Author Topic: Horror games that are actually scary...  (Read 8656 times)

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Horror games that are actually scary...
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 10:45:38 AM »
HL2's Ravenholm levels were good horror.  Those shambling zombies that throw black headcrabs were nasty.

AvP2 was pretty slick as well.  The Alien levels made me nauseous, but the Predator levels were fun and slightly scary when you had to fight the Aliens, since your cloaking device doesn't work against them.  Killing the humans was easy as pie.  Playing as the humans was terrifying.

Peaboo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 01:48:55 AM »
A really great scary game is for Game Cube. Eternal Darkness.

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 12:29:46 PM »
HL2's Ravenholm levels were good horror.  Those shambling zombies that throw black headcrabs were nasty.

The atmosphere was pretty decent. I thought seeing the bodies spiked in different areas, thanks to Father Grigori's traps was pretty freaky. Having the guy jump out on occasion and blast some critter that was going after you ... somewhat tense. Seeing that one body jumping around 'cause of the electricity? That was kinda freaky. Mmm ... circular saw blades cutting a zombie in half and not killing it?

I think Ravenholm was a veritable goldmine of potential nightmare fuel.
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

PaladinRevenant

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • A casual gamer who wants to spread the love
    • Paladin Revenant's MySpace page
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 03:36:24 PM »
Well, I know they're not for the Xbox, and I don't know how many got ported to PC, but The Silent Hill games are MESSED UP!  The movie did an okay job on some aspects, but there's a level of empathy that you feel for a character that you are controlling that you can't quite duplicate in a movie.  There's also something really creepy about being able to hear something slobbering and idly growling near you in the fog, but not knowing quite where it is or if it has noticed you.  I would definitely recommend Silent Hill, Silent Hill 2, and Silent Hill Homecoming.  The others may be good, but I haven't personally gotten to play through them.

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2009, 11:35:21 PM »
HOLY SHIT, AVP2 PLAYERS!!! That game scared the shit out of me when I first got it. The game only gets scarier when you know what is going to happen. Even when I cheated to get invincibility, all weapons, and infinite ammo, it always took me ten minutes or so before repairing the last panel before the aliens arrived.

A great "horror" game is Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines. It has quite a few horror levels (the scariest of which is the third mission). I still cannot go through to hotel mission unless I am in a fully lit room with my back to a wall and no audio.

The scariest games I have played have to be the Silent Hill series though, but don't play homecoming if your new to the series as it is completely unfaithful to the mythos
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 01:26:05 AM »
I only ever played the second Silent Hill game, but I had a fun scare watching my best friend play in his dark basement.  We had moved the PlayStation into his room and hooked it up to the stereo but we hadn't realized that the left and right speakers had gotten reversed, so when we heard something coming on one side, we ran right into it going the other way.  Scared the crap out of us!

Another thing we did was we had gotten some extension cords and hooked up the game and our old C64 monitor outside on the trampoline and played some horror game (I think it may have been Clocktower 3) like that at night.  :smirk
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 10:51:12 PM »
I can't believe none of you have brought up the Fatal Frame series yet!

Seriously, I couldn't finish those games. Part of it had to do with the main enemies of the games (ghosts) being outright cheaters - you can only kill them by taking a snapshot with a freaky old camera. The big deal? Unlike their D&D counterparts, they DO act like ghosts. Meaning they're completely silent as they move, they randomly disappear, they come in through the walls and ceiling, and you only hear them grunt and moan when they're right on top of you. There's no auto-aim and the transition between third-person and first-person modes isn't entirely seamless. To top it all off, the series is often filled with long, narrow corridors that make their tactics even MORE effective.

In other words, RE-style tactics do not apply.

The camera while walking around plays like RE1 and its successors up till 3 - which means fixed, creepy angles where you can't be entirely sure where things are.

And then of course there's the backstory. I only played through a good part of 3, which was basically a young woman with survivor's syndrome looking through a creepy house for her deceased fiance in her dreams - and finding out that the deeper she went into the house, the sleepier she gets, until she completely disappears.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 06:02:11 AM »
My girlfriend stopped playing Fatal Frame when she got outsmarted by one of the ghosts.

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2009, 04:50:33 PM »
So I decided to buy FEAR 2. I've got to say that it was fun, possibly better at being a shooter than its predecessor... but at the same time, it didn't stack up well on the horror side of things. The number of hallucinations has been drastically reduced and the game relies more heavily on pop-out scare tactics.
While it's still a fun game, the original did a better job at being a horror FPS.

[spoiler]Something else that disappointed me was the fact that, while they gave you teammates, there was never enough character development to make it actually bother you when they died. I mean, maybe the girl... but I don't remember any of their names, even. That's how bad it was![/spoiler]
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

Alyss

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 11:33:05 AM »
The original Resident Evil, after it was done up on the Gamecube. But the Project Zero series easily takes the cake for me.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 01:37:47 PM »
By the way, Alyss, welcome to the forum. Hope you'll like it in here.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Alyss

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2009, 03:28:20 PM »
By the way, Alyss, welcome to the forum. Hope you'll like it in here.
So do I. I'm still not sure what happens here though.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 04:52:30 PM »
HOLY SHIT, AVP2 PLAYERS!!! That game scared the shit out of me when I first got it. The game only gets scarier when you know what is going to happen. Even when I cheated to get invincibility, all weapons, and infinite ammo, it always took me ten minutes or so before repairing the last panel before the aliens arrived.

I loved this game.  It was great in single player, and can be a great multiplayer.  (Even if playing the Predator blows)

Alyss

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 10:54:55 PM »

I loved this game.  It was great in single player, and can be a great multiplayer.  (Even if playing the Predator blows)
He had all the best stuff!

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »
Repeat after me, "I will never play anything in the Siren series again"
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2009, 07:55:18 AM »
I found Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines quite creepy at times. Even at age 25, I still prefer to play the Oceanside Hotel in broad daylight. It's a bit old, and requires a fanpatch to run smoothly, but the atmosphere was great.
I don't get what was so scary in Halo. I played it several years ago and only did once, but I can't recall any scary stuff?

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2009, 01:41:49 PM »
Gawain - Did you play through the whole game? It takes until about half-way through the game for freaky crap to start happening.

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2009, 07:18:23 PM »
Gawain - Did you play through the whole game? It takes until about half-way through the game for freaky crap to start happening.

Yes, I did finish Halo. I remember the Marines and their General being taken over by some sort of little insects. That was exciting and tense, but not remotely scary. I don't want to belittle Halo. It's one of the few FPSes that I actually played and finished, so that says something about how I enjoyed it.

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2009, 04:19:53 AM »
*shrugs* I was about fourteen when I played through it the first time. That probably had something to do with it.

Current PbP Games:

winter_soldier

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2009, 12:04:27 PM »
I can't believe none of you have brought up the Fatal Frame series yet!

Seriously, I couldn't finish those games. Part of it had to do with the main enemies of the games (ghosts) being outright cheaters - you can only kill them by taking a snapshot with a freaky old camera. The big deal? Unlike their D&D counterparts, they DO act like ghosts. Meaning they're completely silent as they move, they randomly disappear, they come in through the walls and ceiling, and you only hear them grunt and moan when they're right on top of you. There's no auto-aim and the transition between third-person and first-person modes isn't entirely seamless. To top it all off, the series is often filled with long, narrow corridors that make their tactics even MORE effective.

In other words, RE-style tactics do not apply.

The camera while walking around plays like RE1 and its successors up till 3 - which means fixed, creepy angles where you can't be entirely sure where things are.

And then of course there's the backstory. I only played through a good part of 3, which was basically a young woman with survivor's syndrome looking through a creepy house for her deceased fiance in her dreams - and finding out that the deeper she went into the house, the sleepier she gets, until she completely disappears.

That game was creepy as hell, and incredibly frustrating for all the reasons you detailed above.