Author Topic: X-Crawl?  (Read 2547 times)

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
X-Crawl?
« on: June 08, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »
http://www.goodman-games.com/xcrawl.html

Shewolf's boyfriend called me yesterday to ask me about this. Apparently someone at the FLGS wants to start an Xtreme Dungeon League, and he wants Shewolf and I to make a team with him and a 4th. Classic 4 person rape-face dungeon delving...

Attempts to locate the Source-book for this little idea have proven futile. Does anyone have this book/setting? Has anyone played it?

What can you tell me about its durability? How easy is it to break? How balanced is the 3rd party material, if at all? Did you have fun playing it? Any information at this point would be nice. Thanks.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Re: X-Crawl?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 06:08:24 AM »
I played it once, and I was incredibly not impressed.  A lot of that has to do with the DM being an asshat.  But basically your a paid entertainer in an extremely fascist society being run by Ronald Reagan, and the US is a continuation of the Roman empire.  You might be one of the few who know whats really going on, but you'll be murdered the second you even think of doing something because most mages are government issue and side with them (and spend most of their time scanning for 'improper thoughts').  It's sort of like roleplaying someone from "American Gladiators" if the show was allowed to be lethal, and the country was being run by magical thought police and 95% of the populace was effectively brainwashed by a personality cult.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:35:26 PM »
^Well this game isn't really the type that goes deep into storyline or character development. It's kinda like Paranoia I guess, but with more swords and less paranoia.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 02:37:34 PM »
Thanks guys. :)  I managed to acquire the source book and was horribly unimpressed. Especially since, as the guy running it pointed out, Two Fisted Healing was the best feat in the book.  :twitch

The actual rules I've been shown are equally unimpressive, but we're not playing the actual campaign, so much as running a D&D dungeon crawl competition. Or so I've been told. There's apparently already one other group looking to make a team.  If it turns out like bhu's story... yeah...

We've decided to run 4 Druids. At 3rd level, we have Stone cunning on dwarves, an owl scout, 2 wolves and a riding dog.

Did I mention the minimal book allotment means Wildshaping is unerrata'd?  :devil
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 07:03:04 AM »
Wow when I played I remembered Druids being outlawed as heretics...

Braithwaite

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 10:40:20 AM »
The X-Crawl book doesn't say Druids are outlawed, but it does say that animal companions aren't allowed in a crawl. Better check that with your DM.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 12:03:08 PM »
Really? That's retarded.

I've been trying to get people to explain to the DM that the concept for the Xcrawl would work better if we pretended the books didn't actually exist.  I did mention the animal companions to him and he didn't say anything about them not being allowed, so he'll get a swift nutshot if he tries springing that on us.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 03:13:10 PM »
Sounds like Smash TV for D&D characters. Coincidentally, I run a game like that at conventions I go to...

...well, to be perfectly honest, I got annoyed at how difficult it was to create different characters with different play styles, and so I wound up creating my own system. Which still vaguely resembles its d20 System roots.

(On a separate and amusing note: the RPGA has tried twice, unsuccessfully, to have my game banned from Anime Expo. It's all kinds of fun getting around their outlandish rules and requirements -- first they were upset that I was running a v.3.5 game after the launch of 4e, and they tried to "bribe" me with a 4e Player's Handbook -- then they complained that PvP elements were contrary to the purpose of D&D. Keep in mind that they never came directly to me, and went over my head to get my game banned instead. Jerks.)
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Braithwaite

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 05:25:25 PM »
The RPGA is actively trying to prevent people from playing 3.5 at cons? How pathetic.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 06:00:52 PM »
Got the affirmative that animal companions are a go. So at least that element isn't absolutely terrible. :P
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 04:46:24 PM »
The RPGA is actively trying to prevent people from playing 3.5 at cons? How pathetic.

Why does this surprise you? 3.5 is dead to the RPGA.

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 04:47:52 PM »
http://www.goodman-games.com/xcrawl.html

Shewolf's boyfriend called me yesterday to ask me about this. Apparently someone at the FLGS wants to start an Xtreme Dungeon League, and he wants Shewolf and I to make a team with him and a 4th. Classic 4 person rape-face dungeon delving...

Attempts to locate the Source-book for this little idea have proven futile. Does anyone have this book/setting? Has anyone played it?

What can you tell me about its durability? How easy is it to break? How balanced is the 3rd party material, if at all? Did you have fun playing it? Any information at this point would be nice. Thanks.

I own the core book and one dungeon crawl. I like the idea but I'm not sure how well it would play out. I do love an alternate history though.