Author Topic: Character Development  (Read 19864 times)

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Character Development
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2009, 01:47:31 AM »
Why no +1 Parry? Blind Guy's need all the help they can get. (Actually though, I see no reason why not. It'd basically be a staff, but shorter. It also wouldn't be a primary weapon, just for fending off muggers and... things. It's like the blind equivalent of pepper spray!)

So, the backstory is fine? He probably wouldn't be too enamoured with his old life.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2009, 01:59:29 AM »
Actually, yeah, the Parry can stay. I'm fine with that. And yes, the backstory is fine. Since canines tend to be pack hunters, you'd likely be in a were-wolf apartment setting when off-mission. You'd likely be a member of the pack. Wolves tend to call themselves the Lukoi as a general term with a clan name for the actual pack. It functions not unlike a normal wolf pack. There are alphas, dominants and submissives.  But that's all extra information that won't be necessary until after the first mission. ;) But just things to think about. :)

One question - odds are you killed more than you infected that night, do you have a death-toll set in mind? If not, no biggie, just curious. It does open up a wanted hindrance from the Canadian government, if you want. ;)  Of course you may have made it away, too. Just throwing ideas out.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2009, 02:09:48 AM »
He probably wouldn't even know how many he killed, being as he probably didn't have access to a local newspaper... And later on, it would have just been "Were-Wolf Kills 3, Infects 1, 2 Wounded" (as in, 3 die, 3 don't, and 2 make the vigor roll at a -2. They were probably Lumberjacks.) , and he wouldn't even know if he had done it or not. This would have been literally the first time he had ever changed, so it would be nicer to keep the mystique and not have a government chasing me. :P

Coyotes aren't as strong as wolves, and probably submissive in the wild. Adding experience into the mix means that being wise or smart or tough or something would have value as well. I wouldn't mind being any of the three roles, Although he probably wouldn't be Alpha (unless this was a place full of fresh recruits, none of whom were Wild Cards.), and middling rank seems like a pretty good fit.

Would are were-things be in the same building?

Also, How much do we get for gear? The Blind Cane apparently costs 5 units of cash, so we'll need more than that...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 02:57:23 AM by Generic_PC »
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Shewolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2009, 02:48:00 AM »
Updated my character sheet, now I've got the trappings down and a name as well as gear, I'll post a background write-up tomorrow on the character development thread when I can.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2009, 02:57:30 AM »
Works for me. Mystique it is. :smirk Fear the Lumberjacks. :D

It would be a mix. Not all new recruits, but a fair share. We'll play it out and see where he fits in. :)  For reference, if you're interested, I'm using the structure from the Anita Blake series, since I like how she handles the lukoi. You can read some basics here: http://halo-productions.com/anita/info/l/lukoi.htm

Generally if you're not one of the leaders, you're one of everyone else, except for those you're dominant over and those you're submissive to.

As for who else would live in the building, it depends on what city you'd like to call home.  The U.S. is probably the best place for your character. :P
Some cities have varying populations (Los Angeles has a huge Were-Feline population, so some would be in the apartment, most likely, for example).

That question actually goes to everyone - What city would you like to call home when not on a mission? And are you living in a Guard apartment or do you keep a cover identity?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2009, 02:59:36 AM »
Guy would probably be somewhere in Canada, or in France. It's one of those things, speaking French... I just hope you guys don't ask me to speak french, since I don't speak it very well at all...

AC, whats our starting funds? 500 units of money?

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2009, 03:18:43 AM »
How exactly does money work in this game?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2009, 03:31:49 AM »
Well, we start with an amount. That amount is used to buy Items. Apparently the norm is 500$ or equivalent in your setting.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2009, 12:20:48 PM »
Canada is probably safer for weres than France at this time. Likely Eastern Canada after your fiasco. ;)

500 pecel is the starting funds, yes.  Purchase whatever you want/can afford with that. Similar to D&D, you start with one set of clothing for free. Extra things cost money (bags, phones, guns, etc). Note permits for certain weapons are required, especially when transporting legally to other countries.

I've put a lot of items up in the compilation thread. The ones not on that list that are in the SWEX cost what the book says they do (or in the case of futurisitic weapons - don't exist).
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2009, 04:08:19 PM »
More on topic here...
Why would a blind guy own an M1? Obviously his dad was a big game hunter. :facepalm

Actually though, he'll have like 390 bucks left over. Unless I want to buy some second gun. Right now he just has the stuff he's given (other than the billy club, cause blind staves are better) and a cell phone. Maybe I'll get a rifle, i dunno how far this guy could theoretically hear.
You could decorate your apartment? Or put it in a bank. :P Buy a wardrobe? Do you plan on undressing fully before you shift or just walking around naked afterwards?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Shewolf

« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2009, 04:20:41 PM »
As someone who got caught naked after shifting a lot, my advice is buy clothes...

lots of clothes. lol

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2009, 04:21:42 PM »
Hmm, a wardrobe...

All of those options aren't bad. 90 pecel is about 4 changes of clothes, + a second cane. Maybe get a bedroll, a backpack, throw the rest into a bank. thats like 250 pecel towards my new... Sports Car? oh, no license. I need something else to save up for.

Or, as shewolf tells me, more clothes. I'll probably need a couple more sets than 5. That'll last 2 missions.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2009, 04:23:13 PM »
More on topic here...
Why would a blind guy own an M1? Obviously his dad was a big game hunter. :facepalm

Actually though, he'll have like 390 bucks left over. Unless I want to buy some second gun. Right now he just has the stuff he's given (other than the billy club, cause blind staves are better) and a cell phone. Maybe I'll get a rifle, i dunno how far this guy could theoretically hear.
You could decorate your apartment? Or put it in a bank. :P Buy a wardrobe? Do you plan on undressing fully before you shift or just walking around naked afterwards?
What no animorph rules of skin tight clothing comes back, bogus...

You could donate it to my character, since he's the hacker/technophile, he'll be going through the most cash...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2009, 04:27:17 PM »
More on topic here...

What no animorph rules of skin tight clothing comes back, bogus...

You could donate it to my character, since he's the hacker/technophile, he'll be going through the most cash...

No. Alternately, I could just be a coyote all the time, and just have the cane and stuff...

It's sad, I'm at my encumberance with a Backpack, a Flak Jacket, a glock and a cane. Looks like next level is an increase in the strength die.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2009, 04:38:36 PM »
No, not crappy animorph shit. :P  Good old fashioned terror-inducing, bones-splitting, muscle-ripping tansformations that can make the queezy sick and vomiting. :D

The downside to being an animal, of course, is an inability to talk. That and wild coyotes tend to get the pound called on them. :P

Flack Jackets are surprisingly heavy, aren't they. ;)
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2009, 04:42:28 PM »
Really, WILD coyotes normally get the pound called on them? I wouldn't think so. Maybe the police, if I decided to start killing an entire streets cats or something. Maybe If i left deer carcasses on their street...

I need to manifest rabies.

Also, will the armour do anything at all while I'm an animal? I'm debating dropping it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 04:52:30 PM by Generic_PC »

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2009, 05:17:56 PM »
Ah, so you made me go read my own Aspects again and see that the same Family Guardian Clause did not make it into the Therianthrope write-up. My bad. :embarrassed I did write DIRE animal, though. :P

Yeah, regardless of strain, mass stays somewhat consistent. You don't shrink down into coyote form. A were-canine's form is the size of a small pony-ish. I've fixed the typo now, though. Size+0 animal form.

So yeah, BIG coyote will totally get animal control and cops called. ;)

You have rabies - it's called Therianthropy, and it's generally deadlier, since surviving were attacks is rare.

But to answer your question, no. The jacket will fall off when you shift.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Shewolf

« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
So I guess now that my character sheet is done (I think it's done...let me know if I've forgotten stuff), it's time to do a background and description writeup, yay!  It's gonna be a bit on the long side, so I'm hiding it behind spoiler thingies.

Background:
[spoiler]  At a young age, Anacoana's family gave her up to the priesthood to be dedicated as a servant of their gods.  She was educated in the Tenochca faith, taught the duality of Ometecuhtli, taught the might of Huitzilopochtli, and taught the omniscience of Tezcatlipoca.  However, it was the sacrifice of Xipe-Totec that spoke to her soul.  She participated in the ritual sacrifices and torture that are part of the seasonal cycle of rebirth, essential to making the crops grow and the people prosper.  These things must happen in order that Xipe-Totec be reborn as the shining golden one.  She believes these things fiercely and would have soon ascended to full priesthood of Xipe-Totec, had things not been out of her control.
A human slave, attacked her in the night, meaning to do her harm.  He did not succeed as mysterious powers came to her aid when she offered up personal sacrifice to the gods.  The slave was executed without even the privilege of his life being offered to the gods.  But the high priests were curious.  Stories came to them of this young woman having been seen mending the hurts of some of the village children.  Her enemies fell ill in her presence.  These powers, which they called to the gods for, but did not posses for themselves, made the priests nervous, and they declared that the attack had made her unclean and unfit for service to the gods.
Anacoana was disheartened but remained faithful.  She decided to see how the 'lesser races' lived, and her family gave a parting gift to her, a Tenochca gun for her protection while she spends time outside the empire.  While applying for a visa, she was contacted by a representative from the 13th Guard.  It seemed that the stories that got her thrown out of the priesthood had reached farther than she could have imagined.[/spoiler]

...aaaand Description:
[spoiler]  Standing at 6'2", Anacoana (whose name means golden flower), has an athletic build.  Straight, black hair cut just short of shoulder-length frames a face with bronzed skin and golden eyes that seem to glitter when she smiles.  Large gold disks dangle from her ears, and she wears a ceremonial-looking, but functional knife with an obsidian blade from a leather cord around her neck.  An expertly tanned jaguar pelt hangs from her shoulders.  She wears no shirt and the pelt covers her breasts, but only just.  Your eyes seem to trick you though, as you could swear the jaguar skin moves and ripples with an unseen breeze.  At her hip, a strange-looking pistol sits in a holster.  The weapon almost looks like a work of art, and you can't quite place the make or model of it.  Supported by a tooled leather belt that's been decorated with brightly colored feathers and turquoise beads is a simply woven skirt, the color of blue cornflowers, that does little to hide her shapely legs.  at her ankles and wrists are small leather bands decorated in the same style as her belt, but you notice a series of small cuts along her forearms.  She wears thin sandals, but you get the impression that she would be just as if not more comfortable barefoot.
Interesting fact: she owns a sweater, but has worn it but once.  Upon entering the us, a woman at customs practically threw it at her, saying "Jesus, honey, be decent!"[/spoiler]

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2009, 05:38:25 PM »
Well, I think I'm pretty much done. If anything is missing, I'm sure AC will catch it.

Oh, languages. Would a French Canadian grow up learning french, english, or both? It doesn't make too much difference, as I will be learning both anyway.

Are weres not allowed to donate blood?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:46:20 PM by Generic_PC »

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2009, 06:13:54 PM »
Your choice. :)  You have 5 languages, so assuming at least one of them is one of those two, you're fine. It's your back story after all. :)

And no, they're not allowed to donate blood. Most countries don't let them do a lot of things. The U.S. & Canada are the best places, although even Canada isn't as nice as the U.S. has been (from a legal standpoint anyway).

@Everyone: SDK & Shewolf are done, and Generic is almost done (see notes below :P). Irthos/Vinom, we're ready when you two are. Remember we're starting Friday, so don't be late to the meeting for your first mission. That's just bad manners. ;)

Generic[spoiler]Under Trappings, you should place your powers.
Altered form (coyote or hybrid)
Bite, along with damage.
Infection (@ -2)
Immunity

Probably not a bad idea to put your weaknesses under hindrances, too.

I'm seeing you took the Outsider hindrance. Did you see the part about being diseased on the Therianthrope thing? I'm assuming you took the Outsider for that, right? So you don't lose it when you shift? If so, that doesn't grant any points, so you'll need another minor hindrance to have gotten both the stat bump and the ambidextrous edge.

On the plus side, humans get that free d6 Skill, so it looks like you've only spent 14 skill points... :)
Other than that, you seem to be without gear or money. Which, of course, is fine if you want to be. ;)[/spoiler]
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook