Author Topic: Divinations  (Read 3637 times)

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Divinations
« on: June 11, 2009, 11:05:13 PM »
As I said, give me the info on whatever Divinations you would have asked before heading out. If you can't do any divining yourself, assume you have a source (employer or friend) that provides you a free Divination as the spell.

CL 15 regardless of who provided it, but only one free.

Also give me a list of everything you would have done.

If you have something with an XP cost, let me know, I'll probably waive it for at the very least this preliminary part, probably more as long as you aren't a dick and take days off to cast it from all your slots.

What you do know before this divination, and why you are here.

You just finished up whatever else you were doing, and heard word from an employer or contact (or you received a specific communicae from a servant of your God, or you cast a divination spell and found out then asked around):

A couple weeks ago, a large stone spire appeared in a desert, a good ways out from any roads, but so tall, it was still visible. Several groups passing by presumably went to investigate, because they did not reach their destinations. Even some groups were sent deliberately to investigate the arrival, and their employers have not heard back from them. (Whereever your source of information, you are aware that all of these groups are quite a bit less powerful than you.)

Strange appearances, and missing people? That doesn't happen without a reason. And worst case scenario, you kill off a death cult or two and get the loot of the downed adventuring parties. So off you went.

You guys should probably all know each other normally, even if you only sometimes work together. EDIT: Change of plans, most of you don't know each other, and we'll work out the introductions as an aside thing as we go.

Generic_PC:
[spoiler]While you were traveling, in a dangerous area, a strange old man wandered up, and told you that there was a spire of stone that was really quite a problem for any travelers going by. This occurred recently, and when you reached the nearest large city, you inquired about such an occurrence. Based on the time frame of the meeting compared to accounts of the spire's arrival, it is highly unlikely that any normal old man might have heard of the spire, much less speak with the seeming air of experience as this one did.[/spoiler]

Flay:
[spoiler]You recently came across a small stone spire in the middle of a pile of sand while walking through the forest. Suddenly, multiple successive lightning strikes came from above, repeatedly striking the tower. When you later heard about the strange tower from a member of a local temple, you were reminded of this occurrence.

Also, you can choose for this to be true or not, but your church may have put out the word for a Cleric to join an expedition to check on this tower, And you probably responded because of that event, leading to your being sent with the group at hand.[/spoiler]

Everyone else:
[spoiler]I don't understand your characters motivations or history enough to give you anything specific about why you are there. So give me a prelim Divination now, and I'll give you another free one later if after learning about your character I present a situation which deserves an different question.[/spoiler]

Head of Vecna:
[spoiler]After dying somewhere, you showed up and Mom gave you a lowdown on someone asking for you. It appears you have made a name for yourself in the human world enough to have brought a man to find your mother to get in contact. He informed her that an expedition was being launched to deal with a somewhat local issue. You would be useful to the group, and they'd like you to find a Dragonborn by the name of [This is going to be Bowen, will work out some stuff about that when I've got him in line] to meet a [man's mage guild] representative. You are of course warned about the whole Dragonborn thing, and advised to handle it. You two can work that out if you want, or just assume it works out.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 07:43:48 AM by Kaelik »

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Divinations
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 11:12:41 PM »
XP cost: 320 for Splitting Enhancement to Signature Weapon.

Good hook though. If i ever become a Cleric, i'll have a reason to be a contemplative. i think.

I'll think about my Divination, probably post it later.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 11:48:57 PM »
SO you have exactly enough Kensai levels to get Splitting? Okay, yeah, I'm going to go ahead and probably say that all Kensai enhancements are XP less. You are spending your class levels, and you'd be catching up anyway.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 11:56:46 PM »
I think I do. I might be taking more, but it'll be iffy.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 05:11:29 AM »
Sooo, we get one divination spell to answer one question before anything starts? Alright then, I'll RP mine, I suppose, yes?
[spoiler]
With the help of the clerical aides, the circle had finally become complete, and the incense was getting placed in the correct slots before the ritual could be performed. the powder, highly explosive, and in it's current form very unstable when combined with lightning, did not unnerve the cleric that had now stepped into the center circle of the carefully drawn ritual. As soon as the signal was given, and the last of the aides had left the now very dark room, the cleric drew his sword from his blue and white sheathe, hidden in the similarly colored clothes, and brought it thrusting down onto a spot in the center,  raining sparks of electricity on the dark powder target it now pierced. For a moment, a sort of explosion could be heard, though drawn out as the lightning became the outlines of the circle itself, snuffing out in a great blue waterfall of light that eminated from the circle upwards. The divination spell had been successful, and much needed before this mission.

Calling out into the shining aeons, the cleric rose his hands and lowered his gaze. "I am Zerah Faim, servant of my Lord Heironeous, warrior of His temples, defender of the weak, butcher of evil. I call out to all allies of my lord, as I seek an answer to my quest.

I once passed a small spire dug into the sand, and suddenly the spire was struck repeatedly by bolts of lightning. I first took it to be a direction, my point on the compass towards this one obstacle. But now, is it a compass point or a target? Am I to protect or destroy for my Lord?

.... Is my objective of truth to seek the tower, or to destroy it, oh Lord on high?"
The existence and action surrounding this tower sparked curiosity, but moreso a thirst to know if this would be a fight for the poor souls taken by the tower, or if it was a strike against an evil. Is be being sent to defend, or is be being sent to annihilate? That was all he needed to know; his motive for this task he had been granted.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 05:47:51 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 05:31:23 AM »
1) If you can personally cast any divinations spells, like Commune or Divination, you are welcome to cast as many as you like and I will answer them here. You also receive one free Divination granted by the guild. It's mostly for all the non-Clerics. Since divination is usually a good start for later search paths.

2) Your question is odd. there are a lot of ifs and maybes and such, and it is incredibly general, I'd like you to rephrase it to be just one question. Also, I want to make sure you know, you didn't see the tower, you saw a small, like 3ft spire in a small circle of sand in the forest that was then struck several times in succession. The point being that it's like a miniature of the spire.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 05:48:56 AM »
Fixed, I do believe. Bit more specific, thinking in terms of Heironeous' righteous ass. So basically, what would God do?  :P Better?

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 06:45:50 AM »
Flay:
[spoiler]Your Lord cannot see within the Tower at all. Your task is to discover whether to protect or destroy.[/spoiler]

mans0011

• Curious George
  • Too much Aizen Hate to go around....
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 05:53:51 PM »
Turelio kneels, on the divine grace of Bahamut, Boccob and Corellon, the gods of his life that motivate his very being.
Hear my prayer, I am to enter the unknown, black spire in the middle of the desert. If you have any advice, please grant it to your humble servant. What preparations should I make so that I may discover the mysteries of this place and return alive?

[spoiler]Caster level for my divination spells is 16. I also get to roll the dice twice and take the better result, for my % roll. If that's not specific enough, lemme know and I'll try to reword.[/spoiler]
OOC-well for that matter he could just ride on my sword, that's about 15' ;)
OOC - That's what SHE said!  But, otherwise, that works for me, if you guys are willing.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 07:12:20 PM »
mans:
[spoiler]Your normal preparations are adequate, but you are advised to find friends and to prepare spells to make a long stay within the structure comfortable. You should also prepare a spell to teleport to the location.[/spoiler]

mans0011

• Curious George
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 09:53:11 PM »
mans:
[spoiler]Your normal preparations are adequate, but you are advised to find friends and to prepare spells to make a long stay within the structure comfortable. You should also prepare a spell to teleport to the location.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Thanks. So I'm taking that to maybe mean rope trick? Teleport is my signature spell so I don't really need to "prepare" it. ^_^[/spoiler]
OOC - That's what SHE said!  But, otherwise, that works for me, if you guys are willing.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 10:29:24 PM »
Apparently your Divination reached a less than omniscient power. Rope Trick, or you could use wall of stone and shape stone.

mans0011

• Curious George
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 10:52:39 PM »
Apparently your Divination reached a less than omniscient power. Rope Trick, or you could use wall of stone and shape stone.

haha, lol. I love how tongue in cheek you are, Kaelik.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 07:54:38 AM »
Quote from: Kaelik
If you have something with an XP cost, let me know, I'll probably waive it for at the very least this preliminary part, probably more as long as you aren't a dick and take days off to cast it from all your slots.

Are you okay with waving the XP cost for a Psionic Contingeny (15XP)?

If so, I'd manifest the following Psionic Contingency:

Trigger: Whenever I would get affected by an effect that would leave me at -1 or lower HP
Effect: Temporal Acceleration

Is that specific enough?
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 08:11:12 AM »
That's a fine condition, and yes.

Also, can someone please do something in the actual thread. Like enter the complex or something.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 08:19:02 AM »
Roger wallnut, gimme 10 minutes :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol