Author Topic: Troll Optimization [not that kind of troll the one from the MM1]  (Read 6098 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Troll Optimization [not that kind of troll the one from the MM1]
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2009, 12:00:57 AM »
A goliath is also a giant.
Nope.  It's a monstrous humanoid.

You might be thinking of Goliath in my Mythic Sagas game, where I use Goliath as half giants, and give them the giant type.

Granted, you've got some limitations to for this "troll" character, as far as HD/levels, but getting actual regeneration along with fast healing is usually really nice.  It effectively gives you Regeneration of a value equal to your regen + your fast healing, and then at the point all your subdual damage is healed, the fast healing goes on to heal your lethal fire/acid, etc, damage.  A shadow creature Troll is nice for this, as is a Half-Troll War Troll (war trolls are normally monstrous humanoids...)  Of course, I'm speaking from the perspective of a DM...
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2009, 11:50:18 AM »
Ok made the character last night. Rather than playing the troll, who we named Burger King, i am playing his son Wopper.   :lmao

Feral Goliath Ftr1 right now
Str 25
Dex 12
Con 22
Int 14
Wis 18
Cha 17

feats: Toughness (ftr), TrollBloded (1st), Tireless(free background feat)

Plan is to Take Ftr2 to get the bonus feat then Warblade, with focus on Tiger Claw, until i get into Blood Claw Master.  DM has decided to treat my claws as weapons for the purposes of TWF and most anything else, kinda like how a monk works. I would like to take advantage of the fact that my claws deal the same damage as a great sword and that i will gain rend but with my pitiful dex i'm not sure if i can.

I got to start with some basic gear, a large greataxe, and free MW Fullplate.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2009, 12:16:02 PM »
Toughness isn't a Fighter bonus feat ;)

See if you can get flaws okay'd or ask the DM to houserule Toughness as a Fighter bonus feat?

As for TWF, you don't need it. You can already attack with all your natural weapons on a full attack.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2009, 12:18:25 PM »
Toughness isn't a Fighter bonus feat ;)

See if you can get flaws okay'd or ask the DM to houserule Toughness as a Fighter bonus feat?
On top of that, are you using Toughness (+3hp) or Improved Toughness (+1hp/level)? If the former, will your DM allow you to trade it out for the second at level 3?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 12:20:04 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2009, 12:43:51 PM »
just using plain old toughness. Wow i really thought it was one of the many crappy feats on the fighter bonus list. I'm loosing my touch, i've been screwing up a lot of things like that because i don't read them like i should.  He will likely house rule it to be ok, my opinion on rules carries a lot of sway with my group.

Ok then what feat should i go for at lvl 2 of ftr, since that 1 level doesn't do anything for me IL wise.  What should i look for as i level also? I also need either TWF or MWF? for Blood claw, though i guess i don't need it as much now that i'm not going to be doing twf.

Suggested maneuvers/stances? What other Feats should i be looking at as well? Remember i don't want to turn this up to 11 for optimization i just need something that will be good the whole game and enough of a threat to prevent the bad guys from walking away.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2009, 12:45:18 PM »
Multiattack? Improved Trip?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2009, 01:13:01 PM »
Multiattack? Improved Trip?

I don't qualify for Multiattack as i only have the 2 claws, no bite attack.  Imp. Trip could be interesting as i already have imp. grab from feral. Those leading to trip then grab to auto deal damage, but i would need combat expertise first.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2009, 01:21:57 PM »
Barbarian 2 for Lion Totem (CC) and Wolf Totem (UA) gets you Pounce at 1 and Improved Trip at 2 ;)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol