from the ACF...

I'd really like to get this "fighter" variant to work, but any elegant solution is truely escaping me.  Perhaps the best solution would be to post two new classes (one for the fighter and one for the swashbuckler) based heavily off of the warblade, but different enough that I don't have to limit myself to the quid pro quo trading of an ACF.  I may have time to do something this weekend.  Do you think this might be a better approach?

I suppose it's easier to answer that question after you see what I post. :p
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]