Author Topic: Meg and Josh on Kicked in the Dicebags (Bonus: Collaboration)  (Read 17837 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
http://brilliantgameologists.com/blog/93

Meg and Josh joined the hosts Chris and Jonathan from the newish podcast, Kicked in the Dicebags
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Dionysus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Meg and Josh on Kicked in the Dicebags (Bonus: Collaboration)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 04:05:31 AM »
Really cool :)

"magical bum adventures".. really...  :D

Anyway - the more i hear about cons, the more jealous I get. I really need to get my arse over to one one of these days - bugger the flight costs etc.

What is a great con to go to as a "first timer"...? (something to entice me to fly over from icland)

salvagebar

• Monkey bussiness
    • The Salvage Bar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 09:25:16 AM »
Meg:

The "kinda like Prime-time Adventures game" from Jiffycon you mention is called SHOWDOWN, a work-in-progress by my friend, Matt Weber. If you could make some constructive comments while your memory is still fresh, it would be appreciated.

Also, on minorities in gaming: Take a look at a book, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (it won a Pulitzer, so it MUST be good!). It is a little painful for me to read, since it so closely mirrors my experience growing up as a Dominican geek.

There's tons of Spanish slang in there, so someone went to the trouble to create a notation guide: http://www.annotated-oscar-wao.com/

- ABEL
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 10:26:14 AM by salvagebar »
My thoughts on gaming, movies, culture
http://salvagebar.blogspot.com/

burner2501

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Red Box Geek
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:23:53 AM »
Another most excellent show!

I love the frankness of your show along with a few others, like Bear Swarm and This Modern Death.

There is a need for variety among podcasts for the reason you stated in this episode, Meg. Not all podcasts fit all people. Listen to what you like and avoid what you don't. I can't stand the people who continue to listen to what they hate just to gripe about it. However, if they are listening to what they hate just to find out why they hate it or to understand their own views on gaming then they might be onto something for themselves. They just need to be constructive with their statements about said shows. That doesn't mean they can't say something negative, but they should be able to back up their statement even if the reason is "it doesn't trip my trigger." Basically, put some thought into what you listen to and why.

At this point there's at least a taste of many different podcast formats and topics on the net so people should look around for something that does trip their trigger. And, if they can't find that one perfect show for them, they can start that cast themselves.

Victor
Red Box Geek - The scribblings of a roleplay gaming geek.

Victor J. Wyatt's Twitter

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 12:59:22 PM »

The "kinda like Prime-time Adventures game" from Jiffycon you mention is called SHOWDOWN, a work-in-progress by my friend, Matt Weber. If you could make some constructive comments while your memory is still fresh, it would be appreciated.

Oh definitely!  We are going to record a mini- post JiffyCon review for our show and I'm going to put the real crunch info in there (as well as everyone's name and real names of the games!) I didn't want to give away all of my good stuff on KitDB ;)

Also, on minorities in gaming: Take a look at a book, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (it won a Pulitzer, so it MUST be good!). It is a little painful for me to read, since it so closely mirrors my experience growing up as a Dominican geek.

There's tons of Spanish slang in there, so someone went to the trouble to create a notation guide: http://www.annotated-oscar-wao.com/

- ABEL

I've never even heard of that-- I'll keep my eye out for it!

Actually, that reminds me-- I'm a huge Sherman Alexi fan.  I can't even express my disappointment when a couple of years ago he was supposed to be at GenCon leading a panel, "How D&D saved my life" and didn't show.  He's brilliant and is a huge inspiration. (His works were adapted into the movie Smoke Signals which is one of my favorites)

He wrote a young adult book called "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian" which dealt with being a geek on an Indian reservation.  It is spectacular, I highly recommend it (and it will only take a couple hours to read). 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Shoggoth

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 06:17:10 PM »
Fun episode guys!  I really wish I was closer to Jiffy Con - it sounds like a great time.

Also, Josh, you might want to pick one of these up, they're all the rage at my office at the moment -

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 06:21:35 PM »
What is a great con to go to as a "first timer"...? (something to entice me to fly over from icland)
If you're flying all the way over, I'd guess you'd want to go to one of the biggest ones possible. That'd be GenCon, unless I'm mistaken. I'll let you know if it'd be worth the flight after I go this year. :D

Unless you want to go this year, in which case feel free. :P
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Storn

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 01:07:13 PM »
HI folks.  Fun show to listen to.  Judd mentioned the show during our solo game last night, and I thought I would take a listen as I crank through a ton of Hero Games art.  I'm Storn, btw, one third of Sons of Kryos.

Why I registered and why I wanted to post something was the minority, lack of, in gaming.  The comic book connection (good comment that).    I'm not sure what we can do as an collection, but individuals can always just keep asking and providing the opportunities for ANYONE to game.

In my own life, I was married at 22 to a woman, puerto rican (I'm white).  We broke up when I was 23.  She did NOT roleplay, did NOT understand it and very much resented it. 

Cut to 20 years later.  We reconnected and we are back together.  And she IS roleplaying now, becoming quite adept at Spirit of the Century and d20 4th.  And she is enjoying it.  I think eventually we will have her on SoK.  Which, btw, is NOT dead.  We recorded a show last night.  So stay tuned. 

Her take on it 20 years ago was quite negative and she regrets not at least trying it.  Now, she loves the story aspects of the game, while being incredibly quick on mechanics.... kinda scary to me, she gets mechanics quicker than I do and I've been playing since 1978. 

Anyway, interesting show.  Like what you are doing.  I'm gonna go listen to more shows now. 

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 01:09:23 PM »
Totally depends what you want to go to.  If you want a con that does everything, then do DragonCon- it's insanity.  And you will definitely find super cool things and get to see stars.  And if you're flying from Iceland, staying on the East Coast will cut down costs.

Course Boston-Reykjavik is the cheapest flight.  But I can't think of any Boston area cons that would be worth the trip.  Unless just coming is worth it too with the con an added bonus.  

Any Iceland cons?  I would LOVE an excuse to go back!

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 01:13:30 PM »
HI folks.  Fun show to listen to.  Judd mentioned the show during our solo game last night, and I thought I would take a listen as I crank through a ton of Hero Games art.  I'm Storn, btw, one third of Sons of Kryos.

Why I registered and why I wanted to post something was the minority, lack of, in gaming.  The comic book connection (good comment that).    I'm not sure what we can do as an collection, but individuals can always just keep asking and providing the opportunities for ANYONE to game.

Absolutely.  It seems obvious but needs to be pointed out as much as possible. 

I think eventually we will have her on SoK.  Which, btw, is NOT dead.  We recorded a show last night.  So stay tuned. 
:jumping

Awesome-tastic.

Her take on it 20 years ago was quite negative and she regrets not at least trying it.  Now, she loves the story aspects of the game, while being incredibly quick on mechanics.... kinda scary to me, she gets mechanics quicker than I do and I've been playing since 1978. 

This is a great lesson.  Just because someone isn't into gaming on their first shot doesn't mean it's dead forever.  "When the student is ready, the teacher appears"  We change.  Our tastes evolve.  Of course our hobbies may follow that route.

Great story Storn!  Thanks for sharing!

salvagebar

• Monkey bussiness
    • The Salvage Bar
    • Email
Minorities In Roleplaying, or Roll Initiative With The Rest Of Humanity
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 11:27:16 PM »
Meg - I just realized the BG's had been in an episode of Heroic Cthulhu back in May of last year - I was part of that gaming group for about a year.

Listening to the comments about getting Blacks and minorities in role-playing really started my mind going. Here are some things that pop out at me (if I make any awful mistakes, go ahead and correct me and call me names)

Blacks and Hispanics:

How about some non-villainous dark-skinned characters on book covers, and in the art? DRIZZT DOES NOT FUCKING COUNT. There are plenty of Asians, because of the bizarre romanticizing of samurai (like the Spartiates, a vicious warrior caste of a slave-holding military dictatorship), but not many Negroes. While we're at it, where are the dark-skinned dwarves, halflings, eladrin, gnomes? There are plenty of brown orks, oddly enough.

Let's open the Savage World's Explorer's Edition... one vaguely Arabic-looking mad scientist on page 7, one black man in armor on page 57. That's it, in 160 pages of a book where nearly every page has art.

Place ads in places where minorities may see them:
RIFTS in The Amsterdam News
Perros en el Vinedo en El Diario La Prensa
Eberron boxed sets on those street side table selling urban romances

Muslims:

Here's one you didn't think of, I bet. Idolatry is a big deal - raising any device, image, object, or person to a place reserved for the divinity. Absolute monotheism means no deities, or images of deities, maybe even no reference to worship. In most vanilla D&D settings, politics at the level of divinities get a lot of ink, but they don't have to. Magic works fine with no deities at all, and there are all those genres beside fantasy. Games that are about fighting forces of darkness and evil outright, like Hunter: The Vigil and Esoterrorists (and I would argue Dogs In The Vineyard is in that group as well) would require hardly any adaptation at all.

I'm not clear on sex and sexuality, though. Any thoughts?

Indians:

I need some help with figuring this out, too. I know that physical displays of affection are forbidden, but what about talking about kissing?

OK - I'm tossing this out as a chance to learn something, and look at this part of our hobby.
My thoughts on gaming, movies, culture
http://salvagebar.blogspot.com/

Robert Bohl

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Misspent Youth
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 11:27:44 AM »
I enjoyed listening to this quite a bit. I played solo Rock Band 2 while doing so and it was pretty cool. I also listened to Zeke on Stabbing Contest so it was like an evening of BGs. Anyway, a few quibbles. While these two things may have been true at this JiffyCon, I don't think they're generally true.

You said that people kept wanting to skip the mechanics in Burning Wheel, and seemed to attribute this to the fact that they were story gamers or indie gamers or whatever. In my experience, indie gamers are far more persnickety about following rules closely than any other subset of gamers I've played with. Also, while there was no D&D at this JC--there might not even have been any trad games at all--it's not accurate to say that you'd never see either option at a JC or an indie con.

But it was a good show! I found it quite funny.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
stuff
DRIZZT DOES NOT FUCKING COUNT.
stuff

I had to re-read this three times to understand what you meant.
I thought you were trying to say that Drizz't doesn't know how to do math.

That said, in general, I agree that a lack of diversity is a problem in the gaming community (at least the one I'm familiar with).

I'm going to go listen to the 'cast now...  :embarrassed

Robert Bohl

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Misspent Youth
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 01:06:50 PM »
Oh, one other thing, the gaming community up here in Western MA isn't mostly women, but this particular play group happens to have a very strong female component. We're lucky that way. I also think that you find a higher proportion of women in LARPing than you do in other kinds of gaming (and not just because of the costuming aspect of things).

That said, there aren't enough women gaming and there sure as fuck aren't enough non-white people playing. But best of all, not enough people play.

Storn

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 03:14:39 PM »
this is a topic I've discussed and participated in before.  I'm a white, 42 year old, semi-maybe-no religion- jew, male.  Not exactly setting the world on fire for being all that different.

And I illustrate the very games you guys are talking about.  I've been illlustrating games for over 15 years.  So that is a fuck-load of images that I've foisted upon y'all.  And here is the thing, left to my own devices, I tend to revert to depicting.. gasp... white, male, heroic figures.  Because that is what I identify with.  It is what I see in the mirror every day (okay, not the heroic part, just switch in schlubby for heroic).

But I'm trying.  I'm trying to be aware of it.  Since I'm doing a ton of fantasy art for Hero 6th ed, I've made a dwarf black (he has shown up in 2 illos so far)...and my sword and sorcery duo is a mongol like female archer, more Indian, pakistani than chinese in skin tone and a axe throwing gorilla.  They've shown up in 2 illos.  Both are heroic and both are going to show up more.

I'm hoping to show more diversity...but it is tough, in the same pic as the black, corn-rowed dwarf, there is a large lizard man... no one is going to say, "wow, I'm really identified culturally by that lizard dude"  (even though in my head I based him on Adam Baldwin's Jayne from Firefly.).

Drzz't does NOT count.  His skin tone says nothing about earth culture.  He has aryan features with pointed ears and tends to be blue or purple in skin tone.  Now, from an art POV, blue is an awesome color because there is NOBODY who is blue in real life.  So it immediately points out the huminoid and says; ALIEN!!!!!  Ever wonder why star trek huminoids were often blue or green... that's why.

Good topic. 

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 12:18:13 AM »
Hahaha  :lmao
I know a podcast episode will be good when I'm laughing under two minutes in.

So how was the traditional Japanese orgasm?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 10:43:29 AM »
Just listened today.

And to think I worried enough to PM Kai and AC cause I was worried some of my posts might be offensive  :lol

Oh and Josh I PM'd you a link that may help you with your search for a certain film...

Lakira

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 04:54:21 PM »
That bit on minorities was really interesting for me, largely because I'm part of a visible minority (I'm of Chinese descent). Actually, I joke around that I should get business cards and hire myself out as a triple minority (I'm also female and queer) to gaming groups in order to add "diversity." Which is always kind of a weird thing to say, since I'm never sure what "diversity" I'm supposed to be bringing to the table. On the other hand, I can never know what it's like to game in a group consisting of only white males. I'm told it can be different.

I wonder, though, if there aren't groups consisting primarily of minorities that just never get noticed by the more mainstream gaming community.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 08:02:19 AM »
Ive certainly never seen any in Ohio.  I've been in gaming since the 80's, and I can remember seeing 4 people who weren't white males.  Granted not many minorities live in the suburbs in my section of ohio.  Racism is still a lil too strong here.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 10:38:22 PM »
I'm like one of what must be like 10 Asians @ GenCon.  Although I did spend most of my time @ Sagamore, so I wouldn't know what the WHOLE GenCon population was like.

But if you were in Sagamore Ballroom, you could find me pretty easily.  I'm also not likely to be in a T-shirt, which makes me extra easy to find in room full of gamers.