Author Topic: Meg and Josh on Kicked in the Dicebags (Bonus: Collaboration)  (Read 17838 times)

jonathan_landreth

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Re: Meg and Josh on Kicked in the Dicebags (Bonus: Collaboration)
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 02:42:57 AM »
I'm like one of what must be like 10 Asians @ GenCon.  Although I did spend most of my time @ Sagamore, so I wouldn't know what the WHOLE GenCon population was like.

But if you were in Sagamore Ballroom, you could find me pretty easily.  I'm also not likely to be in a T-shirt, which makes me extra easy to find in room full of gamers.

Your avatar doesn't look very asian...

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 12:11:25 PM »
I'm like one of what must be like 10 Asians @ GenCon.  Although I did spend most of my time @ Sagamore, so I wouldn't know what the WHOLE GenCon population was like.

But if you were in Sagamore Ballroom, you could find me pretty easily.  I'm also not likely to be in a T-shirt, which makes me extra easy to find in room full of gamers.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that my avatar was supposed to look like me.  :rollseyes

EDIT: Your avatar looks blank and empty, although I suppose that's an adequate representation of you.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 05:45:14 PM by PhoenixInferno »

Robert Bohl

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Misspent Youth
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 12:25:43 PM »

That's a really offensive and stupid thing to say.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 12:53:01 PM »
I don't look like giant scissors IRL!
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 03:12:34 PM »
Liar!
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 03:28:44 PM »
Liar!
AC makes a habit of mooning people!
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Lakira

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 03:58:52 PM »
I totally look like a baby jellyfish.

PhoenixInferno: Do you game with anyone who's a minority? I find it's pretty rare, personally.

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 04:07:19 PM »
One minority group that seems overly represented in gaming is people wiht disabilities. I wonder why that is?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 04:45:08 PM »
Perhaps because their other forms of entertainment are limited?
Gaming only really requires a mind and the ability to communicate.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 05:44:48 PM »
PhoenixInferno: Do you game with anyone who's a minority? I find it's pretty rare, personally.
Depends on how you define minority.  For example, women appear to be underrepresented in gaming, but I believe there are in fact more women in the world than men.  Are they minorities?  Overweight white males with hygiene issues are minorities in the world (at least, I like to think so), but appear to be overrepresented in gaming.  Are they minorities?

Quote from: Zeke
One minority group that seems overly represented in gaming is people wiht disabilities. I wonder why that is?
I might add the caveat "physical" disabilities.  But since gaming is largely a mental activity, no amount of physical limitation (short of autonomic nervous failure) can really prevent you from participating.  For example, I regularly play 4th Edition D&D with a blind guy (guide dog and everything).  But even most forms of "mental/psychological/etc" disabilities won't prevent you from gaming.

Lakira

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 06:38:28 PM »
Depends on how you define minority.  For example, women appear to be underrepresented in gaming, but I believe there are in fact more women in the world than men.  Are they minorities?  Overweight white males with hygiene issues are minorities in the world (at least, I like to think so), but appear to be overrepresented in gaming.  Are they minorities?

Define minorities however you want to. Mostly I'm thinking along racial lines (though if you want to be picky Caucasians aren't in the majority globally - I'm thinking more locally), but if you've got another definition you'd like to run with, go for it.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 07:25:26 PM »
I do happen to game with women and other Asians frequently (but oddly never concurrently - and where are the female Asian gamers, damn it?!?), but they are quite outnumbered by the number of "generic white people".

Lakira

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 09:22:06 PM »
I do happen to game with women and other Asians frequently (but oddly never concurrently - and where are the female Asian gamers, damn it?!?), but they are quite outnumbered by the number of "generic white people".

I know of only one female Asian gamer, and she's me. I tried to drag my roommate in, but that didn't work out so well. My groups tend to have a lot of women (mostly white - though now that I think about it I may know some women who are half-white and half-some other ethnic group) which, I think, is due to the LARP scene. Groups that I've played in whose members are not (or were not) part of the LARP scene tended to be predominantly white men.

Huh. Now that I think about it, I can count the number of non-white gamers I've played with on one hand, even if I include the ones that I think are half-white. Mind you, I'm terrible at telling certain ethnicities apart, and sometimes I'm confused about what counts as white.

As for disabilities.... Maybe. But I'd guess that there are fewer people with disabilities in LARPs, and since a lot of my groups get drawn from the larping crowd, I may not see many of them. A couple of people with Asperger's is all I can think of.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 12:18:04 AM »

I know of only one female Asian gamer, and she's me.
There you are?
Huh. Now that I think about it, I can count the number of non-white gamers I've played with on one hand, even if I include the ones that I think are half-white. Mind you, I'm terrible at telling certain ethnicities apart, and sometimes I'm confused about what counts as white.
Well, when I say "frequently", I mean the individuals are the same, but I have the opportunity to game with them frequently, so maybe that changes the way our experiences line up.

EDIT: Oops, totally forgot about Jen.  She's Chinese.  So there's another one (unless you're her).

Lakira

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 12:41:34 AM »
EDIT: Oops, totally forgot about Jen.  She's Chinese.  So there's another one (unless you're her).

I'm pretty sure I'm not, but ask her next time you see her, and if she's confused about whether she's me or her, there may some weird SF thing going on. :p

Robert Bohl

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Misspent Youth
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2009, 12:46:19 AM »
I've met her and she's not you. Don't worry.

Lakira

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 12:55:51 AM »
Awesome. Now there can be an Epic Journey where the two Chinese females travel through terrifying landscapes to find each other....

... I'm so gay.

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 01:06:05 AM »
Isn't Jen just 1/4 Chinese? 

Though the idea of two Asian star-crossed gay-for-each-other lovers traversing a barren landscape is pretty awesome. 
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 02:19:11 AM »
I'm so lost...

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 02:31:48 AM »
Dude, you "tipped" me in my bra, you don't count  :P  I meant girls.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!