Author Topic: Diceless Fantasy: Interest check/Brainstorming  (Read 10969 times)

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Diceless Fantasy: Interest check/Brainstorming
« on: June 09, 2009, 01:21:24 AM »
This is not a recruitment thread quite yet, but those that contribute will naturally be better prepared when/if such a thread pops up.

This is a check on interest for a Freeform Roleplay game. No dice, just good roleplay, only limited by your imaginations and a few basic rules which I hope will only be a formality. If you consider yourself a good author, or close enough, then you are the kind of person I'd be interested in playing with.

The setting: High Fantasy. Technology level will vary based on mutual consensus, though even in a low-tech setting an ancient civilization with more-advanced (Lost) knowledge may exist. Though this is not my strong area to begin with, a more important reason to ask for help is that when multiple good authors share a common world, the world should not be a world shaped by only one of them.

Villains: Should certainly not be in the hands of any one person, and should rotate hands between "Story Arcs". I don't mind starting off, but if someone else feels particularly inspired, they may take on that role themselves.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Diceless Fantasy: Interest check/Brainstorming
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 01:00:47 PM »
Hmm. I do need to work on my roleplay, because I'm taking up the mantle of DM for a while in my group. I'd like a chance to do some bit parts for villains. I'm pretty good at those, if I do say so myself (it's getting in the heroic mindset I have difficulty with).

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 01:29:09 PM »
I've made bad experiances with free-form in the past (mostly involving problems due to competitiveness between players and subsequent borderline-godmoding), but certainly I'd be open to have my mind changed. What general tone are we looking at here (serious-silly, cynical-idealistic etc.)?
As for technology, I've always liked the idea of a blend of semi-modern technology (perhaps 80s style or so) and more traditional high fantasy, but I'm open to most stuff.
Are we looking at one overarching campaign or plot line, or multiple one-shots?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 01:39:14 PM »
Ooh, this looks interesting. I'd certainly be willing to lend a hand with this--of course, Agita's questions are still valid.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 04:19:11 PM »
I might be interested, but I won't really have the time until july/early august.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 06:02:34 PM »
My first forays in role playing were in free-form (ffrp) irc chat rooms twenty years ago. Good times :D As long as people police themselves and keep the god complex in check (easier said than done), it can be a lot of fun.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 06:03:47 PM »
irc chat rooms 20 friggin' years ago? Wow, you were on the computer bandwagon pretty early :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 06:13:13 PM »
I have a lot of time on my hands and I like roleplaying. To be entirely honest, while I'm comfortable with diceless playing, I'd undoubtedly create most of the characters I run/play using D&D rules, and just ignore the silly bits that require rolling dice.

When it comes to "godmodding," I tend to err on the side of giving the other player the option to interpret how their character responds to my actions. For example, I'll generally use phrases like "swinging for the head" and let the other player decide how/where they get hit (if they do). Obviously, boring invincible heroes are boring.

Anyway, I'm expressing an interest in this.

I have some characters and/or setting ideas listed in this thread, if anyone's interested in looking.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:16:52 PM by dither »
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Cindel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 07:49:47 PM »
I would definitely raise my hand in interest as well.

As far as setting goes, Agita hit it pretty well. I'd love to see a mix of guns and swords. Maybe even flying machines with a "Crimson Skies" flavor about them would be great!

Dither's idea of "interpretative" combat would be interesting too. But you run the danger of invincibility as was stated.

This is all I need! A chance to practice pure roleplaying and develop new character eccentricities. My FtF players would loooooove that.  :lmao
My friends went to GenCon and all they brought back for me was this lousy signature...

Currently running: Sometimes You Can't Go Home

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 08:08:05 PM »
As far as setting goes, Agita hit it pretty well. I'd love to see a mix of guns and swords. Maybe even flying machines with a "Crimson Skies" flavor about them would be great!

I like the idea of mages in a Mad Max world, wandering from town to town collecting spells, dodging suspicious locals, and taking up work as gangsters (a la Gunslinger or Yojimbo). I like the idea of "ronin" spellcasters, and a pinch of FFX's (or Outlaw Star's) "gun mage" concept would be pretty friggin' sweet.

Dither's idea of "interpretative" combat would be interesting too. But you run the danger of invincibility as was stated.

That just happens to be my play style. I don't know how many other people play like that.

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Cindel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 08:20:45 PM »
Post-apocalyptic fantasy would be very interesting.

*imagines the Armies of Mordor with a nuclear weapon.*  :bigeye :bigeye :bigeye

I wonder if the Ringwraith flying steeds have nuclear delivery capability...
My friends went to GenCon and all they brought back for me was this lousy signature...

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 08:30:25 PM »
Post-apocalyptic fantasy would be very interesting.

*imagines the Armies of Mordor with a nuclear weapon.*  :bigeye :bigeye :bigeye

I wonder if the Ringwraith flying steeds have nuclear delivery capability...

Repeat after me:
"Multiple Castings of Apocalypse from the Sky."

If I remember correctly, the ideal use of this is with a high-level cleric, Divine Metamagic, and the Explosive Spell metamagic feat.

Um, but that's just thinking about it from a D&D perspective. ^.^;; I'm sure with the proper application of arcane sciences, the equivalent of a nuclear weapon could easily be devised. Heh ... heh.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 08:33:00 PM by dither »

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 10:50:32 PM »
Well, at least there's interest. :)

Alright, so here's what I'm thinking about a setting: A large continent with a handful of kingdoms/republics/city states(there's always a couple that "were always there" if they were ignored and forgotten before they became relevant). The technology level will vary depending on region, as well as the magic level. I'd likely say that areas with weaker technology have developed stronger magic and vice versa in order to become prosperous.

Also, I'll establish the canon of "named characters". If a character has a name, they're important. Most of these don't die in one hit, and when any of them is dealt a mortal injury, there will always be a chance they can be saved from death provided there is an ally present at the time they receive the injury.

The first two rules of any Free-form RP:

1. No "Autoing": You control your own character and in some cases your own NPCs. While you can cut through hordes of unnamed characters "mooks" with little risk of injury, declaring the success of an attack or magic attack against a named character is against the rules: you may describe the action, but the effectiveness is determined by the other player.

2. No "God Moding": The other guy did something very cool, he described it well, and not only is it his specialty but your own character has no specific resistance or immunity to it. It should probably affect your character in some way or another. When something happens, react appropriately, even if reacting appropriately puts your character into a tight spot.

Cindel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 10:59:48 PM »
Are you thinking of actual character builds for the players? Or would they simply just state who they are and what they can do?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 11:08:58 PM »
Duly noted. I look forward to this...there should be some heated battles soon.

What about non-combat actions? I assume they follow the same rules.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 11:19:44 PM »
Are you thinking of actual character builds for the players? Or would they simply just state who they are and what they can do?

For the technology/magic levels I was mostly thinking of the nation's military strength rather than heroic characters, who can develop the gift for magic even in a country filled with machines. Or conversely, they could have a knack for making strange non-magical inventions in magical kingdom. Even if there's a "mold", it's the player's privilidge to break it.

What about non-combat actions? I assume they follow the same rules.

Pretty much. Except in truly trivial cases or cases where the permission is been pre-granted, like the case of handing over an item to a named person who asked you for it. The item is in their hands. This is probably also a trivial case, but it was the simplest example I could think of.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 11:25:49 PM by skydragonknight »

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 01:31:21 AM »
For the technology/magic levels I was mostly thinking of the nation's military strength rather than heroic characters, who can develop the gift for magic even in a country filled with machines. Or conversely, they could have a knack for making strange non-magical inventions in magical kingdom. Even if there's a "mold", it's the player's privilidge to break it.

Ugh. I don't suppose we could change the magic vs. technology to magic vs. magic? Maybe Arcane vs. Divine? I think it would be nice to avoid the stereotype of magic vs. technology, unless of course, that's just normal people, and that sort of restriction doesn't apply to the characters. I realize you're saying it's our privilege to break the mold as characters. *shrug* Ah, never mind. I don't think it matters so much.

Uh, and you didn't really explain whether you wanted us to create "builds" for our characters -- I know I started rambling about roughly basing my character on D&D's power scale, but do you expect us to come up with specific ideas or just "broad strokes?"

Are we assuming a primarily human-populated world, or are there demihuman races (such as elves, dwarves, gnomes, etc.)?

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 02:23:34 AM »
Just sort of piping in, but human dominated worlds are BORING.

Totally do one with mostly Halflings. Or... Goblins. Bugbears?

That being said, I'm not very good at avoiding god-mode, so i'm going to just read for now.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 03:19:39 AM »
When I first started playing ffrp, I was guilty of godmode as well. I "fixed" that by playing comic relief for a while. I had one character simply named "Puppy", who was actually a golem/disenchanter beast thingy built centuries ago as an invincible babysitter for a mage's children. In approximate D&D terms, he was a large-sized vaguely dog shaped Tarrasque with built in AMF and a propensity for drooling. Also, playing fetch usually resulted in the utter destruction of all structures nearby. His sense of scale was also a little off. If you threw a stick, he'd bring back a tree... or maybe a drawbridge :D

My longest running character was also where my screen name originated from. He was the aforementioned mage who created Puppy, about 400 years old and obscenely powerful, but with a failing mind simply due to old age. I played him for about two years and almost never cast a single spell. He was the proprietor of a library in fact (gee, does it looks like I have a pattern?) and a lot of fellow players became quite protective of him. I was eventually asked to retire him because as his character developed, I essentially moved him through the various stages of Alzeimer's (even though at the time I didn't really understand how it worked), forgetting things and overlapping memories and mistaking players for his long dead family members, etc, and it was becoming too difficult for the other players to cope with it, especially since some of them had parents/grandparents in similar stages.

That all said, I'm interested... though I have pretty tight time constraints these days.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 12:28:20 PM »
Yeah, the only time I have even the slightest bit of difficulty with "god-moding" is ... as the DM. I have this tendency to place encounters for the players to overcome, and create cities and characters and background ... and we're talking about something completely different, aren't we?  :smirk

Yeah, I don't know if I necessarily ever had a problem with it. I always hated it when other people told me what my character was doing, and I always thought I was much better at describing how my character reacted to attacks/wounds/etc., anyway. I enjoy beating up my own characters, and I encourage others to do the same with theirs.  :D

It's isn't character development if it doesn't hurt!

I'm of the mind that the more miserable the DM makes a character's life, the more quickly the character levels up. It's the player's responsibility to help provide the DM with all the tools necessary to make their character as miserable as possible.

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]